Author Topic: Cardiff University experimenting on cats & kittens!  (Read 11244 times)

Offline SamMewl

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
    • Yorkshire Cat Rescue
  • Slave to: gizmo, gingurr, nemo, mittens and brujo. always with me, leroy w murgatroyd
Re: Cardiff University experimenting on cats & kittens!
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 15:21:22 PM »
I used to work in biological science (trees not animals!) and was often disturbed by 'secure floors' in university buildings that you couldn't enter without a key/code. Whilst I worked in science I made a point of contributing to the Dr Hadwen Trust http://www.drhadwentrust.org/ some of their research into alternatives to animal testing (and by CAAT in the US http://caat.jhsph.edu/ ) have been taken up by universities, so contributing can actually make a difference to the numbers of animals that suffer in this way. Without alternatives to using animals scientists can be very deaf to protest. Not that it would make a difference with people like these Cardiff university researchers who cannot justify in anyway what they have been doing.
:) Please text CATS22 £5 to 70070 to feed a cat for a week :)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 06:45:19 AM »
I think these kind of things need to be exposed on TV - that is why I tried the CP route but I couldn't even get put through to anyone. They advised phoning the RSPCA or the police  :tired:

Me too.  Isn't anything worth a try?

It is - unfortunately, animal experiments are legal, so the police/RSPCA can't do a thing - they need to be shamed into stopping and the university needs to be threatened with loss of income. As was pointed out in the article, the university is funded with taxpayers money.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 19:44:27 PM »
I think these kind of things need to be exposed on TV - that is why I tried the CP route but I couldn't even get put through to anyone. They advised phoning the RSPCA or the police  :tired:

Me too.  Isn't anything worth a try?

« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 19:45:08 PM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 17:40:37 PM »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 17:20:53 PM »
It's absolutely barbaric  :(
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 12:37:59 PM »
Mark, this is absolutely sickning. I can't understand how a woman putting a cat in a wheelie bin is prosecute while slime like this can
torture animals, in the most disgusing ways, legally. (Believe me, I am not condoning in any way the actions of the wheelie bin woman).

I know what you mean Moira. I said exacty the same thing to a woman at CP HQ this morning. She said that CP don't get involved in things like this and that their main job is rehoming/neutering. I said I thought CP stood for cats protection, not cat rehoming  :-: - she said that she was taking the official line and if she spoke to me away from work, she would have a lot more to say about the matter.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 17:37:27 PM by Mark »

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Oscar, Frankie, Timmy, Sophie, Dudley, Kofi, Maurice, Max, Barney, Sammy, Flynn, Molly, Nulla, Winnie, Patch, Sooty
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 11:59:21 AM »
Mark, this is absolutely sickning. I can't understand how a woman putting a cat in a wheelie bin is prosecute while slime like this can
torture animals, in the most disgusing ways, legally. (Believe me, I am not condoning in any way the actions of the wheelie bin woman).

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 00:34:42 AM »
No petition. It says the head of Cardiff council has asked the vice chancellor for an explanation but the refuse to comment. One of the lecturers there says the experiments are totally 'gratuitous' as cats vision is totally different to humans. The 'experiments' are vile and I have no doubt the cats are killed afterwards as they have been messed up so much - ie removing parts of brains while they are alive  :(  sorry but there was no nice way of putting it.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 09:45:11 AM by Mark »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 23:58:12 PM »
I can't read the details as stuff like that haunts me but is there a petition on any of those links to sign?  :hug:

Offline Lindsey (thefunkyinuit)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 19:54:28 PM »
Sickening. Absolutely despicable.  >:(  :censored:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Cardiff University experimenting on cats & kittens!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 19:08:05 PM »
 >:(

No pictures on links. These evil scum 'scientists'  need to be held accountable for their actions!  >:(
One of the lecturers at the uni has spoken out against them, saying they are pointless and there is no regard to the suffering caused to the cats and kittens.

http://www.buav.org/article/569/cardiff-university-asked-to-justify-controversial-kitten-experiments-exposed-by-buav

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2010/10/13/call-for-university-to-justify-kitten-experiments-91466-27458018/#ixzz12EK79L82
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 19:18:32 PM by Mark »

Link to CatChat