Author Topic: Flectabed - how do people find it?  (Read 5484 times)

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
Re: Flectabed - how do people find it?
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2011, 22:34:47 PM »
Ooh that is good.  I could get replacement covers from the links you gave as they are the same size then  ;D - Cos don't think PAH do the replacement covers but will check when I am next in there.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2011, 21:41:24 PM »
The one we have is 660mm by 500mm ( 26" by 19 3/4") which they say is the small on-line - Is that the same size as your Size 2?

Just checked and it is.

The size 1 is great to put inside a bed but not big enough to lie down on for most cats.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2011, 21:08:04 PM »
The one we have is 660mm by 500mm ( 26" by 19 3/4") which they say is the small on-line - Is that the same size as your Size 2? That size seems ok for Sam and he is a big boy - my two don't cuddle up together.

Thought when I bought them in store there was an even smaller one but could be wrong. 

The label on the inside cover says "Wash 40 degrees - Do not not Iron - Do not bleach - Do not tumble dry -Do not dry clean - Gentle detergent"  The outer cover has a label of Petlife on it.

Not sure if you can get spare covers of this one?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2011, 20:44:38 PM »
You shouldn't really need to keep washing the inside part. I just wash mine once of twice a year. I do wash the outer though - keep meaning to buy spares. Not sure if the fleece or faux suede is better - the suede is harder-wearing. I have both - with the faux suede ones, I just put a small fleece over them and they can be changed easily. Those instructions don't really make it clear about washing the inner part.

PAH sizing isn't clear. I assume what they call a large is a size 2? - in which case they are quite expensive. The size 1 really is quite small.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2011, 20:00:46 PM »
Understand what you are saying Mark about washing constantly - Had mine  Sam's for 2 months and have not washed the inside cover yet :innocent:

On mine Sam's, it is the inside cover that has the washing machine instructions on it :shify:
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/flecta-heat-reflective-thermal-bed-by-pets-at-home-14052

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2011, 19:37:15 PM »
although the inner is well-made, I don't think they are designed for washing constantly - they sell a waterproof cover though http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Flectabed-Waterproof-Cover/productinfo/FLECTABEDCSZ3

I have washed the inners for ours but only a couple of times.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2011, 17:19:22 PM »
Thank you Edd and saw lovely Sam  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2011, 16:39:50 PM »
Are they washable? Not just the cover but the whole thing?

Mine are Gill - The outside cover and the inside cover containing the flecta material - both machine washable.  There is a picture of Sam having a snooze on his further down this thread. :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2011, 15:28:49 PM »
Are they washable? Not just the cover but the whole thing?

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2011, 14:53:26 PM »
Yes I am really pleased with it too, after a suspicious start, I can't get them off it  :rofl:

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2011, 10:01:21 AM »
You are right Mark. He is always as warm as toast after laying on the flectabeds :)

Defo a good buy for us.  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2011, 09:46:43 AM »
I was reading that reflected heat from this type of thing produces FAR infra-red waves which are supposed to help with joint problems.

Hopefully they do help  :)

Either way, at least they make cats more comfortable and completely safe, with no running costs so can't be bad.

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2011, 09:36:56 AM »
Have noticed that Sam has got quite a spring in his step - now shooting over the 6ft fence outside and  has also managed to get up onto the worktop to steal Chelsea's biscuits.  :sneaky:

At 15 years old and 7.3 kgs was wondering whether him sleeping on the flectabeds has had an effect :)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2011, 17:50:53 PM »
I think once they learn about the heat exchange, they are hooked  :evillaugh:

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2011, 16:55:33 PM »
Very pleased with the flectabed I got - Sam just loves them and has taken over the two - Has one downstairs and one on my bed :)  Chelsea however is not bothered and prefers to sleep where the fancy takes her  :shocked:

Here is Sam having a snooze:

Offline paddypaws101

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Nellie, Paddy, Murphy ( Now all at the Bridge), Peggy and Mitzy and Milo, Millie and Monty, Woody and Wiggins
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2011, 09:08:07 AM »
Nellie loves the Flectabed....and in fact has competition for it's use, so I have ordered another one. :shy:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2011, 23:24:24 PM »
I went to the local garden centre this afternoon to get some high-fibre foods for Lazarus to try and saw that they had Flectabeds - so he got a size 2  :)

Please to report that he loves it. He hasn't been near any of the cat beds but he loves his flectabed on top of the normal bed - he has the faux suede one (size 2)  http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Flectabed-Q-Pet-Bed/productinfo/FLECTAQ%20%20%20SZ2CREAM
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 23:29:14 PM by Mark »

Offline paddypaws101

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Nellie, Paddy, Murphy ( Now all at the Bridge), Peggy and Mitzy and Milo, Millie and Monty, Woody and Wiggins
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2010, 10:35:12 AM »
Well I just ordered a small Flectabed for Nellie my arthritic granny-cat. Actually she is doing rather well these days...don't know if it is the magnetic Bioflow collar or the Vitamin C supplement but her limp is pretty much gone and she has even attempted a few jumps!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 10:36:37 AM by paddypaws101 »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 23:37:24 PM »
I often find them lying on the hard wood floor - there is no way of working them out  :Crazy:

Just a recap for anyone that hasn't read previous threads. These have a pad inside. Sandwiched inside the pad is a special 'developed by NASA' heat-reflective foil so it keeps most* cats nice & warm. They are really well-made and don't make a crinkling sound (unlike the cheaper version). They come with either a fleecy cover or a faux suede cover (this is probably harder-wearing than the fleecy version). You can also buy spare covers if needed. They come in 4 sizes. The size 1 is quite small; OK to line a regular bed, but not big enough for a cat to stretch out on. The size 2 is great for cats to stretch out on. I think they are great.

