Author Topic: Found kitten, need advise  (Read 2102 times)

Offline happyburd

• Kitten
Re: Found kitten, need advise
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 00:16:21 AM »
Yep....Dh is intent on keeping her....Hes completely smitten!!!   :Luv2:

I will try and find out who owns her, in case there are wee children thinking the worse...But if we find them, there will be a lot of broken hearts here....  :'(

DH put her in the garage, and gave her an old scarf of mine that she seems to love, she just looks so happy, snug and cosy, and if purring is a sign of contentment, then shes VERY content....
 :)

She really is adorable :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 22:58:11 PM »
Awwweeee, shes just been having so much fun with the kids today....shes bouncing about after balls, skipping ropes etc!!  Kids cant go anywhere without her following them, to the point of tripping them up!!! :Luv: :rofl:

Im off to the shops later, what are the most important things i should be getting her?

So pleased that Sam saw this  ;D

She sounds just like she is the happiest kitten in the world and also your kids  ;D

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 21:12:13 PM »
Litter tray and scoop
Litter (a clumping litter is probably best)
Kitten food (Felix do a good kitten food)

These are the basic important things.  She already has a bed that she is happy using so no need to change that.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline happyburd

• Kitten
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 16:52:10 PM »
Awwweeee, shes just been having so much fun with the kids today....shes bouncing about after balls, skipping ropes etc!!  Kids cant go anywhere without her following them, to the point of tripping them up!!! :Luv: :rofl:

Im off to the shops later, what are the most important things i should be getting her?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 15:04:12 PM »
Have to say, if the kitten does belong to the girl who has gone away, she is a very bad owner cos you dont go away and leave a kitten outside to fend for itself.....apologies to her if she is not the owner or she had made arrangements that went wrong.

Thank you for looking after the kitten and a litter tray would be a good idea, even a substitute one  ;D

Kittens are adorable because they need to find a way into peeps hearts before they become full grown cats and they need a home for life.

As the others have said just ask as many questions as you want and we will try and help  ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 14:23:02 PM »
If her owner is found and you don't want to upset you kids .... you could always pop down to your local rescue (or put a post on here) .... I guarantee you will have no problem finding another kitten very quickly.   ;)  unfortuantely there are 100's out there wanting homes.

Offline happyburd

• Kitten
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 11:12:52 AM »
Thank you and I will check them out, as well as the lost and found here...

How could anyone not help such a defenceless, innocent wee thing.... ???  The kids have learnt so much in having her around, its taught them so much......I know there'll be tears if her owner is found :Luv:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 11:03:31 AM »
Ahhh well done for heling this poor little soul.

There is some really useful advice on this thread:  http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,21647.0.html  (the pdf doc is very handy)

this is a good link: http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,4790.0.html

and this is also a useful link:  http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,4807.0.html

Offline happyburd

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 10:49:29 AM »
Oh, OK....I was only giving her a wee drop and then diluting it with water, but I suppose thats not much good if shes intolerant to it...

We've asked about, and no one seems to know where shes come from, which is why I think it may be the girl whos just moved in (well, 6months or more) but shes away... I will ask her when she gets back.

In the meantime, Im trying to learn as much as I can about cats, kittens and how to care fro them....Whats best for them to eat, something I would find in my kitchen until I get to the shops...and how often should you feed them???

Thanks again, :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 10:35:23 AM »
Hi and well done for caring for this little one.  I'd follow the found advice in the lost and found section of Purrs just in case someone is really missing her.  If she has been abandoned though it's kind of you to be offering her a home.   

Meanwhile, it sounds ideal what you're doing for her.  It's advisable not to give cows milk though because many cats and kittens are lactose intolerant and milk can upset their tummies.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 10:36:07 AM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline happyburd

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 10:28:03 AM »
Thanks for all the help and advise...

I felt so much more content with her in the garage...funny, this morning when we went in, she was'nt in her basket, but you could hear her rumaging in amongst the kids toys...it was so funny!!! :rofl:

DH says shes ours now, as she has'nt left our house since Sunday, and we live in a very small village, where everyone knows yer buisness before you do!!!  I think she may belong to a girl whos renting a house nearby, but I know shes away on holidays for 2weeks...DH has just fallen in love with her....I suppose its hard not to really!

