Author Topic: Wish me luck - hopefully I will have all my fingers this time tomorrow! *Now with pic of new tray*  (Read 3171 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Wish me luck - hopefully I will have all my fingers this time tomorrow!
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2010, 17:52:18 PM »
Pic of the litter tray!  Not actually "in use"  ;)  It's  not a very good pic as my camera isn't working properly at the moment so I was lucky to get a pic at all.  Plus my bathroom isn't as dirty as it looks.  Honest!

It's working perfectly.  Jaffa can spray as much as he likes in it and no messy clean up.  It's not a lot bigger than the previous tray, but it is a few inches longer and it seems to work better with Mosi too as he likes to dig a lot and we used to end up with a mountain of litter in the middle of the tray and none in other parts  :scared:  The bigger tray seems to help with that too.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 17:54:48 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2010, 02:24:29 AM »
I would have used a hacksaw too cos it would cut it very easily.

I hope it stays successful  ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2010, 07:52:07 AM »
Well it is now in situ and has been christened!  Jaffa was the first to try it out.  He's not actually sprayed or weed standing up for several days but he stepped into the new tray last night and propmptly sprayed in the corner.  Probably wanting to leave his scent on something that smelled new and different.  Mosi keeps sniffiing the outside of the plastic but they have both used it a few times now and seem ok with it.  Fortunately Jaffa only sprays the back so the only problem with the low front is them kicking litter out.  I think he only sprays the back because there's something to spray against, ie the tiled wall, as he never misses the covered tray in the living room when I shut them out there (I pull it out of the corner and take the hood off to encourage usage!).

My manager said he mainly used a hacksaw on it as when he used the jigsaw it vibrated too much.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2010, 01:15:47 AM »
Hope it works OK my piddle pants still stands or sits with his tail out and without the carpet protector I would be in a serious mess by now.

I wish I had been closer cos would have done it for you.

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2010, 19:21:36 PM »
Ha ha ha Susanne, i am so glad, I feel that a weight has been lifted from this forum given you still have all your fingers  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2010, 12:59:42 PM »
It's been done!  Still in my car though as the edges need sanding and/or melting with a lighter!  I drew a line where I wanted it cutting and am now wondering why I chose 5" high along the front when they could easily manage a couple of inches higher than that and by the time I get 2-3" litter in there won't be much room.   I forgot to measure the exisiting one.  I measured it last night and it is actually 5" high although it looks more as the sides aren't completely vertical.  It is 5" from the floor so it will be ok, just wish I'd thought a bit more before drawing the line on!  I will take a pic when it's installed  ;D

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2010, 18:11:09 PM »
Take your boss up on the offer and pay with a nice bottle of wine: everybody goes away from the deal happy.  ;D If it were necessary to complete the job myself I'd get out of the flat and into the communal hallways/ fire escape/ flat roof depending how your building is laid out. You won't be the first person to use common parts as a workshop  :innocent: newspaper, corrugated cardboard and a vacuum and nobody will ever know.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 18:11:51 PM by Fire Fox »
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 16:57:19 PM »
My manager has offered to lend me a jigsaw but when I said I had nowhere to use it and would be a danger to myself and anything within 100m, he has offered to have a go.  I am going to put the ad on again tomorrow (it will drop off the front page of noticeboard) and if no-one responds he suggested I bring the box in on friday and he will have a go over the weekend.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 16:22:50 PM »
Exactly Helen.  But I'm not really in a position to be using anything like that in a one bed flat.  I have nothing suitable to put it on other than the floor.  I want a man with a jigsaw!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 14:28:32 PM »
You're better off asking if anyone has a jigsaw you can borrow  - it would take seconds with a jigsaw and would be like cutting butter with a knife!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 14:12:42 PM »
This has turned into a bit of a non starter.  Stanley knife no good (or possibly me just being rubbish with it but not the kind of thing to play with).  I then found a mini hacksaw in my tool box - no idea when I bought it or why - it still had packaging on so I undid that but couldn't work out how to use it  :-[  The blade bit seemed to be the wrong way around and I couldn't work out whether you could take it out and turn it around.  Again, I decided that playing with stuff like that was not conducive to holding on to all my body parts.  Also, I had shut the cats out of the bedroom but the latch isn't too secure so I was worried they'd come in when there was stuff lying about.  So now I have put an ad on our intranet noticeboard at work asking if anyone can do it for me.  For someone with a little workshop in the garage and all the right tools, it would be a very quick and easy job I'm sure.  Sadly no response as yet.  Don't know what I will do if that draws a blank.  Are there places that do things like that for you?  Sonewhere I can take it?  I know I could try to hire a handyman or something but I don't have the space really so need someone to do it in their own workshop or whatever.  I don't mind paying a few quid to get someone to do it.

