Author Topic: 3 Tips  (Read 4192 times)

Offline MrTopCat

• Kitten
Re: 3 Tips
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2010, 09:35:15 AM »
Just got a kitten so not really qualified to be giving advice, but here are my first impressions:

1. Don't give them any human food, it leads to an upset stomach. Trust me on this! :(

2. Kitty-proof your home before they arrive

3. Take them to the vet regularly - for your own piece of mind and to make sure they are growing healthily

And, most importantly, enjoy them!  ;D

Offline BazandGem

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Bazza (missing since March 2010), Rossi and Joey
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2010, 00:24:02 AM »
Well, I've never had a little kitten but from experience with Rossi (approx 7 months old when we adopted him)

1 - move anything breakable from all low shelves etc, and then also from the shelf above where you think the kitten cat reach!
1.5 - don't leave plates too close to the worktop edge, just in case kitty decides to jump up and help out  :shify:
2 - play with them at least twice a day and don't stop because you've had enough, wait until they get bored.
2.5 - get a toy which can be played with when the kitten is on its own as well so it doesn't take it out on your curtains/sofas/cushions/socks/slippers/door handles :rofl:
3 - if you have a fishtank, make sure it can't be knocked over/off its stand/shelf.

Oh, and not kitten advice as such, but you should know that as a member of the forum you now need to show us some photos   :)

Offline blue water

• Kitten
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2010, 16:59:29 PM »
very good tips...

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2010, 12:13:29 PM »
start as you mean to go on with rules. dont give in to abuse/blackmail! i read that cats are like gambling addicts- if they "win" once (and only has to be once) theyll be forever trying just in case! so if you dont want them in a particular room, dont give in to midnight yowling  *if you want to sleep again, do not at any point let them believe that if they wake you up that you will immediately feed them*  :shify:

Ooh - do you actually manage this?  I know the theory but I'm not too good with the follow through.

:wow: yes! as a point of principle no food before ive had a cup of tea! when they can wake me with tea ill give them breakfast straight away  :evillaugh:

Cruel person  :evillaugh:

I was talking to a woman in the co-op earlier (see Dapne thread) and was telling her that I can be busting for the loo but sort the cats out before I go unless I am REALLY desperate  :evillaugh:

:-[ i do do that, then the cats get treated to the ever so amusing needtopeeneedtopee dance  :-[

Offline Susan + 8

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 11:10:11 AM »
Congratulations for your new arrivals!  :)

Top 3 kitten tips:

1. Neuter, vaccinate and microchip at 6 months and definitely do NOT let them out before these are done. There's too many unwanted kittens and cats in this world  :(

2. Keep an eye out for any sudden changes in personality/bad tummies/poorly eyes/runny noses/coughs/sneezes and get them to the vet asap - cats and especially kittens can go downhill very fast.

2.5 As a follow on from number 2, depending on your vet, occasionally it doesn't hurt to get a second opinion or to do your own research to support whatever the vet has told you. My vet tried to tell me that FIV can be spread by cats sharing food bowls, and as anyone who is clued up about FIV knows, this is not the case  :censored:

3. Love them, spoil them, adore them - they will bring you SO much happiness  ;D

Offline McHaggis

• Adult Cat
  • Haggis & Rosie
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 10:21:54 AM »
I'd say you get out what you put in -
so give plenty cuddles, playtime and interaction
and you will get back a playful, interactive, cuddly kitty  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

A cat makes all the difference between coming home to an empty house and coming home :) :) :)

What greater gift than the love of a cat? ~ Charles Dickens

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 22:30:14 PM »
I'll go along with almost all of the others.  :) Can I add this...

1) Don't let hands/fingers become toys or you and your visitors will get covered in scratches.  :doh:

2) Vaccinate!!

