Author Topic: Good Gowd just seen this on a why cats chew site.........  (Read 5386 times)

Offline nicter

• Senior Cat
  • Nicky-Mum to Scamp Bonnie, Willum Rossi & Poppet
  • Slave to: Alfie. Poppet. Rossi. Willum Merlin
Re: Good Gowd just seen this on a why cats chew site.........
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2010, 19:04:07 PM »
Sellotape strips work well on fabric sofas. Dont use on leather though ... I did and it pulled the hide off when I went to take it off  :(
RIP Tigger Button Whisky Maisie, Merlin and Alfie Pawprints on my heart forever

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Billy and Zarny (Benji, Fred and Ginger, gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2010, 16:37:39 PM »
I just covered the arm they scratch with cellotape and they have so far stopped scratching it, they only started because I got a bigger scratch post and so moved it next to the arm rather than in front of the arm  :tired:
...pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again...

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2010, 13:53:51 PM »
Hobbes' best one when he was a kitten was he shredded my voiles at the living room window as he decided he liked to climb  :innocent: hence we now don't have voiles at the window  :rofl:

Just as an aside what's the best way to deter Luna from scratching my sofa, I wondered about those things you stick on (not sure what they are called). Any suggestions gratefully received  ;D

Offline Claire_smc

• Hero Cat
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2010, 12:47:13 PM »
Wow, what an idiotic thing to say  :Crazy: Why does euthanasia even have to be an option? Better to rehome your cat to be with someone who won't mutilate it and will try and train it in an appropriate manner than either removing its teeth or just killing it because it chews things. Ditto scratching. If you can't accept that a cat will chew or scratch then don't have one

'I love my cats because I love my home, and after a while they become its visible soul'

'I have studied many philsophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior'

Offline Elanor3

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Indie, Ember, Fig
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2010, 03:07:24 AM »
Nooo, they get told off and deterred from scratching furniture. But I'd never feel it acceptable to alter their physical attributes purely to ensure they didn't. They're worth much more to me than that.

I've had a foster rat chew through cables when she was wandering and all sorts. Comes with the territory of sharing your home with animals. If you can't deal with it, don't. ;)

When ember came to live with us she destroyed my dad's table and chairs ... I just used paws away and told my dad I would replace it when we moved (but he is a softer touch than me  :) and just looked at Ember and said he could even be angry with her  :briggin:) and Indie chewed through most of our wires and my partner had to repair them but then he would look at us with huge baby eyes and we melted like a pound of butter  :Luv2: Indie's new obsession is my laudry basket BTW  :doh: Fig actually chewed wires and peed around the house for a while when she first came to us but I couldn't imagine being without them so none of that matters  :Luv: You have to expect that an animal with claws and teeth is going to use them!! Why change anything about a creature so majestic and amazing  :Luv:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2010, 16:59:09 PM »
Nooo, they get told off and deterred from scratching furniture. But I'd never feel it acceptable to alter their physical attributes purely to ensure they didn't. They're worth much more to me than that.

I've had a foster rat chew through cables when she was wandering and all sorts. Comes with the territory of sharing your home with animals. If you can't deal with it, don't. ;)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

• Super Cat
    • Gateshead CP
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2010, 14:48:28 PM »
It makes me more than a little angry that humans are so intent on domesticating an animal solely for our benefit and then setting about altering it's instincts and behaviour. There are compromises that can be made if you genuinely care about the animal you're sharing your home with.

My house will NEVER be pristine, because I value my animals more than a perfectly in tact item of furniture. ;)

Me too. I just recently bought a new leather sofa and it already has some minor accidental scratches on it from Luna jumping on it and where she fell asleep and fell off bless her but that's the way it goes. Admittedly I did tell her off when she scratched it intentionally, I don't want her to get into the habit of doing it when she has lots of scratch posts, but couldn't stay cross with her for long. The sofa now has about three different throws on it to protect it until I get one big enough tocover it all :rofl: I'd much rather have my two darling babes than a pristine sofa  :Luv2:

My sister's leather sofa has been just about wrecked from her cats and dogs but she wouldn't have it any other way.

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Billy and Zarny (Benji, Fred and Ginger, gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2010, 11:04:02 AM »
I had a lovely cat called Bootsie...My mum got her when I was 2 and I had to make the decision to have her pts when I was 22! She was a feisty one! The runt of the litter she could only be stroked on certain places and on her terms, and even then she could randomly decide she didn't want any attention and go for you, I still have a massive scar on my arm from her scratching me (she needed pills and that was a 2 person job, her back foot slipped and did a number on my arm, 8 years later, I still have a 4 inch scar, lol). It never would have occurred to me to try and 'modify' her behaviour. As long as she was happy and healthy that was all that mattered, the idea of mutilating an animal that depends on you for its entire existence and trusts you with its life is horrific. I loved the fact that Bootsie was such a feisty cat, I liked to think she was like me, small yet boy could she stand up for herself! (As you can tell I still really miss her, nearly 3 years on). She was an awesome cat  :) :Luv:
...pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again...

