Author Topic: microchipping  (Read 5211 times)

Offline tortie

• Adult Cat
Re: microchipping
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2009, 22:46:08 PM »
myself and black cat are taking a chipping course next month, so we can chip any fosters we have, i will be offering chipping in your own home at reduced costs as i too believe chipping is the best way to go for any pet, a cat can escape through the smallest of gaps and i volunter at our local pound so have seen the benifits of chipping first hand, unfortunatly i have also witnessed what happens to strays who arnt chipped :'(
i have as much to learn as i have to teach

Offline Black Cat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2009, 16:59:05 PM »
I do not think you can ever overestimate the importance of chipping your pet.

One of my pals recently had an incident where a previously homed pet got taken into the care of the police after an incident, and without the chip that pet would no doubt have been locked in a pound until either it was found a new home or its time was up and it would be PTS.

Its also vitally important for rescues to chip, if the animal goes missing , or ends up somewhere it ought not to be, the link stays with you and you get informed.

Also for stolen animals again - easily identifiable.  I do think wearing a collar with an 'I am chipped' disk is a double deterrent.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2007, 07:48:13 AM »
even indoor cats should be chipped. Theres always the possibility of them getting out by accident/malice.

I agree 100%,  I often hear of cats go missing from catteries and occasionally from vets, or rather as the owners are transporting their little ones to or from the vets. Quite recently someone had visitors and one visitor got up in the night and the indoor cat went to the door so they let the cat out knowing perfectly well it was an indoor cat.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2007, 07:44:10 AM »
can't get them as cheap as they can - maybe part of it is with being a business rather than a charity.

Not sure to be honest I suppose that could be the case.

I think your best course of action would be to ask Co-ordinator of your rescue could contact a chip firm, say idENTICHIP and see if they will train the fostereres free and then the chips could be purchased from them by your rescue at  hopefully a reduced price.

http://www.identichip.co.uk/
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 08:51:17 AM by Ela »

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2007, 23:53:56 PM »
Lynn, even indoor cats should be chipped. Theres always the possibility of them getting out by accident/malice.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2007, 21:55:20 PM »
WEll, maybe you could pm me and I can let her know a supplier so she can get them cheaper - she is the kind of person who is willing to give discounts to rescues, so it could open up an option for us, but when I spoke to her 2 weeks ago on it, she said that going through the RSPCA was a better option for us as she can't get them as cheap as they can - maybe part of it is with being a business rather than a charity.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2007, 20:23:57 PM »
Ela, I think it is just that she can't buy in bulk as much as other places can

We don't buy in bulk, only 1 box  of 25 at a time, in fact I have just got a box and they are less than £3 each. Even if as CP we get them cheaper I don't think they would be much more. In fact they aren't as Virginia was chipping of her own bat a long time before CP started to so she buys them from another company in her name and they are almost the same price as ours.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2007, 09:31:45 AM »
Ela, I think it is just that she can't buy in bulk as much as other places can, she is a small petshop who offers a chipping service.
Please spay your cat

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2007, 09:03:33 AM »
Jules microchipping can prevent the puss being stolen but its a means of identifying a lost or rather found cat.  Microchips once inplanted are really difficult to surgically remove so they are pretty good and collars can be taken off and worse pose a danger for cats. 
It depends on your set up but there are ways of securing a garden so a cat CANNOT escape and also there is a vast amount of cats DO NOT get outside these days esp pedigree ones (infact some breeders make that a condition of sale)

I personally have my cody who doesnt get out and i have 2 others who normally get run access so whilst they get out i know they are safe in a secure enclosed run so maybe these are some options for you.  Kittens shouldnt be let out till after they are neutered.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2007, 06:35:48 AM »
That's interesting Ron, I Was talking to my semi-local petshop, and she pays £10 for her chips.

Me thinks she is not quite telling the truth. idENTICHIP  are less than £4 each

Offline Jules_s

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2007, 00:21:16 AM »
Once again....excuse my ignorance in these matters.

I understand the 'chipping' of cats....but my big concern is my GIRLFRIENDS cat getting stolen.