3) Remember a kitten is like any other baby... they make a mess all of the time, need constant attention and when they get sick they go downhill REALLY FAST!  :Crazy:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 22:25:12 PM »
start as you mean to go on with rules. dont give in to abuse/blackmail! i read that cats are like gambling addicts- if they "win" once (and only has to be once) theyll be forever trying just in case! so if you dont want them in a particular room, dont give in to midnight yowling  *if you want to sleep again, do not at any point let them believe that if they wake you up that you will immediately feed them*  :shify:

Ooh - do you actually manage this?  I know the theory but I'm not too good with the follow through.

:wow: yes! as a point of principle no food before ive had a cup of tea! when they can wake me with tea ill give them breakfast straight away  :evillaugh:

Cruel person  :evillaugh:

I was talking to a woman in the co-op earlier (see Dapne thread) and was telling her that I can be busting for the loo but sort the cats out before I go unless I am REALLY desperate  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 20:30:54 PM »

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 16:20:48 PM »
Just the one tip from me

Always put the cats needs above you own.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 12:36:02 PM »

3 things:

Neuter/spay + microchip (you can have it done at the same time so I'm counting it as 1!)
Do a bit of research re food and try to include at least some wet food in the diet
Get pet insurance

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 12:34:16 PM »
Microchip, microchip, microchip

I know I've already given you my top tips ... but this one and spay/neuter are the MOST IMPORTANT.  ;)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 02:55:01 AM »
1. Insure
2. Read the ingredients if you use dry food
3. Visit the Purrs shop!  :sneaky:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 01:58:43 AM »
Insure immediately

Chip, vaccinate and neuter and keep them safe and away from roads

Give them everything they need and be prepared to be their adoring slave for the next 20 years or more  ;D

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 22:37:17 PM »
1.  Get your little one Microchipped ASAP

2.  Spay / Neuter when old enough

3.  Don't let your little one outside until they have been done ... even if they winge and whine don't give in ... kittens have no road sense and if you can keep em in until they are at least  a year old it'll be best for you and them  ;)

3½.  When/if  they do go outside ... always get them in at night.

4.  trust your instincts, love your little one and don't be afraid to ask any questions on here.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 12:31:37 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 19:54:07 PM »

They will make you love them so I didn't have to include it  ;)

:agree:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 19:49:46 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs, avalokiteshvara: glad you found us and decided to join in  ;D

Three pieces of advice?  Nah, I'm non-compliant  ;)  Just buy yourself a decent cat care guide and check out with the folks on here.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 19:27:33 PM »
1) Spay/Neuter
2) Fed them a good diet
3) Keep them safe

They will make you love them so I didn't have to include it  ;)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 19:20:41 PM »
Definitely need pictures.... ;)

1) Ensure your kitten has enough mental stimulation.
2) Have more than one scratchpost around the house.
3) Give lots of cuddles.(Goes without saying.)

Oh, and as an aside: don't buy any expensive curtains for at least two years.  ;) Kittens have a habit of climbing them..... :evillaugh:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 19:19:36 PM »
ooooo limited to 3  ;D
 :welcome: im not a kitten expert and mine came to me as big kittens but this would be my 3

get a Da bird or similar (any toy that they cant resist) so that you can wear them out before you go to bed :evillaugh:

kitten proof your home- tie window blind cords/curtain cords out of the way, push ornaments to the back of shelves (or pack up), block up chimneys/small cracks :sneakin:

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 19:17:42 PM »
Hello and congratulations on you new addition - photos are mandatory  ;D

As for tips:

Make sure that your little one is neutered/spayed when old enough
Kitten proof your home by removing anthing that can be and shouldnt be eaten, remove all toxic plants and detergents etc.
Sit back and enjoy your new litlle fur baby with lots of love and huggles x
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline avalokiteshvara

• Kitten
3 Tips
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 19:08:57 PM »
Hi everyone,

I've just got myself a little 8 week old Tabby kitten and I've never had one before (my nanna had 3). If you could just give me 3 peices of advice regarding kitten care what would they be? :thanks:

Link to CatChat