I'm surprised no-one's cottoned onto this gap in the litter tray market - customised litter trays.  I'm sure there'd be a demand for someone who had standard litter tray sizes and then cut them to the shape required.  So many of us have cats who have let's just say "interesting" litter tray habits!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 00:31:03 AM »
Hack saw.....yes thats what I was talkingh about and the only real tool to use

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 20:03:31 PM »
I'd use a soldering iron and melt it.  :sneaky:

cunning  :sneaky:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 08:46:20 AM »
I'd use a soldering iron and melt it.  :sneaky:

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 08:44:46 AM »
ive cut holes in plastic storage boxes before with a stanley knife- its not at all neat tho and it was hard work. think it will depend on how thick the plastic is. also, i was only cutting the thinner plastic on the body, if you need to cut the thicker plastic on the edge/rim etc you will need a hacksaw/junior hacksaw.

if you do go with trying the stanley knife- keep your hands/face/body clear! force the knife in through the plastic but not at the edge of the cut you want to make- its easier if its still connected while you do most of the cutting and push the knife blade (while stll imbedded in the plastic) an inch or so at a time away from you. you wont be able to use the same technique you would if cutting paper/card with a knife. hacksaw would be safer and easier (you can buy junior/small ones for about 7 pound) but i think you will still need a stanley knife for any corners so still borrow one if you can

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 08:01:32 AM »
Oh bummer.  This is getting complicated now.  I have never used a stanley knife before but my work colleague seemed to think it would do the job no problem.

ETA well I have the knife now so I am going to try to cut through the top of one side first just to test how well it works.  I will then be able to guage whether it's going to be a non starter or not.  My colleagues suggests I lie the box flat on a piece of cardboard or something and then score one side before doing the other and she thinks it will just snap.  Although she thinks I might not actually need to do it both sides and it  may just cut easily with one cut.  I will try the edge of the box at what is going to be the front (so will test it on a bit that is going to be cut away)  before deciding whether I want to try to do the whole box with it.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 08:39:18 AM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Ellen2010

• Distinguished Cat
  • Sophie 9/93 - 3/10/11 Play hard my little angel
  • Slave to: Timmy, Baby, Danita, Tia, Miffy and Domino
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 23:31:03 PM »
Yeah a hacksaw should do the trick better than a stanley knife.
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 23:13:07 PM »
I dont think a stanley knife will do either, they tend to slip on shiney surfaces .............I sliced the side of my finger off trying to cut some flat perspect sheet!!!!!!!!!!

I would get one of thosze little saws, cant remember what they are call but are fairly cheap. they look like a C bit with a straight side and the blade on the other, and a handle...........they cut through plastic well and you wont damage yourself.

I used one to cut some plastic pipe for outside and you can buy replacement blades too.

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 16:39:18 PM »
Work colleague seems confident a stanely knife will do it.  I wouldn't know, never having used a stanley knife or cut a storage box before.

It isn't going to be tonight now anyway.  Hubby can't pick colleague up from work so can't bring the knife with him.

I think I'd be lethal with a jigsaw.

Isn't that what husbands are for!! :rofl:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 16:34:29 PM »
Work colleague seems confident a stanely knife will do it.  I wouldn't know, never having used a stanley knife or cut a storage box before.

It isn't going to be tonight now anyway.  Hubby can't pick colleague up from work so can't bring the knife with him.

I think I'd be lethal with a jigsaw.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 16:17:56 PM »
I think you'll have your work cut out with a stanley knife Susanne  :-: I'd go as far to say that it's going to be virtually impossible to cut hard plastic in a straight line with one. Do you know anyone who has a jigsaw you could borrow? It would take 10 seconds with a jigsaw...

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 15:27:38 PM »
Good luck and hope you're careful with the knife!

It's not wee thats a problem in my household, it's poo.  I have four litter trays for my three cats and Luna insists on pooing on the newspaper that the litter trays sit on even though she'll happily wee in the trays for me  :tired: They get cleaned on average twice a day sometimes three if they need it so it's not for want of a clean tray.  I used to have Nova pooing in the bathtub until we moved house, was so chuffed when that stopped lol.

I've contemplated automatic litter trays but it's alot of money if they don't work, has anyone had success with them?

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 14:00:37 PM »
Goodness me Jaffa is a bit of a demanding cat isn't he, bless him  :evillaugh:
Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 13:35:23 PM »
I looked at that one, Lottie but I'm not sure 10 inches would be tall enough once you have a few inches litter in.  plus may be a bit high at front.  Jaffa is lazy and likes to be able to just step in and out easily, be able to see around him but also be able to wee standing up! sometimes he stands half in and half out (fortunately it's back half in and front half out).   contrary little  :censored: isn't he?  So it needs to be very high at back so that he can spray in it, fairly high at sides just in case he does it sideways but low enough at sides so that he can see over the top, and low at the front.  I'm just glad he's using the tray in the bathroom though.  Mosi is using that one too and scatters litter everywhere  :shify:

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 13:29:10 PM »
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha  bloomin cats rule our life!!!

I thought it was weird that you didn't get an igloo but now I understand! :rofl: Before we got one, we had litter everywhere from Effie! :Crazy:

Well I hope you DIY goes well, just pretend you are on Blue Peter!!!! ;)

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 13:23:50 PM »
Ah  now it's more complicated than that.  Jaffa has decided he doesn't like the covered tray.  He likes to see all around him so that he can make sure Mosi isn't creeping up on him.  He also likes to wee standing up sometimes..... see my dilemma?

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 13:20:54 PM »
Why don't you get an igloo?

They are a godsend especially if you have a cat like Effie who likes to dig to Australia when she goes!!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
I am about to be let loose with a stanley knife and a plastic storage tray.  The aim is to make a customised litter tray with a high back so that Jaffa can spray in the tray and I don't have to spend ages cleaning up after him.  I have the box and a work colleague's husband is bringing in a stanley knife tonight when he comes to pick her up, so that I can borrow it.   I'm not good with DIY in general and do wonder whether I'm safe with a stanely knife!  I am a tad scared.  I think I need lots of "keep your fingers" vibes.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 18:09:27 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Link to CatChat