Author Topic: advice on worming, please  (Read 1553 times)

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
Re: advice on worming, please
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 10:48:40 AM »
thanks everyone - I won't be able to pill Tosker, and he hardly ever eats wet food - and no kind of treat at all

so I think I'll opt for a tapeworm tablet at the vet at booster time and then a spot-on  six months later, unless I see any symptoms of worms meanwhile

and Trigger and Tiffany can have the tapeworm spot-on once a year at the same time, just in case

this is a new world to me, despite having cats all my (not inconsiderable) life - I last saw a tapeworm segment and cat flea around 1972
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 08:08:48 AM »
If you use somethign like Advocate or Stronghold, you can use Droncit a couple of days later, that purely does tapeworm.
Please spay your cat

Online Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 07:25:51 AM »
We use Program Plus injection here at the Clan at top up with Millibex and Drontal as worming some of our ferals is an art form - we also use Profender on our nastier ferals - Ace, Blue and Riley as we can corner them like a military operation but not get them in a crush cage and we have no problems with worms - I do need to go out more as I now know who does what in which grit box!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 06:31:41 AM »
Are you able to tablet Tosker? If he is catching pray then I'd definitely want to be using a 'covers all' wormer. I use drontal but they are mahoosive and a job to hide - milbemax covers tapeworm, roundowrm, hookworm and heartworm and apparently they're much smaller so much easier to hide in a chunk of cheese or similar  :sneaky:

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 18:20:45 PM »
Mine very rarely catch any birds or mice but once a year I give them a wormer - Milbermax or Drontal. Well the vet does it when they go for their health check  :sneaky: However I use Frontline for any fleas or tics.

As you say, Advocate covers certain worms except tapeworm. So I am not sure which brand of wormers would be best as there are many brands and types (injection, granules, tablets etc).  Maybe someone who uses Advocate might see this thread or I am sure your vet would advise.

But if an additional wormers needed, IMHO I would only give it once or twice a year as they are not real hunters.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 18:24:24 PM by Edd »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 17:43:38 PM »
Sorry you have had no rteplies to this.

I only have Misa and Sasa wormed once a year at vets at their annual MOT.

Because Sasa cant be pilled and spot on worrmer cannot be used at the same time as a spot on flea treatment and I wanted her strongholded, she was given a worming injection as well as her booster.

I noticed this had been done a couple of years ago when she was sedated cos wanted her checked out fully.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
advice on worming, please
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 14:34:32 PM »
I have never wormed Trigger and Tiffany, as they never leave the enclosed back garden, and the odd mouse or bird caught by madam has always been rescued alive, or if killed, always intact

but Tosker, who can get in and out of the enclosure, has twice brought in a dead bird, which I have found half eaten, presumably by him - I doubt either of the other two would touch his kills

I have been putting Advocate on him a couple of times a year, but does he now need more regualar worming? and should I be treating him for tapeworm, which is not killed by Advocate?
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Link to CatChat