Author Topic: TV Programme tonight - man on death row allowed to keep a cat  (Read 1367 times)

Offline Claire_smc

• Hero Cat
Re: TV Programme tonight - man on death row allowed to keep a cat
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 20:35:11 PM »
When I lived in Newcastle there was a homeless man who had a sign next to his dog asking people not to feed it. Apparently people would assume that the dog was starving and go and give it Greggs pasties and bits of sandwiches and Mc Donalds burgers and things as they were walking past  :Crazy: Apparently the dog was always fed, even when it meant the owner had to go without food for the night.

'I love my cats because I love my home, and after a while they become its visible soul'

'I have studied many philsophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior'

Offline Susan + 8

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 22:43:30 PM »
I used to work at a homeless charity and I too was intrigued by the motivations of the homeless people who have dogs - I must admit I was more than a little cynical. However, more often than not the homeless person has found the dog as a stray, and will adopt them out of sheer loneliness. Many of these people will refuse places in homeless shelters because they would be forced to give up their dog in order to stay. I know it's far from ideal, but the majority of these people really do love their dogs and try to take care of them as best they can.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 09:12:41 AM »
I have the same reaction to homeless peoples' dogs Mark. I used to think that why bring a dog into your own unfortunate circumstance and do the ones that do is it mainly cause people  "donate" more esp animal lovers and do the "more donations" go on drink or dog food!

Your OH def has a point. Dogs are pack animals so crave the companionship so that must be a huge bonus for them and i suppose they used to love outside in the wild!

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 08:37:39 AM »
There were bars but I don't remember if they were cat-proofed. It wasn't a tiny cell - it was quite homely as prison cells go  :evillaugh:

Nevertheless, it just seemed wrong  :( - she was a lovely calico torti - she certainly looked contented and well-fed.

We were having a conversation last year about homeless people's dogs. I said I felt really sorry for them. OH said as long as they are well-fed, they are probably more contented than a lot of dogs, as they get to be outside and 24/7 attention. I suppose there is a point  :-:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 00:21:59 AM »
 :(  Poor cat :( there is no way it can be happy locked in a cell all the time unless it can get through the bars and have a wander??

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 23:54:08 PM »
Wow yes that is a strange one!! I am not quite sure what to say!

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
TV Programme tonight - man on death row allowed to keep a cat
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 23:38:38 PM »
I felt so sorry for the cat having to live in a cell 24/7 with a murderer on death row  :(

He said he loves the cat and she loves him back. Still somehow seems wrong?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 23:39:10 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Link to CatChat