Just one bit of advise...what should I feed her and how much? I will buy stuff for her, but for the moment, until I get to the shops, what can I give her for brekkie???

Never was a cat person....always dogs for me, but I think this wee kitty is changing that  :Luv2:

Again, thanks for all your help, its invaluable, and the wee kitty thanks you all too :Luv: :thanks:

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 00:33:12 AM »
So pleased you've put her in the garage. She will be safe in there tonight. She sounds way too young to be out. If you can try to keep her in there and take care of her until her owner is found. Found kitten posters would be handy tomorrow, on lamp posts around your area, in the local shops and even in your front window as someone suggested.

I run Petsearch (lost and found) in my local area and a couple of weeks ago a similar thing happened to this lady so she called me and I advised her. No one came forward for the kitten, it wasn't microchipped so the lady is now keeping her...such a happy ending.

I wish everyone would help animals in need.

Let us know how you get on tomorrow.  If you need any advice we are all here :)
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline happyburd

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 23:55:04 PM »
Ive put her in the garage, its attached to the house. Ive left her water with a wee bit of milk in it (shes been fed already) and a nice cosy warm blanket, and a bit of newspaper which I hope she piddles on ;) Shes purring like mad, so I think shes happy, and shes hopped straight into the baby bath , come cosy kitten cot :Luv:

I didnt leave the door open, but its a fairly big garage, and no doubt Ill be up at the crack of dawn with the youngsters, so I'll check on her then...

Now, if only I could tear dh away from her and get him to bed...Hes smitten!! :Luv2:

Thanks for replies :hug:

Offline happyburd

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 23:35:15 PM »
Would it be OK to put it in the garage? Its warm, dry and safe....Would I need to leave the door open? Its quite a big garage... 

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 23:17:24 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs

This is very sad  :(  The idea of a defenceless kitten being out alone overnight is disturbing.  The usual thing would be to bring the little mite inside and keep it in until you have a chance to try and find it's owners by putting up posters, contacting local vets, contacting local animal rescues etc.  It might be microchipped with owners details so you could take it to local vet who I am sure would scan it for a chip. 

The kitten will not do your children any harm.  More likely the children's excitement would scare the kitten  :-:.  Is there nowhere in your home you could care for it for a short while or don't you know someone with experience of cats that might be prepared to look after it for a little while?   :hug: 

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 23:12:25 PM »
put a note on the collar (a piece of paper wrapped round). asking the owner to get in touch with you saying something like " trying to trace owner is the kitten lost please call xxxxxxxxx"
#if the kitten is going back home they may ring.

If that fails ask you neighbours or even put a sign in your front window and/or local shop. Don't fully describe the kitten to prevent someone just claiming him, let the owner describe.

Offline happyburd

• Kitten
Found kitten, need advise
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 22:32:11 PM »
Hi all,

A few days ago, this wee kitten appeared in our garden...I have no idea of age, gender or even owner.  I didnt feed it, as I thought it would go back to its owners. It had no collar, so I just kept an eye on it.
Anyway, the next day it appeared and had a collar on, so I thought it was OK. Although, the collar has no info on it, I think it may just be a flea collar. Its a lovely wee thing, very tame and affectionate.
Yesterday, it came over again, and this time seemed to be shaking with what I think was hunger. We fed the wee mite, and have fed her ever since.
Thing is, I have 5 children, youngest 5months and dont want to bring her into the house. I have no idea who owns her, but feel so sorry for the wee thing. I put an old blanket inside an old baby bath, and set it on the porch of the kids playhouse as its raining. I really dont know what to do, no one seems to know who owns her. I feel so bad leaving her outside, as she keeps "miaowing" and purring and trying to climb on me as soon as I go out to her. I know nothing about cats, and am afraid that something will happen her outside......

What should I do???? :thanks:

Link to CatChat