Author Topic: Felix or Whiskas?  (Read 21503 times)

Offline Ellen2010

• Distinguished Cat
  • Sophie 9/93 - 3/10/11 Play hard my little angel
  • Slave to: Timmy, Baby, Danita, Tia, Miffy and Domino
Re: Felix or Whiskas?
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2010, 10:27:40 AM »
helen, i have just been reading through this post, it always makes me giggle when this sort of thing comes up, from my many years of studdying animal courses and cat ownership my opinion is that if they have been raised on one type of food and are perfectly happy on it for years and are heathy cats, then continue feeding the same, by swapping and switching foods around u are creating more fussy cats, they will soon learn its botiza or nothing and go back to eating it, they wont starve themselves

this is just an opinion, have had cats for 17 years and they have always eaten what they are given, they dont get a second choice if they turn their noises up, food is bought with quality and value for money in mind

I also have animal care qualifications and have had cats for around 20 years.  Some cats are choosy in what they eat and not through the owners fault either.  My youngest cat would eat any food before going in the vets in August and since his 3 days hospitalisation as they tried him on chunks will only now eat Felix As Good As it Looks range and no matter what will not eat anything else and have left him upto 4 days before giving in to him.  Since the vets tried to give him medication on his food and tried him with a special diet he has refused point blank to eat either supermeat or chunks in either gravy or jelly.  Some cats will starve themselves if they think it is something they do no like.  It is the same as feeding you all the foods you hate you would do without rather than eat it.
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

Offline mervyn7451

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy Fuzzlebug.
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2010, 13:37:57 PM »
Well,Daisy's thrown me a curveball! After trying different makes of catfood to find one she like,the new shop in the town have Whiska's mixed in jelly.Now I did'nt get them before as some of them were fish pouches,something she wouldn't eat in other makes. :-:

Guess what?....She loves them!!! :evillaugh:

So cue a big stock up uf these pouches while they're on offer!! :naughty:
center]Please join the Purrs save a life draw - £2 a month is all it takes!
Help the rescues to help the cats in their care plus the chance to win £££  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,38217.0.html
[/center]
[img

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2010, 01:08:27 AM »
Noah has only ever refused one (sample of dry) food, gave me the same look he does when he sniffs any of my vegetarian meals. :rofl: He definitely prefers the Bozita pate over the Bozita chunks in jelly as he purrs while he waits, an honour previously reserved for raw chicken and shellfish.  :Luv: I am pretty sure Paddypaws also swears by Bozita pate over the jelly version and I have heard quite a few recommendations for the Classic.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2010, 09:19:33 AM »
My two seem to have gone off Felix fish selection in jelly, after i'd bought 48 pouches when they were on offer 'sigh'. Even Charlie, my semi feral factory cat turns his nose up at it! Every time i try to sneak it in on odd days, they just leave it!  :rofl:

Both seem to like Sheba and Chuch ADORES Feline Fayre black pouches, but only the one with prawns in,   ;) and will eat a whole pouch in one sitting   :rofl:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2010, 01:58:36 AM »
helen, i have just been reading through this post, it always makes me giggle when this sort of thing comes up, from my many years of studdying animal courses and cat ownership my opinion is that if they have been raised on one type of food and are perfectly happy on it for years and are heathy cats, then continue feeding the same, by swapping and switching foods around u are creating more fussy cats, they will soon learn its botiza or nothing and go back to eating it, they wont starve themselves

this is just an opinion, have had cats for 17 years and they have always eaten what they are given, they dont get a second choice if they turn their noises up, food is bought with quality and value for money in mind

I had a cat that would starve herself and the only way of getting her to eat was to give her what she liked.

Mine have all gone off Felix and am sure thay have changed the recipe, first it was the birmans then the big cats. All are on gourmet pate and franta also licks the sauce of chicken in white sauce.

None will eat whiskers and tried Purely from PAH and after a couple of meals the big cats wouldnt eat that either.

