Author Topic: LONG TERM ANTIOBOTIC INJECTION  (Read 9066 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: LONG TERM ANTIOBOTIC INJECTION
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2007, 22:55:38 PM »
Very interesting - Milly's mum, yep Metacam is an NSAID. I shall mention some of this to the rescue on Wed as well as seeing if I can find out how much we have been charged - will be annoyed if he has been using it on the wrong kind of cats though!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2007, 17:47:06 PM »
This is a very interesting thread, and I think the more we hear about this the better.

I know my vet said it was for use only for certain things when he gave it to Franta, but Franta had been bitten.

I think it will be most interesting as more and more peoples cats are given this, to hear the good, bad or indifferent effects.  ;D

fuzziesdad

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2007, 17:37:42 PM »
NOAH says not for use in cats under 8 weeks.
It also says this: Concurrent use of other substances that have a high degree of protein binding (e.g. furosemide, ketoconazole, or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)) may compete with cefovecin binding and thus may cause adverse effects.

Metacam is an NSAID isnt it? My bladder cat had convenia as his last jab but they also said to use Metacam.  :shify:

We were told never to use metacam while any cat was using convenia also while squeak has been on prednisalone (spelling) she is also banned from having metacam

fuzziesdad

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2007, 17:32:27 PM »
The leaflet I have says"to treat bacterial infections in skin soft tissue and urinary tract in dogs ans cats"it also says that in more serious cases a repeat jab can be given ever two weeks.
So there it is ....but will say I did pick this up when it was used on harriet/harvey some months ago.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2007, 16:18:58 PM »
NOAH says not for use in cats under 8 weeks.
It also says this: Concurrent use of other substances that have a high degree of protein binding (e.g. furosemide, ketoconazole, or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)) may compete with cefovecin binding and thus may cause adverse effects.

Metacam is an NSAID isnt it? My bladder cat had convenia as his last jab but they also said to use Metacam.  :shify:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2007, 16:12:20 PM »
(esp as one was only an 8 week old kitten, think that is how Patches got it, as he curled up with them!!),

I'm not sure at what age they can use it or if there's a specific weight.  I took Minnie in the other day as she has a problem with her ear and is snotty again, Sean wouldn't use it on her though, I'm not sure whether this was because of her size or whether he just didn't think it was suitable.  :-:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2007, 16:08:53 PM »
I'll try and get a leaflet on it next time I go to the vets, I know it does say it can be used for respiratory problems but I think the main thing it's advertised for is the tissue damage etc.  I know on the website it didn't say anything about respiratory, I did question my vet about this as they ordered it in especially for me when it first came out.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2007, 10:18:00 AM »
WEll, he is using it for high temps, yet everyone on here is sayign that isn't waht this one is best for.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2007, 10:14:59 AM »
but it is wrong to give an antibiotic that isn't best for a certain prob just cos you need to use it.

I am sure a vet would not do that.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2007, 10:09:35 AM »
Vet had no idea why they had high temps, but neither urine prob or abscess was obvious (esp as one was only an 8 week old kitten, think that is how Patches got it, as he curled up with them!!), I think you are right about wanting to use it up, but it is wrong to give an antibiotic that isn't best for a certain prob just cos you need to use it.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2007, 10:07:20 AM »
the rescue's vet has given it for high temps,

Could it be that the temp was caused by a urine problem or abscess?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2007, 10:05:38 AM »
got the impression it was a new antibiotic so he was using it quite a lot.

As it is so expensive over £100 plus VAT and needs to be used up within 28 days ,I think a vet who had it would want to to use it all up otherwise it would be a waste of money. It comes in two components and the vet has to mix it.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2007, 09:59:58 AM »
that's interesting Ela - the rescue's vet has given it for high temps, I got the impression it was a new antibiotic so he was using it quite a lot.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2007, 09:57:18 AM »
Apparently Convenia is only licenced for cats where their is a skin problem, (abscesses include) or in the case of  a weeee problem. As others have said it does not necessarily last 14 days  (to be fair the literature does say lasts up to 14 days), a vet uses it on one of his own pets and found the effect lasted about 10 days.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 10:06:08 AM by Ela »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2007, 16:51:10 PM »
Its definately worth a try before going on with other options!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 16:19:31 PM by Millys Mum »

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2007, 14:59:57 PM »
I noticed when reading about it on the internet, it stated it was for skin lesions and tissue damage etc, but on the actual leaflet that comes with it, it states it can be used for respiratory problems.  I think especially with the feral cats, it is much better to let them have the jab as getting tablets down them is so stressful and it can't always be done without getting your fingers ripped off, so on the whole, even though I don't rate it for respiratory, I would still use it as it's better than them getting nothing.

fuzziesdad

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2007, 14:06:41 PM »
the two times our vet has given it to two different cats funnily both gingers and both with the same complaint both had skin irritations from harvest mites (what is it with gingers and skin complaints) apparently my vet says that at the moment it is only for use with skin complaints and kidney problems but it might have moved on since then.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2007, 11:46:08 AM »
I think when my vet used it, I was charged £45 but that was on 4 youngsters but I don't get charged consultation.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2007, 09:59:33 AM »
If it works well then it is better than giving them tablets - I was given it on a very docile cat though, so tablets might not have been hard - at least i didnt' have to remember to give them though. i will see if the rescue has a bill to hand when I am there on Wed to see how much we are charged for it - the cost could end up being a downfall though.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2007, 23:19:54 PM »

I have had convenia used on two of my cats and its fantastic it really did work a treat and continued to work over the whole two weeks and all of the vets I have spoken to at our practice thinks its OK it cost us £18 per jab sometimes the vet cannot see the positives as they do not have to try and give the animal the tablets twice a day convenia takes away that stress for the cat and owner,its one of the best breakthroughs for years.