It would be very sad if she lost Teoh  :(
I'm a bloke :O)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2007, 23:59:42 PM »
if i remember correctly it is cheaper the bigger bulk lot you buy

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2007, 22:17:30 PM »
That's interesting Ron, I Was talking to my semi-local petshop, and she pays £10 for her chips, which is why she charges £17.50 (£1500 for multiple cats), she says that in the quantities she buys, she can't get them any cheaper.
Please spay your cat

Offline ronandcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
    • LostCatsBrighton
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2007, 22:14:13 PM »
 For the last three years i have been going to Brighton, Hove, Shorehan, peacehaven and seaford, chipping cats for £10 i think the vets charge far to much when a chip only costs just over £3,50 i think far more people would get there cats and dogs chipped if they kept the price down i make 50 percent profit so what do-the vets make.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 19:28:55 PM »
Wow fantastic prices for chipping Lynn, shame it's so far away as that would be really handy. Bridge Vets charge £25 for each microchip, ouch!
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 19:27:33 PM »
We got the Petlog cat Free by internet, the Petlog dog - £3.00 by cheque and the other 40 for the fee of £50.00 by phone and credit card from Identichip/Virbac - after they discovered we had so many I think they gave us a bulk discount!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 19:24:00 PM »
My paperwork says it is £5 to change details - although our fosterer read the wrong part of her paperwork and thought it was £15, not sure if you have done the same CC? Not sure i would prefer mine to be done at home - no kitchen table, and not sure if I could find anywhere to hold them all while waiting!! At least at the vets they are in carriers.
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 18:15:26 PM »
Really Lynn? I need to change the address on one of my mob and they're adamant they're going to charge me £5.

Humph! I just tried to change the details online and got this message:
The Petlog registration record for the petlog id you supplied is not available for editing on line. Please contact Petlog by telephone: 0870 6066751.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 18:22:46 PM by JackSpratt »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 15:58:27 PM »
mine are all with petlog i think ?? and im sure it didnt cost me anything to change address details.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 15:56:46 PM »
, it costs £15 each to do this

:wow: thats a lot. IdENTICHIP charge £5 unless you pay £11.96 initially for s special package, then it's free.

Offline Déborah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 15:02:49 PM »
I think the £15 are to join their exclusive club or whatever it's called, and then you can change the details for free (or it's £7.50 a go if I remember right)

Déborah

ccmacey

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 13:58:43 PM »
Thanks I will have a look.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 13:46:57 PM »
http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/439
Click update your records. You will need to register to log in.

With Virbac it costs £5 to send them a slip but free if done online.
I hope you can get it sorted now, theres nothing more frustrating then scanning a stray and it has a chip but you cant find the owners!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 13:21:57 PM »
I only had George in my name as the rescue keeps the other 6 to them. He was with Virbac Backhome.
Il have at look at petlogs site.

ccmacey

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 13:05:26 PM »
They are with petlog, I have the papers here and have been online but just get puzzled as to what to do, which one are you with Millys mum? Could you give me any help or tips on how to if its the same company, many thanks.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 12:51:03 PM »
A lot of groomers can chip at the same time as a blow dry lol.

Id like to learn to chip, the only downside is the course is a reasonable drive and you need to take pets to practice on with you.

CC, i altered my details online for free, what company are they with?

ccmacey

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 12:48:54 PM »
Thats good, a lot less stressfull for the cat I would think.

Im wanting to get Harry chipped but think its going to have to be a trip to the vets.

All my other cats are chipped but I have not changed the details when I moved, it costs £15 each to do this, which is more than I paid to get them chipped.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
microchipping
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 12:38:56 PM »
i have just found this on a breeders website (hope they dont mind me copy and pasting)
Dont know if its any use to anyone but i thought it was a good idea.

Avoid stressful trips to the Vet
You want peace of mind but your pet hates going to the vet? Don't worry, help is at hand - we can chip your pet in the comfort of your own home, and you'll pay less as well! Our mobile microchipping service is run by a trained implanter, who will call at a time convenient to you. The painless procedure, which takes less than a minute, will be explained to you beforehand, and your pet's details will be recorded on a national database (PetLog) administered by the Kennel Club. Help will be given with completing the necessary forms, if required. You stay with your pet the whole time so that he/she feels safe and secure.
Implanter trained by Pet-Detect

Although our prices are already lower than most vets, we also offer special discounts to breeders wishing to have litters of puppies or kittens chipped prior to sale. The majority of responsible breeders are now choosing to chip their animals - this not only protecs them should they get lost, but is also essential for identification purposes when (for example) health screening tests are carried out, and of course when animals are taken abroad and returned to the UK.

Telephone 01777 249075

Why wait? Call today to arrange a home visit!
Retford and Gainsborough areas
Up to 3 pets - £15.00 each
3-5 pets - £12.00 each

Over 5 - special price for breeders - £10.00 each
All inclusive of PetLog registration and FREE collar disc - no hidden extras

Pet-Detect

Link to CatChat