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2010, 15:34:33 PM »
It's just evil the way we try and mold animals to fit our environment. Humans destroy so much natural habitat, and our answer to anything that doesn't comply with our world and our ideals is either maim it or kill it.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2010, 13:46:58 PM »
Similarly, I saw vet Matt Brash advise someone to get a rabbit's incisors removed because she kept biting the other rabbit the owner was trying to bond it with.  The fact that she had put the male into the female's territory (on his advice) just might have had far more to do with it...

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 13:19:10 PM »
Well that's not only offensive as a 'piece or advice', it's also pointless. No vet is going to do it.  :tired:

In this country....can't guarantee it in others. :tired:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 11:48:15 AM »
Well that's not only offensive as a 'piece or advice', it's also pointless. No vet is going to do it.  :tired:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 11:40:02 AM »
Shhhh! The cat fur is part of the material design. ;)

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 11:23:19 AM »
It makes me more than a little angry that humans are so intent on domesticating an animal solely for our benefit and then setting about altering it's instincts and behaviour. There are compromises that can be made if you genuinely care about the animal you're sharing your home with.

My house will NEVER be pristine, because I value my animals more than a perfectly in tact item of furniture. ;)

well said,  although how anyone could tell the state of my furniture under the cat fur and toys is anyones guess.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 11:18:29 AM »
........................If you really have a problem with people posting, stupid, irresponsible pieces of advice, you can always choose to have their fingers removed. Agreed, it is a drastic measure, but I would rather see a fingerless person than a numpty post. This suggestion is only the last resort.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Go on, I dare you to go and post it there  :evillaugh:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 11:09:07 AM »

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 21:02:35 PM »
Ditto Susanne.

Nice one Den.

I started doing Home Visits for the RSPCA and it's so nice to see thta one of the questions I have to ask is about cats possibly destroying their home  ;) I've only done 1 visit and she had a leather settee and I told her waht mine's like and Bonnie's an adult cat and not to think it will only be while they are kittens and the reply I got was that she expected that.  Problem is some people think it's not gonna happen with their cat BUT they have to know that it will.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 12:51:19 PM »
Stupid  :censored:  I am so sick of the "it's better than euthanasia" argument that gets trotted out by pro declawing, pro mutilation camp as justification for their practices.  I just don't understand the mentality of these sort of people.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 09:18:38 AM »
 :Crazy: :Crazy: :Crazy: :Crazy: :Crazy:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 16:19:35 PM »
I can't believe that's on an advice site - surely it shouldn't be allowed.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline AllShookUp

• Senior Cat
  • R.I.P Annastasia 1994-2009
  • Slave to: Elvis & Miki-MooMoo
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 16:08:40 PM »
:O :O

• Super Cat
    • Gateshead CP
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 14:37:02 PM »
.... and if you have one of those nasty annoying cats that will insist on meowing all the time then "simply" have them de-voiced!!!!

NO YOU STUPID PERSON .... if your cat is chewing, clawing, meowing or basically being a CAT and you don't like it ... then buy youself a CUDDLY TOY and stop inflicting unnecessary and cruel procedures on our furry freinds!  >:(

could not agree more  :sneaky:

Me too - honestly I depair sometimes I really do  :Crazy:

Offline Elanor3

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Indie, Ember, Fig
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 12:31:13 PM »
.... and if you have one of those nasty annoying cats that will insist on meowing all the time then "simply" have them de-voiced!!!!

NO YOU STUPID PERSON .... if your cat is chewing, clawing, meowing or basically being a CAT and you don't like it ... then buy youself a CUDDLY TOY and stop inflicting unnecessary and cruel procedures on our furry freinds!  >:(

could not agree more  :sneaky:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 22:50:03 PM »
........................If you really have a problem with people posting, stupid, irresponsible pieces of advice, you can always choose to have their fingers removed. Agreed, it is a drastic measure, but I would rather see a fingerless person than a numpty post. This suggestion is only the last resort.

:naughty:

:rofl: Damn right!

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 22:31:08 PM »

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 22:21:33 PM »

:naughty:

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 22:17:46 PM »
And if they scratch you 'simply' have them declawed. If they interfere with your holiday or social plans or dare to grow out of kittenhood you can trade them in for a younger model.

:'( >:( :'( >:(
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 22:18:09 PM by Fire Fox »
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
Good Gowd just seen this on a why cats chew site.........
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 22:12:26 PM »
........................If you really have a problem with your cat’s improper chewing behavior, you can always choose to have your cat’s teeth removed. Agreed, it is a drastic measure, but I would rather see a toothless cat than a euthanized cat. This suggestion is only the last resort.

>:( >:(

Link to CatChat