I've used it on a few and haven't rated it at all but mine has been on snotty cats so it might not be as good for respiratory problems.  I can't give some of my ferals tablets so it is a god send for them.......if it works on that ailment.  The feral cat with the injured leg had Convenia and they gave him another jab in conjunction with it to try and boost it.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2007, 23:14:00 PM »
ive just been wondering what an earth possessed them to call it the same name as a cough mixture LOL,,then i realised you are calling it convenia and the cough stuff is covonia  :rofl:

However if i ever don my uniform again i know for a fact i'll keep calling it covonia by mistake   :doh:
:rofl:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2007, 21:35:39 PM »
have had convenia used on two of my cats and its fantastic it really did work a treat and continued to work over the whole two weeks and all of the vets I have spoken to at our practice thinks its OK it cost us £18 per jab

If it worked for your cats then I would say the £18 per injection was well spent. However, I expect as with most new things we will hear the pluses and negatives for a while.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2007, 21:35:15 PM »
Maybe this side of wales has a better quality 2 week jab LOL. my vet rates it too but he told me it was £10 and just checked and it was £16.33  :sick:

However much better than trying to give tablets  ;D

fuzziesdad

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 21:02:03 PM »
This is the Convenia you are referring to I take it.  I don't rate it at all, I've had it on a few of mine, it works well for a couple of days and then it seems pretty crap to be honest but better than nothing I suppose.  They seem to get an initial hit with it and then it wears off.  Speaking to Sean about the other day and he hasn't really seen any positives from it either, although it's mainly mine that they've used it on.  It's meant to be really good on tissue damage etc but as yet, I've not really seen any dramatic miracles with it.
I have had convenia used on two of my cats and its fantastic it really did work a treat and continued to work over the whole two weeks and all of the vets I have spoken to at our practice thinks its OK it cost us £18 per jab sometimes the vet cannot see the positives as they do not have to try and give the animal the tablets twice a day convenia takes away that stress for the cat and owner,its one of the best breakthroughs for years.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 20:52:31 PM »
The rescue's vet uses this on ours, but it was used on Patches, and I have to say I wasn't that impressed either, he was given it on the Fri, and he nearly had to go back on the Mon as he hadn't picked up that much.
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 19:19:28 PM »
Franta was given this jab when he went to vets a week ago and my vet said its very good but only for certain things.

Apparently it is no use for mouth infections but Franta had a bite and he is fine

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 19:08:23 PM »
michelle the vet was a she ! unfortunately the good looking one has left i believe

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 19:03:30 PM »

just for your interest my recent consultation + normal synulox injection + 10 synulox tablets + 1 x 2kg bag of hills maintanence cost me = £34 pounds so minus the cost of food (£13 ? not sure what it cost exacty) thats around 21ish quid for treatment. (had i had a painkilling injection on top they normally arent any more than 5 ish pounds i dont think)

Lynn that is very cheap!
You arnt doing anything special for the vet are you ?  :shy: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 17:12:36 PM »
This is the Convenia you are referring to I take it.  I don't rate it at all, I've had it on a few of mine, it works well for a couple of days and then it seems pretty crap to be honest but better than nothing I suppose.  They seem to get an initial hit with it and then it wears off.  Speaking to Sean about the other day and he hasn't really seen any positives from it either, although it's mainly mine that they've used it on.  It's meant to be really good on tissue damage etc but as yet, I've not really seen any dramatic miracles with it.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 17:11:41 PM »
Its great though as its been used for cats with different ailments and many of those were feral or what Ela calls those you must obey. Saves my fingers lol

Its called Convenia.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 16:18:50 PM by Millys Mum »

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 13:07:42 PM »
i cant remember the old price of a 100ml bottle of synulox normal ...prob in the region of 40-60 quid cost i'd guess

just for your interest my recent consultation + normal synulox injection + 10 synulox tablets + 1 x 2kg bag of hills maintanence cost me = £34 pounds so minus the cost of food (£13 ? not sure what it cost exacty) thats around 21ish quid for treatment. (had i had a painkilling injection on top they normally arent any more than 5 ish pounds i dont think)

modified to say the normal dose of synulox infection per cat is around 0.3ml and not normally more than 0.5ml for very big cats so thats atleast 200 injections for cats alone out of one bottle based on the higher dosage. (however i do not know the dosage of this new type)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 13:09:57 PM by lynn »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 12:45:30 PM »
When I quoted
I was told that it cost the vets £100 for one  bottle and its use by date was only 1 month and in view of this there would be a lot of wastage.

In one bottle there are many doses, I wasn't meaning each injection cost the vet (without his markup) £100. As you know many of the antibiotics and other vet treatments come in containers with more than one dose.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 12:38:36 PM »
Foxy had a long-term antibiotic jab the last time we went to the vets and i wasn't chanrged any more for it.  Consultation and pain killer jab and antibiotic jab = £42
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 12:33:42 PM »
I think so.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 12:26:23 PM »
is that the one that lasts 2 weeks ela so there for 1 injection would cover a "normal course"

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
LONG TERM ANTIOBOTIC INJECTION
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 12:00:24 PM »
I was asking a vet if they had the new long term antibiotic available by injection. I was told that it cost the vets £100 for one  bottle and its use by date was only 1 month and in view of this there would be a lot of wastage. What a shame the manufacturers do not make the bottles smaller. For ferals and the cats that are the 'they who must be obeyed type'  the  antibiotic would be wonderful.

Link to CatChat