Author Topic: Lump on neck  (Read 4054 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Lump on neck
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2010, 19:24:11 PM »
Excellent news!  :)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2010, 19:20:39 PM »
Great!  :)

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2010, 09:10:31 AM »
Lump's gone!

It seemed to shrink over the last four or five days and now I can't feel anything there at all.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2010, 10:35:48 AM »
I did wonder about the need for FeLV but since they'll probably go to a cattery at some point, I thought it might be safer to get them vaccinated against everything.

There's also the possibility that one might do a Houdini one day and escape!  :shify:

Meant to say Edd, thanks for that link.  :)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 12:59:13 PM by jezebel »
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2010, 10:25:40 AM »
I have heard of varying degrees of lumps or swelling after the FeLV vaccine. Think most just disappear after 3-4 weeks like my Sam's - that was a painless swelling/lump under the skin.

As indoor cats, yours are not going to be exposed to FeLV risks from other cats, so might be worth discussing with the vet whether the FeLV booster is necessary next year. There are a few on here that do not do the FeLV vaccine for varying reasons.

Sam as he has got older does not go out for long at all and some days not at all. So I am going to be speaking to my vet about not continuing with the FeLV vaccination boosters annually, in view of the reaction he had.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2010, 10:00:15 AM »
Yes, they are indoor cats. Emma took them for their first course of vaccinations, which included FeLV, so that could be the problem -  although the article says a lump caused by this would  be inflamed, which I don't think Bass' is as it's not causing her any discomfort at all.

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2010, 00:11:38 AM »
If it gets any worse or does not go, suggest you speak to your vet.

My vet said the reaction was probably due to the FeLV vaccination - Did your cats have that ?

Here is feline advisory factsheet on vaccinations:
http://www.fabcats.org/owners/vaccination/info.html

I know from other posts that you have recently adopted them via Emma, are they indoor cats?

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2010, 23:28:05 PM »
Funnily enough, I wondered if it might be caused by the vaccination!

I wonder if it'll get worse - or whether she'll get another lump! - now she's had the second course?

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2010, 22:32:28 PM »
Noni also developed a swelling/lump on back of neck that vet put down to reaction from Felv booster a couple of months ago. 

Ditto with my Sam (he is now 15 years).  Took around 3 weeks for the lump to disappear.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2010, 22:23:24 PM »
Noni also developed a swelling/lump on back of neck that vet put down to reaction from Felv booster a couple of months ago.  As that was her 3rd shot, vet agreed OK to dispense with that part of annual boosters in future.

Hope swelling disappears quickly.  Noni's went after about 2 weeks.

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 20:02:57 PM »
So glad x

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 17:46:08 PM »
Well, the vet said it could just be a reaction to the first vaccination a few weeks ago, and to keep an eye on it in case it gets bigger. Which is a relief. :)

I still have concerns about Bass for other reasons, but I'll start another thread about that.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 17:47:21 PM by jezebel »

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 15:13:41 PM »
the one near the tail has been there at least 10 months, perhaps longer as he is not one for too  much fuss

the one higher up could have been there longer, as it seems to move around a bit, and I can't always find it

although he is a very lean cat, I think they must be fatty lumps, rather than cysts, as they feel a bit like fat
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 14:07:49 PM »
Sounds very similar. How long has Trigger had them?

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 14:00:51 PM »
Trigger has two lumps - one in much the same location as Bass, and another on his spine near his tail

they are both squishy, and can be rolled around in the fingers without bothering him at all, as they don't seem to be internal in any way

my vet has had a look, and is not bothered about them - I was told not to worry about them unless they change in any way, which they haven't
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 13:33:23 PM »
Her ears aren't hot and she doesn't appear to be ill in any way and isn't off her food.

Changes in her behaviour are more difficult to say, since we've only had her three weeks and she's a bit shy and skittish. Got her some Feliway on Sunday and she's improved quite a bit. To be honest, at the moment the lump is bothering me more than it's bothering her!

[And don't worry Michelle, she will be checked on Saturday. :) Just thought I'd post here in the meantime to see if anyone else has had a similar problem.]

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 13:17:56 PM »
It's always best to get a lump checked out .....waiting till Saturday or next week won't make alot of difference but please get it looked at. xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 12:56:35 PM »
They dont always give abs for cysts , only if infected, so as Sat is only a couple of days away , I would go as planned.

I dont know if it was anything more serious whether a couiple of days would make a difference if its appeared over night.

I would go on her behavioir and are her ears hot? If they are she may have a temperature and the need more urgent, as long as she hasnt been sitting near a heat source.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 11:22:33 AM »
Trouble is, her insurance doesn't kick in till Saturday!

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 11:21:13 AM »
Poor Bass, my first cat suddenly seemed to developed a lump overnight as you describe and in the same place.  I was worried and took her to the vets the same day and it was a cyst which the vet lanced.  However if it is a cyst then abs will be needed so I personally would make an appointment asap.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
Lump on neck
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 11:14:26 AM »
I've found a lump on Bass (my 10-year old female) - it's on her neck, almost between her shoulderblades, and quite big - larger than a pea but not big enough to stick out and be noticeable. It doesn't seem to be causing her any pain or discomfort but obviously it's a worry (for me!). Could it be something fairly straightforward - like a cyst?

She and her sister are having their jabs on Saturday so I'll get the vet to take a look then.

Link to CatChat