Author Topic: wet food with high meat content  (Read 8614 times)

Offline Alex S

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Sadie
Re: wet food with high meat content
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 19:21:43 PM »
thanks for all the advice guys!

we started her on hi life today and i have to say it's gone down like a fart in a lift (excuse my french), her first half a pouch this morning was met with very little enthusiasm and she left two thirds of it however the bowl is now empty so she must have polished it off while we were at work when she got peckish. This evening's meal has gone the same way, she's had a little nibble but has now wandered off... going to persevere on this though, if she'll eventually eat it then she can't hate it and might just need to get used to it. Fingers crossed anyway!

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 23:27:23 PM »
Another vote for Bozita (~90% meat)! Of the commercial foods it's arguably the best value for money but many cats prefer the pate to the chunks in jelly so it's worth trying both if you can. We haven't tried Toplife but someone (?Mark/ ?Gillian) compared the ingredients and prices favourably with Bozita.

Raw is the best value of all but few on Purrs raw feed full time as you need freezer space and a carpet-free feeding area! The cheapest way to do raw is offcuts from a butcher but it can all be done from the supermarket for  around £1.40 a kilo. The advantage of supermarkets is that the offal is ready chopped and the chicken portions ready frozen so no faffing!  :wow:

Tesco Luxury is reasonable value (50% meat). Tesco Nature is a sneaky one, the named flavour is only 60% of the total meat content, it's heavily padded with cheap rice.  >:( Be aware that the blue packs of Feline Fayre (60-70% meat) are not complete so I feed a cereal-free kibble or Bozita on the same day. My final recommendation would be Pets at Home Purely (50% meat), the 156g tins being cheaper than the pouches. All these foods come on offer regularly so I stock up as Noah will eat pretty much anything of animal origin ... unlike some little madams! :evillaugh:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline DanT

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Mia
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 17:04:25 PM »
Mia has Deli Cat tins from Pets at home.  To be honest it looks pretty good and while it is a littl expensive at £7 for 12 tins its the only wetfood she will eat and not just lick the Gravy off.  so makes sense to buy her it.  I only give her one tin a day to go with her dry food which she absolutely loves.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 23:06:24 PM »
If you've got an Asda nearby they do Toplife Chicken dinner which is high meat content and more or less equivalent to Bozita.

Offline Alex S

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 22:22:55 PM »
fantastic, glad you mentioned sainsburys and tesco, we have both just round the corner! felix will run out this week so i'll be checking out encore for sure! thank you! we do give her some raw food occasionally but it's not the kind of thing we're able to do regularly.

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 22:17:13 PM »
Hi life is good and available in most supermarkets. Its 60% meat. They do little tins and pouches, I used to get pouches 12 x 100g for approx £5. Tesco do tin foil trays of 60% meat pate, lamb and rice or turkey and rice for 22p a tray. Encore from sainsburys is high meat content too. I've just started mine on Feline Fayre tins, 75% meat, 400g tins for 65p - I'm getting mine from my local shop but I think Asda might stock it. Bozita, available online from zooplus and a few others is 93% meat and was on offer with zooplus the other week. Natures Menu is 60% meat and available from p@h. There are quite a few once you start looking, you could also try raw feeding...Firefox is the best person to speak to about that. I have just started feeding my lot raw as treats. Hope that's good for starters :D 
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline Alex S

• Adult Cat
wet food with high meat content
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 22:03:12 PM »
Hi all, we've been feeding Sadie on whiskas then recently felix since we got her, i have to admit i never looked too closely at felix when i was putting it into her bowl but when i wash it out and there are bits left, once the gravy has gone i have noticed a lot of the "meat" is like rubber! Clearly they're bolstering the actual meat in there with something (i always knew this was the case but not to this extent) and i'd rather she was eating something with a higher meat content, especially as she's an indoor cat and it's important to me that she's getting the proper nutrients.

Can anyone recommend some food with more real meat? Preferably a brand that won't break the bank and is available in supermarkets (not essential, i don't mind driving to pets at home to get it if i have to)? She will literally eat anything so i can't imagine switching will be any problem at all!

Link to CatChat