*The only thing they are not suitable for is animals with hypothermia as they only reflect heat already generated by an animal (also not suitable for very young pups that are unable to control their own body heat)

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/prodinfo.asp?number=FLECTAQ%20%20%20SZ1CREAM&Variation=

« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 18:30:32 PM by Mark »

Offline Alex S

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Sadie
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 23:20:44 PM »
Got Sadie one for christmas, she's had it a couple of days and so far has showed no interest at all (typical...) and is currently asleep on a wooden chair instead. Is that more comfortable? REALLY?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 22:57:01 PM »
We have 3 of them Alice often favours them over her heated beds - yes she has 2 different types of heated bed  :Crazy: The flactabed with the faux suede cover is at least 3 years old and will probably last forever; especially as you can buy spare covers if needed.

These are also a firm favourite in this house. Kylie especially loves them. I put a flectabed inside. She lies on the bed using the edge as a pillow. She is a big girl and it helps her breathing as well as being more comfortable  :Luv2:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290404938206&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 22:39:11 PM »
After reading this thread, thought what a good idea for my two, so I got two of the beds. Sam just loved the one downstairs so much so that he has been staying down there most of the night, instead of coming up and sleeping on the bed  :shocked:

Problem solved, the one for Chelsea is now on the bed and guess who has taken up residence on it - not silly my old boy Sam  :evillaugh:

So thank you guys.  :hug: :hug:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 19:42:51 PM »
Ummm...did I mention that they seem to quite like it now  :rofl:

Offline Lindsey (thefunkyinuit)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 21:26:34 PM »
Lacie's Flectabed turned up today, it was meant to for christmas but i've given it to her early because its so blinkin' cold!  :innocent:
She's been snuggled up on it tonight, seems to have gone down pretty well  :Luv:
I might go curl up on it myself in a minute brrrrr!!!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 19:11:26 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 19:09:22 PM »
Remember I said they didn't like it?  :evillaugh:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 20:34:57 PM »
Ooh now that's a good idea Trigger, I do have an igloo bed (well, the cats do).  Maybe I can ask Santa for a smaller piece of flectabed to go in it  :wow:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 22:48:59 PM »
perhaps if you  have an igloo bed you could replace its cushion with the Flectabed
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 21:03:08 PM »
*stop press* Milly is asleep on the flectabed  :evillaugh:  Maybe it just takes a temperature plummet for her to want to sit on it!  I'm not sure it keeps her much warmer though to be honest, yes the underneath is warm but when she sits on the duvet she sort of disappears into it and is completely surrounded, which strikes me as being warmer than just having heat reflected up but being exposed on the sides.

:Crazy:

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 18:03:06 PM »
Oska's arrived yesterday.     Since then he has hardly moved away from it.       If he does his spot is quickly taken by one of the others.      I think it is a hit
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 19:01:03 PM »
Well this is where Kylie is now  :Luv2:

She was on the back of the armchair after clawing it when I went to get the camera, but had settled when I got back  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 19:01:45 PM by Mark »

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 18:16:39 PM »
Ooo-err, I thought this thread had died a solitary death, and now there's suddenly a load of replies  :evillaugh:

Yes Mark it is proper flectabed, it's one that is 26*20", that's all I meant by 'a piece'  :evillaugh: Yes maybe it is still too mild, I'm sitting on it of an evening with the duvet on top and it is definitely cosy so maybe they'll take to it better when it is chillier.  Thanks all, hope you're right  :evillaugh:

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 17:26:59 PM »
I've ordered one for my elderly colourpoint Oska who has arthritis.       Hoping he will take to it rather than one of the others that doesn't need it!
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 16:03:36 PM »
I know Alice loves hers and seems to favour it - even over her expensive infra-red bed. Its funny but she hasn't been on it for a few days, but good point about the mild weather. I know when I have sat on it when she jumps down, it feels really warm. Another thing I read was that the heat they give off is called 'near infra-red' which is supposed to be good for joints etc.

When you say 'piece of flectabed', do you mean flectabed, as they don't come in pieces, they are proper finished items with fitted covers. The same company makes vetbed & vebed gold which doesn't reflect heat.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 19:09:21 PM by Mark »

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 13:43:29 PM »
I know Mark swears by them, and I am in the process of getting one each for all mine - the garden stray already has one in his Mr Snug

it may be a bit too mild for them indoors at the moment though - Milly may have been too hot on hers
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Shazza

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Kayla
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 13:38:24 PM »
I have never used it, but when i worked at the pet shop i sold it to a lady after her dog had a major op. She came back a few weeks later for a spare one and told all her friends to get some, so from what i have been told it is really good.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
Flectabed - how do people find it?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 21:37:56 PM »
Bought a nice piece of flectabed for Milly, thinking it might help make her more comfortable with her arthritis.  She sat on it once (when I put her there), I got up in the morning to find a nice hairball and trail of vomit on it, and she has ignored it ever since, preferring to sit on the duvet instead.  If I sneak it underneath the duvet, will it still have the same effect?  Anyone else use it, and anyone find it actually does anything?  I was hoping to avoid buying one of those plug in infrared beds because they're a bit pricey, but as she's ignoring the flectabed I might have to give it a try!

Link to CatChat