Author Topic: Lovely, different, lonely :( (Now staying with a friend of the owner)  (Read 13218 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Lovely, different, lonely :( (Now staying with a friend of the owner)
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2011, 14:29:23 PM »
Ok thanks for the update then.  I'll move this to sorted and if things change at any time do pm me please  :thanks:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 14:33:27 PM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Tagalong

• Senior Cat
Re: Lovely, different, lonely :(
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2011, 13:40:38 PM »
I don't suppose Mareta will mind me posting this -I stayed in contact with her until recently when she suffered a loss in he family -I believe Dobrynia is going to stay with her friend for as long as possible
Valerie and all my pets

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2011, 09:10:09 AM »
Any update please?
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #89 on: August 05, 2010, 16:44:47 PM »
Sending lots of cuddles to Dobryiana and hope the health in general improves soon  :hug:

Offline Mareta

• Adult Cat
« Reply #88 on: August 05, 2010, 12:06:56 PM »
Hello all
I found a girl on our russian cat's forum. She lives in the UK, so I hope she will help us in some questions.

Offline Mareta

• Adult Cat
« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2010, 08:22:15 AM »
Yes, our vet said that  any kind of sedation would be dangerous.
Now we have some problems with his eyes - vet said that there is a conjuctivitis. And he still have rachitis and avitaminosis.
Vet said that we should make him cure before vaccination.

We will also make cardio evaluation this week.

Offline Tagalong

• Senior Cat
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2010, 18:28:24 PM »
The most important factors for travelling will be making sure his heart is normal and providing him with the right accomodation as in padding out the carrier well to support him  (hopefully his tummy was due to hot weather or a bug and won't return to be a problem ) Sedation is not an option that would be dangerous.
I took my boy for his boosters and was talking to my vet about this and his opinion is that with any form of brain damage and neuralogical issues there should not be any long term damage to him (realising that he only has the facts as I know them )but I agree it is sad he can't stay with the other cat and I'm sure Mareta wishes he could too but you need only to investigate animal welfare in Russia to come to the conclusion it will be very hard to home him there
Valerie and all my pets

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2010, 22:57:48 PM »
Can you get lacto B powder there cos after the synalux is finished that would help harden him up, its a probiotic and mixes easily with wet food and even my fussiest boy couldnt taste it.

Does not sound that Dobyrinia will be able to travel on a plane and he needs a new home somewhere close by the sounds of it, so sad he cant stay with your friend and her cat.  :hug: :hug:

Offline Tagalong

• Senior Cat
« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2010, 15:12:33 PM »
How is he now ?-hope his tummy is better now.
Valerie and all my pets

Offline Tagalong

• Senior Cat
« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2010, 09:48:29 AM »
Synulox is antibiotiic and is likely to make his tummy worse but will be to kill  off any bacterial infection -live yogurt is good -personally i prefer Royal Canin products to Hill's.
I find Boris can have upset tummy if I vary his food so he has same all the time and it works well.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 22:50:11 PM by tagalong »
Valerie and all my pets

Offline Mareta

• Adult Cat
« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2010, 09:34:29 AM »
Yes, there was a pad in the cage, but it didn't help. Yes, I've seen it too: Dobrynia can't control his body when he is distressed.
We don't have ProKaolin paste here :(
Vet recommended  Synulox RTU, veterinary diet Hill's I/D (or RC Intestinal) and probiotics.

Offline Tagalong

• Senior Cat
« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2010, 09:12:14 AM »
sorry to hear he was so distressed -I find this happens with cats with these problems -my ifrst cat used to roll in the basket -it is the movement -all you can do is pad the basket out well so the cat is very well supported -the more distressed they become the more they lose the control of their movement.
good news he has no parasites -the colitis may be due to the heat -does your vet have any treatment for his tummy like ProKaolin paste -are you able to buy some live Bio Culture yogurt for him this may help settle the tummy .
Valerie and all my pets

Offline Mareta

• Adult Cat
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2010, 09:01:32 AM »
Hello all,
we have visited our vet yesterday.
Predictions are very conservative. He still has dystrophy and some problems with bowels (colitis). It's very difficult for him to flesh up.
CH is still in doubt.