Always have good biscuits but little Ducha gets sick when he devours loads of biscuits.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2010, 17:42:31 PM »
I agree about not getting a second choice, but feeding a variety of foods doesnt create fussy cats - mine have a huge variety and they eat it all - from Butchers Classic to raw lol!  ;)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2010, 13:43:11 PM »

I agree! I tried two types of Whiskas and two types of Felix and the only one that was eaten was the Felix AGAIL which Riley ate!

I actually think Lu is a bit poorly, rather than suddenly going off Bozita as I first thought, as he hasn't eaten properly including his dry food for over a week now. I took him to the vets this morning and there's nothing obvious that the vet could find so vet thought, as I do, that he prob has a mild case of what Riley had a few weeks ago as he still seems playful, happy, purring etc  He's been nibbling both Bozita and dry food a bit more over the last few days so he's still not right but I'm going to be sticking to Bozita as it's a decent food at a good price so everyone's happy!  :)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 13:50:12 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline rachelburdett20

• Adult Cat
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2010, 13:34:16 PM »

Offline Ellen2010

• Distinguished Cat
  • Sophie 9/93 - 3/10/11 Play hard my little angel
  • Slave to: Timmy, Baby, Danita, Tia, Miffy and Domino
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2010, 10:46:06 AM »
Ok guys you are going to laugh at this one.

Whiskas supermeat Chicken flavour for my golden oldie for 2 reasons and both are medical
1.  Easier to mix in her renalzin
2. Is the only flavour I can get singularly of the ones she is allowed because of her kidney problems

Felix As Good As It Looks for the baby of my cats.

1. Since being hospitalised with feline lower urinary tract disease will only eat this type of cat food as the vets tried him on the chunks in jelly/gravy special diet so now he will not touch them as he did not like it.

Ok so they are pampered pets and I give into their whims  :rofl:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 10:47:05 AM by Ellen2010 »
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2010, 19:48:28 PM »
The boys from Del Monte... they say  :yuk: to Whiskas supermeat too. Seems only Dreamies and chicken breast will do  :tired:

I'll give it a few more days and if Lu doesn't start eating properly he's off to the vets, it took Riley over a week to start eating properly so he may have a much milder version of what Riley had. If he was at all 'unwell' I'd pack him off straight away but he is still playing, purring, cuddling and has no prblem eating Dreamies so don't think there can be too much wrong with him.

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2010, 14:20:28 PM »
I agree with Ang with whatever is on offer and don't let them play you up if they are hungry they will eat.

Mine also like Tescos own make in the pouches thay are as good as any.

For a treat a bit of fresh chicken or ham goes down a treat.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2010, 13:22:48 PM »
whatever's on offer!

morrisons whiska simply for the next month at £2 per box (with savings going to the traffic police malevolent fund!  >:()

Offline mervyn7451

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy Fuzzlebug.
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2010, 12:48:28 PM »
Daisy cat gets both Whiskas Simply,Kite Kat in Jelly & Felix 'as good as it looks' or 'Sensations' to give her a bit of veriety,which she likes.
Tesco's have Felix on offer at £3.25 a box & Kite Kat at £2.50 a box.. :wow:

Merv &

:D: :A: :I: :S: :Y:
center]Please join the Purrs save a life draw - £2 a month is all it takes!
Help the rescues to help the cats in their care plus the chance to win £££  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,38217.0.html
[/center]
[img

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2010, 12:33:19 PM »
I tried Tyler with Whiskas chicken in Jelly last night and she turned her nose up and walker away, but she will demolish whiskas in chicken if its out a tin. I smelled them both and there is certainly a deiiference. She had felix agail chicken the other night and she liked that which supprises me as she is more a tin cat

Just wonder difference from tin food to pouch food
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2010, 22:37:38 PM »
The weird thing is that they've eaten Bozita cartons pretty much all their life (they're 3 1/2 now) and have suddenly both gone off it. They do eat dry aswell but Lu probably eats more dry than Riley, he's not been eating as much dry as normal either.

I'm wondering if perhaps he has a mild version of what Riley had, as I said he's his normal happy self (Riley became very lethargic/depressed) so that would explain the decreased appetite.

