Author Topic: Cat Flap  (Read 3340 times)

Offline catalyst

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Milo and Pagan
Re: Cat Flap
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 12:16:48 PM »
Depends what kind of door it is with regards to the fitting. I think if you want a locking system that works the old style are best that have a panel that slides over the cat flap when it's not being used. I'm not entirely sure if they're still on the market, though!

Iv been looking for this kind ever since you mentioned it as it would be ideal but cant seem to find them!  :censored:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 23:07:12 PM »
I have longhaired cats and it rains alot and the locking mechanism are tiny red slider buttons and although I dont use them usually, when I tried they were hard to move and once loosened they kept coming off, there may have been green ones two but.......ummmmmmmmmm

I find that my cats leave loads of fur and that jams them up along with the terrible weather.

Maybe if you use them all the time they are OK but Sasa also broke through when she was scared. On that basis I wouldnt trust them cos it was new at the time.

Offline catalyst

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 22:54:22 PM »
Why do you say the multi lock is a waste? Its something that i think i will use a lot so i would want one that works well.

I always thought if there was any point getting one seeing as il only let them out when i am here but may as well put one in if i can.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 16:53:38 PM »
I have a catmate flap and its quite good althought the multiple locking system is a waste of money.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 01:11:56 AM »
When I looked into catflaps a year or so ago I'm sure I read that Staywells got better reviews than CatMate ones. 

I bought a 4 way locakable Staywell but didn't fit it in the end as, similar to you, I only let the boys out when I'm in and it's light so didn't want them bashing the hell out of the catflapat night or when I wasn't in!

Offline catalyst

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 21:40:21 PM »
Our back door has a yale lock, bolts and a turn key lock  :shy: So lots of security. Its a solid door, wooden, without panels, so the door is whole. I think i will try my flat mates dad first as its cheapest! Then ask if landlord has a favourite handy man.

I definitely want one that locks all ways. I just have to put it in and see how the cats react. Bet they wont even use it  :evillaugh:

Thanks for help.

Offline BazandGem

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Bazza (missing since March 2010), Rossi and Joey
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 21:34:48 PM »
Re: uPVC doors, I think it depends on the style as to whether you can fit a flap after installation or not. Ours has a plain plastic panel in the bottom half (no metal inside or anything) and the cat flap is only in this panel so doesn't go through the frame in any way. The door fitter cut the hole etc and we told him when we ordered the door that we needed to put a cat flap in it.

If it's a metal lined door or has glass in the bottom, that's when things get more complicated. I just found the moneysavingexpert discussions too, just google "cat flap upvc door" and the forum discussions come up near the top.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 21:30:00 PM »
Does your landlord have a preferred carpenter? Might get a cheaper price and have someone to blame if there are any problems!  :naughty: Alternatively if the door is wood you could take out the old panel and fit a new panel with the flap, then reverse the process when you move out. That way worst case scenario you waste a spare bit of wood rather than destroying an entire door. Also consider what sort of security lock you have on the back door, clever thieves can use a cat flap as an access to open your door from the inside. There has been several discussions about which flaps are cat-proof when locked and which can be forced on the MoneySavingExpert pets message board.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 21:10:28 PM »
uPVC has to be fitted at the time of manufacture as it weakens the door if fitted after.

My door already had a catflap, I have the non magnetic Staywell, 4 way lock flap. When locked to in only, two of mine can still break out :tired: When locked completely they do their damndest to get out and have succeeded once using brute force to prize the frame out of place a bit and pull the flap open. Problem with that is they couldn't get back in :evillaugh: So if I lock it I have to put a laundry basket in front of them so they know going out isn't an option but even then they'll sometimes shift it to have a pop, usually at 3am when it's guaranteed to annoy me most :tired:

Offline BazandGem

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Bazza (missing since March 2010), Rossi and Joey
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 20:55:29 PM »
We used to have a Staywell magnetic one so only a cat with a magnet on its collar can get in - you can set them to locked one or both ways or open both ways (so 4 options).

we've now got a Sureflap which is microchip-operated, so only cats which you tell the catflap to let in can come in (particularly useful if your cats are prone to losing their collars like our Rossi!)

In a wooden door they're dead easy to fit, the flaps come with a template and you just need to measure your cat's height to figure out where the bottom of the flap needs to be and drill some holes in the corners then saw the hole out. For uPVC doors you're best getting a professional to do it - ours was fitted at the same time as the door but I had to turn it round as I got home a few hours after it was fitted to discover the inside was on the outside  :tired: so basically any cat could come in if it wanted but only ours could get out  :rofl:

Offline catalyst

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 19:32:27 PM »
Well Mr Milo is quite a brute and im sure will find a way out. At night i am hoping to keep the kitchen door shut so he cant even get at the cat flap but that may mean reinforcing the kitchen door!  :innocent:

Offline Cooper & Peanut

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 19:00:27 PM »
My OH and his dad put one in our door - I can find out exactly how it was done if you want. The one we've got has a disc that turns to 1) open both ways 2) only open in but not out 3) closed completely

If a cat is particulary boistrous, they can still force their way thru even when closed, which is a tad annoying  >:(

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 16:52:37 PM »
Depends what kind of door it is with regards to the fitting. I think if you want a locking system that works the old style are best that have a panel that slides over the cat flap when it's not being used. I'm not entirely sure if they're still on the market, though!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline catalyst

• Adult Cat
Cat Flap
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 15:00:11 PM »
I have been given the go ahead by my land lord to put a cat flap in the back door of my basement flat. I have a small garden where i let my cats out into when i am here. Its just getting too cold to keep the windows open to let them in and out!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to brand of cat flap. It has to be able to lock. Also how does one go about installing it! I am hoping to get my flat mates dad to help but if not i would have to get a carpenter from the yellow pages. Has anyone managed to install one yourself? I dont fancy cutting a hole in my door and getting it wrong.

Also my plan was to only unlock the cat flap when i am in the flat as i can then keep an eye out for the cats getting into any bother. But i was thinking as the nights draw in they only day light would be during the day so i could let them go out the flap when i am at work and close it when they are being fed at dinner. But im not sure how i feel about letting them wander about when i am not here as they tend to stick around the garden when i am here. They might wander further away if i am not here for them to stick too. They can be clingy cats.

Link to CatChat