Clinical blood analysis is normal. He has no intestinal parasites.
Biochemical blood analysis will be ready today.

The main problem is that Dobrynia behaved terribly in the transport cage. He was like in hysterics :(( He began to hit against the cage and he couldn't stand up. And he cried all the time we tried to keep him inside.
I had to let him out of the cage and drive with this little monsters sitting on my knees. He really was in panic and he couldn't recover for a long time. When I've brought him to the clinic he even couldn't stand on his paws even for a minute. :(

Offline Tagalong

• Senior Cat
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2010, 18:11:23 PM »
I don't use You tube but i do post videos of Boris on forums but only really to show off my special boy as an example of the quality of life these cats can achieve and to let others know that there is a life to be lived.
Just have to say though concerning the breeder with the Siamese CH kitty in my opinion you should not be breeding if you work 10 hours a day and if you do breed any kitten with a disability you should be able to keep it for it's lifetime that's a breeder's responsibilty and OK if you find the perfect home then great but that kitten was purposely bred and very sadly has a disability so before you breed you need to be aware that you may end up keeping some kittens you never planned to.
As for Dobrynia he was a street kitten as so many with CH are.
Valerie and all my pets

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2010, 16:55:41 PM »
I understand T. Hopefully you might be able to give Mareta some advice on caring for Dobrynia whilst she still has him in Russia and may also be able to advise on his ability to make the journey over to the UK. A special home in the UK and pet passport and transport advice is what we are all trying to sort out on this thread. Dobrynia is currently living with Maretas friend and the black and white cat which really loves him but he cannot stay with her. Just hoping that eventually he will be able to get a new special home in the UK. I'm sure Mareta would appreciate any advice you had for her regarding CH kitties (vaccinating, neutering, transport, general care etc)

I love Minimopsical...it was because of her that I even knew about CH kitties xxx
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2010, 16:46:48 PM »
Sorry T, I just didn't want you to think that anyone was putting the videos up for others to just gawk at x

Its ok Steff  :hug: I get so upset after all that Minimopsical achieved in trying to educate people, these cats have so very much more to offer and so much meaning to their lives, yes lives not existence; Minimopsical worked and loved it. I hope we will be able to give Twinkle our latest CH kitten the quality of life that Minimopsical had.

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2010, 16:32:19 PM »
Sorry T, I just didn't want you to think that anyone was putting the videos up for others to just gawk at x
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2010, 16:29:09 PM »
Just to clarify my post does not imply that any poster on Purrs is being mean.

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2010, 15:53:28 PM »
Hey T

Not sure if you have seen the whole thread or just the you tube stuff but Mareta is in Russia and have tried to find a suitable home for him over there but to no avail (she came across a lot of people telling her to pts)

She has contacted Purrs and some other UK forums to see if anyone here would be able to give Dobrinya a special home here.

We are trying to help her.

Her videos were just to show us how well he is doing :)

No one is being mean xx
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2010, 15:46:47 PM »
When will people realise that these CH cats are little lives that feel love, hunger, pain and need encouragement rather than to be filmed rolling round like some spectacle and the pts when the problems begin.
I am all for promoting what can be achieved with disabled cats and as many know CH is something that has been and is still very close to my heart; however some of these you tube pieces of trash leave me so angry as it is obvious that these poor cats will never be allowed to reach their full potential because owners see them as entertainment.

They are all very valuable little lives.

Offline littlemonsters

• Kitten
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2010, 14:29:22 PM »
Through the link here to CH cat on YouTube, I went to this other video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGl5693Yqpw&NR=1

If you scroll down, you'll find this comment:

mickeee7399 2 days ago
sofuggit, I am a breeder of Siamese kittens. I did not understand what was going on with my recent litter, and did tons of research and found out he had CH. My baby is almost 12 weeks old, and I am looking for the right person to love him. I knew he was special, and something about this kitten did not allow me to PTS. He is not unhappy. I work 10 hour days and as much as I want to keep him, I cannot give him the care he deserves. I have trained him to use the toilet after he eats.
mickeee7399
2 days ago If you are interested, please contact me at shelleee7399@aol.com

So, if anyone else is considering taking in a disabled kitty, you might want to contact this person.