Both boys refused normal Whiskas chicken jelly and normal Felix chicken jelly so there goes my experiment  :evillaugh: Lu has eaten some chicken breast and had a nibble of Bozita so it's obviously more palatable to him than Felix or Whiskas! He can still inhale treats so I'm not too worried about him!   Riley liked the AGAIL and I still have Whiskas rabbit supermeat to try...

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2010, 21:05:28 PM »
I read somewhere Helen that Bozita is available in tins and cats that didnt like the cartons of Bozita liked the tins?

I think Lu is trying his luck - my Raffiki is the same, do your boys eat dry aswell?
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2010, 19:57:28 PM »
Whiskas but just Supermeat.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2010, 19:11:38 PM »
He's his normal happy self and is playing, purring, cuddling etc but hardly eating. He can still hoover treats up though which makes me wonder if he's 'playing' me  :shify:

Ahhhhh been speaking to Orion has he?? You may remember me posting in a panic when Orion arrived over as he would happily eat wet food, meat and treats but was refusing to eat any dry food at all. I emailed his breeder to ask if Orion didn't eat any dry food at all or whether he just didn't eat any of the 3 types of dry I had put down for him and his breeder replied and told me that Orion most certainly did eat dry food (including 2 of the 3 makes I had down for him!!) and that he was playing me as he loves wet food and meat and worked out that if he didn't eat the dry I'd panic that he wasn't eating and give him wet or meat instead. I stuck to my guns and only gave him a tiny bit of wet (so he didn't totally starve) and as soon as he realised I wasn't going to give in and give him wet/meat all the time he confessed that he did eat dry food.
Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2010, 18:55:10 PM »
Riley likes Felix AGAIL but Lu wouldn't even lick it so Riley had both portions  :tired: I'm getting a bit worried about Lu now, he's definitely hungry as he's meowing and rushing over when bowls are put down but he won't touch his old food or any new food. He's his normal happy self and is playing, purring, cuddling etc but hardly eating. He can still hoover treats up though which makes me wonder if he's 'playing' me  :shify:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2010, 16:01:29 PM »
They obviously have you well trained - fortunately the competition for the stuff the others won't eat means no waste hear :shocked: :rofl:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 15:55:00 PM »
Well I bought a few sachets of different ones to try. First serving - Felix jelly chicken... they rushed up to the bowl but didn't even lick it :tired: Have some Felix AGAIL, whiskas jelly and whiskas supermeat to try so fingers crossed.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 07:53:47 AM »
I find Whiskas upsets most cats.

Huge generalisation there! Its never upset any of my cats. :)

Sorry Gillian, it was just my observation from the foster cats and my own cats over the past few years. Simply does seem to be better though, that didn't upset Ellies tum, but she hated the Whiskas in Gravy.
Please spay your cat

Offline princessmaizie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010, 19:42:12 PM »
Maizie won't eat whiskers or felix the picky little madam she is!!

Have you thought about the new high life 'potty about' range?? I bought them on someone suggestion from here (maybe Mark's??) and Maizie seems to love them!!  ;D

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 18:39:52 PM »
Ella and Effie aren't a fan of either. Effie much prefers dry food and Ella lives in hope she will just be able to eat a human diet!!!!

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 17:34:21 PM »
I've given up trying to give Hobbes any of the better quality wet foods cos he just won't eat it  :shify: I too compensate by giving him a better quality dry which he will eat. Still end off throwing wet food away though  :Crazy:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 15:09:04 PM »
OK I'll admit it.  I buy whichever of the two is on offer and no food gets chucked away in our house.  We get quality dry food to make up for it though. 

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 14:17:28 PM »
Hobbes is a Felix boy through and through, he only likes the jelly ones of the normal Felix but has now developed a taste for Sensations and AGAIL after I bought some when it was on offer. He now only eats the normal one under suffrance  :rofl: He doesn't like Whiskas at all, just turns his nose up at it and walks off disdainfully  :rofl: Dylan used to like it though and it never upset his tummy, mind you he would eat most things bless him  :Luv2:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 12:55:29 PM »
I find Whiskas upsets most cats.