Dobrynia is a poppet, and I really hope he is able to come to the home he deserves.

Offline Tagalong

• Senior Cat
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2010, 11:25:06 AM »
Lovely videos  :Luv2:
I find the older cats are very tolerant with Boris too -although I had a rescue boy who was about 5 when he came and he was brain damaged but a large cat and it did take time for the other cats to accept him as he behaved like a kitten but was rather large. :)
Valerie and all my pets

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2010, 22:11:18 PM »
Those two cats are so wonderful together and that black and white is so gentle  :Luv2:

Offline Mareta

• Adult Cat
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2010, 21:00:27 PM »
I like this video of Dobrynia playing :)) It's too hot for them - they don't want to jump, or to run... Thae just want to have a lie-down :)
http://rutube.ru/tracks/3418040.html?v=4dfe2e754aa12fc4af59264e381f60b7

But now it seems to be a little more run for both :)
http://rutube.ru/tracks/3418040.html?v=4dfe2e754aa12fc4af59264e381f60b7

"No, it's tooooo hot, really... We are very tired..."
http://rutube.ru/tracks/3418045.html?v=9fb433893c7037cf9ee09e7e817feecb
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 06:16:49 AM by Mareta »

Offline Mareta

• Adult Cat
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2010, 20:50:11 PM »
It's a very hot weather there almost for 2 weeks. Our cats sleep all the time.
Here some more pictures of Dobrynia - noe he trying to seat. It's a real progress for him!

Offline Tagalong

• Senior Cat
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2010, 23:17:41 PM »
if you click on this link you can see some videos of other cats like Dobrynia also information on similar problems-the live chat page is great too -it is an American site but really good.
http://www.chkittyclub.com/
Valerie and all my pets

Offline Mareta

• Adult Cat
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2010, 21:26:12 PM »
Well, understood. I have no UK visa, but I can try to obtain it if nessesary. I've obtained few visas for my collegues at work - there are a lot of requirements :((

Anyway, at first we should be sure that Dobrynia will stand all med treatments well.

I will try to clarify it as soon as possible.

Offline Tagalong

• Senior Cat
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2010, 21:13:54 PM »
he needs the vaccine and then the test to make sure the vaccine has been successful 6 months later before he can be given his travel passport
most airlines will only transport him in the cargo hold and really you need a travel company like those I copied from British Airways site to do the arrangements -if you got a visa he would still be in cargo hold .
if you want to make a journey with him then maybe by train but takes about 3 days I think and still needs petpassport and not sure about barrier checks etc.
Valerie and all my pets

Offline Mareta

• Adult Cat
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2010, 20:51:50 PM »
We consulted our vet 2.5 weeks ago - when I've bought Dobrynia from Moscow.
Vet said that cat is too weak and too skiny to make any vaccination.
But I've seen him today  - he looks better, my friend tries to feed him well.

As I understood, Dobrynia could be imported only in 6 month after the succesfull medical tests - so I really hope that in next 6 month he will feel better. And he would be transported by air without any problems.
Is it possible to transoprt him unaccopmanied? Or should I make the UK visa to bring him?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 20:53:25 PM by Mareta »

Offline Tagalong

• Senior Cat
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2010, 20:30:08 PM »
just been live chatting on CH Kitty club site
this might help once vet says what he thinks -this may help----

" :  hi can someone answer a query to help a CH kitty get transport from Russia to UK -is it safe for a ch kitty to be rabies vaccinated ?
 lizziebarrett:  ch kitties have no problem with rabies vaccs
  :  thanks do youthink air travel would cause problems
 tan:  no idea about Russia, but that can be checked with the carier
 lizziebarrett:  i know other ch owners have transported by air  "
Valerie and all my pets

Offline Mareta

• Adult Cat
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2010, 20:10:44 PM »
Oh, by the way - Dobrynia- is the name of old Russian epical hero.
We believe this name will help him to be healthy and strong  :Luv2:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2010, 19:48:02 PM »
I was shocked by people's responses. He doesn't feel any hurt. I've seen him today - he plays toys, he tries to seat (!), he tried to rub against my legs :)

Mareta i dont think anybody doubts his ability to live a good life  :hug: the concern is with his ability to cope with all the neccessary procedures. Hopefully the vet can confirm if it would be safe for him to start with the rabies vaccination

Offline Tagalong

• Senior Cat
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2010, 19:45:45 PM »
He is not as disabled by his problems as Boris and he is a very happy boy who loves life -I'm sure your boy is just as happy he seems very content.
Valerie and all my pets

Offline Mareta

• Adult Cat
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2010, 19:39:10 PM »
 :thanks:
We will try to consult the best vet neurologist in our city to obtain the full description of his disease.
I need to know his diagnosis.