Huge generalisation there! Its never upset any of my cats. :)

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 10:46:44 AM »
Ive reached the point where Amber will only eat Felix senior and although I keep buying other brands to try and vary her diet so just looks at them
love
Tab

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 10:41:31 AM »
I would say Whiskas for supermeat as it has no cereal in. For Jelly or Gravy food, Felix. In jelly is preferable to gravy as I'm pretty sure gravy versions have more cereal in and I have heard of it upsetting tums more. One thing I have noticed is that felix has fish in the ingredients; the ones that are supposed to be meat flavours that is  :evillaugh: - I find Felix smells more meat than Whiskas, which I always think smells like an ashtray  :sick:

Have you tried Toplife cartons?

My lot won't touch Classic - I even tried the pouches recently but no luck - shame is it is cereal-free.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 10:43:06 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 10:35:14 AM »
Neither. Sage has a delicate tummy (due to her delicate mental state.... ;)) and we've found the only meat she can seem to stomach properly other than chicken breast is Classic cat meat. :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 08:12:18 AM »
I find Whiskas upsets most cats. The ingredients on the Felix pouches I have handy are Meat and animal derivatives, fish and fish derivatives, minerals, various sugars - and I think all 3 kinds of Felix I have (jelly, gravy, supermeat) all say the same.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 00:24:43 AM »
Sorry, Whiskas all the way LOL!  ;) - but only Whiskas Supermeat or Whiskas Simply (both cereal/grain free).  Helen your boys are used to grain/cereal free with Bozita, I'd be careful with a lot of the wets in gravy/jelly, as those ones tend to have cereals, wheareas the pate/terrine/supermeat type ones don't tend to.

Some Sheba varieties don't have cereals (again, the pate type ones), but the gravy ones do.

Have you got a Co-op nearby? Their Gourmet brand in foil trays is good, no cereals, but it is a pate not jelly.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 00:01:12 AM »
Felix it is then  ;D I know all cats are different but it seems to be favoured in my small independent survey  :naughty:

the Bozita I get from Zooplus is made in Sweden, Helen - are there different places of manufacture under the same brand name, do you think?

none of my three will eat all of the flavours of any of the different packs of Felix or Whiskas, but all will eat any of the Bozita flavours

Sweden / Germany, same difference - I can't read either language  :evillaugh: I knew Bozita was Swedish but I'm sure the packaging was in German. The UK stuff still says 'produced in Sweden' on it but I just thought it was odd that since geeing the UK batch the boys have not been interested in it.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 16:13:38 PM »
Felix As Good as It Looks is Poot's firm favourite  ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 16:11:58 PM »
Felix in this house too always in Jelly, currently we're on as good as it looks.

When I dared to even give them Whistkers, Milo ate it and Jess want on hunger strike  :innocent:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 14:54:09 PM »
Felix all the way. Always in jelly. I only buy the boxes that do not contain bugs bunny - he loves every flavour that he's had.

His most favourite treat is Gourmet Perle - beef pate.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 14:27:22 PM »
the Bozita I get from Zooplus is made in Sweden, Helen - are there different places of manufacture under the same brand name, do you think?

none of my three will eat all of the flavours of any of the different packs of Felix or Whiskas, but all will eat any of the Bozita flavours
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 14:15:50 PM »
Jaffa is a felix boy through and through.  He does like Whiskas but not as much as felix and it sometimes gives him an upset tummy.   Magpie had a skin problem when he was small and both myself and the vet deduced that it may have been a food allergy and the most likely culprit at the time was Whiskas.  Although Magpie did eat some whiskas years later with no problem (he was a whiskas taste test cat - when you got told that 8 out of 10 cats preferred whiskas, Magpie was one of them!  He got free whiskas to try out and pass judgement on).   I think the whiskas supermeat is cereal free.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Felix or Whiskas?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 14:12:17 PM »
The boys both seem to have simultaneously gone off Bozita, I don't know if it's a coincidence but this time round I bought from an English site so it's English Bozita rather than the usual Zooplus German Bozita.

Anyway, ideally I would continue feeding it as it's such great value/decent meat content but as they're just not into it at the moment I thought I'd try them on a more readily available food so am going to give them a whirl on Felix or Whiskas for a bit. Which one is more popular with your cat? They like 'jelly' type foods rather than gravy btw

Link to CatChat