I was shocked by people's responses. He doesn't feel any hurt. I've seen him today - he plays toys, he tries to seat (!), he tried to rub against my legs :)

Offline Tagalong

• Senior Cat
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2010, 19:17:52 PM »
An alternative option would be road travel but would take some days and probably even more stressful.
Or even train -

Mareta -a lot of ignorant people think these cats have no quality of life and 9 times out of 10 they are wrong -there are some for whom life would just be exsisting and then it's the kindest option to end it but most live normally if a bit wobbly lives as long as they are correctly cared for.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 19:38:24 PM by tagalong »
Valerie and all my pets

Offline Tagalong

• Senior Cat
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2010, 19:12:51 PM »
Has anyone actually picked up the phone and asked Defra if this cat would be granted a passport when he has this health problem? I thought passports are only granted to healthy pets? :shify: Do we know that cats with this problem have successfully tolerated the Rabies vacine? As far as I can tell from the posts we don't even a definitive diagnosis... what if this is a neurological problem? Flying and associated cabin pressure could actually be v. bad for him.  :scared:

These are all questions that would need to be asked of a vet but it is pretty obviously a neurological problem he is typical of a CH cat -all brain damage is neurological but as long s he is well supported physically he should be fine -the dangers to CH cats are from Anaesthesia and physically damage from falling etc
Flight time is 3 hours -this from BA Cargo site

Unaccompanied Pets

British Airways World Cargo highly recommends the professional and very experienced services of a Pet Travel Agent if you are considering transporting your pet overseas. Not only can they take care of bookings, documentation, veterinary requirements and travel containers, they can also arrange for your pet to be collected from your home and delivered at the destination as well.

Please note that British Airways World Cargo at London Heathrow and London Gatwick no longer has the facilities to deal with members of the public or non-account holders. All requests to ship live animals must come via a Pet Travel Agent who can make all the booking arrangements directly with British Airways World Cargo on your behalf.

Whilst British Airways World Cargo does not recommend a specific Pet Travel Agent you may wish to contact either your local Pet Travel Agent or one of the following who can make all the booking arrangements directly with British Airways World Cargo on your behalf.

Airpets Heathrow +44 (0) 1753 685571 www.airpets.com

Petair UK +44 (0) 1725 551124 www.petairuk.com

Par Air +44 (0) 1206 330332 www.parair.co.uk

Pinehawk Livestock Shippers +44 (0) 1223 290249
Valerie and all my pets

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2010, 19:04:01 PM »
My opinion is that Mareta is obviously doing the best she can for Dobrynia. I am sure she would prefer a simpler solution than arranging international travel for him. I think all we can do is try to help. Who knows what may happen to him if people here start playing god. A cat in need is cat regardless of where it is. Time is running short. If an appeal can't be started on purrs, then we have to find another forum that will help or set up a 'just giving' page. Any ideas anyone?

Edit - posted without reading PBs post.
I agree a vet will need to decide if Dobrynia is fit to travel. As far as I can tell, he doesn't have any transmittable diseases which I am sure is what DEFRA mean when they say 'heallthy'
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 19:06:22 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2010, 19:01:15 PM »
Has anyone actually picked up the phone and asked Defra if this cat would be granted a passport when he has this health problem? I thought passports are only granted to healthy pets? :shify: Do we know that cats with this problem have successfully tolerated the Rabies vacine? As far as I can tell from the posts we don't even a definitive diagnosis... what if this is a neurological problem? Flying and associated cabin pressure could actually be v. bad for him.  :scared:

Offline Mareta

• Adult Cat
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2010, 18:57:39 PM »
Sorry, I was out of the city, just returned,

yes, I understand that it seems to be strange to find him home abroad. But I really have no idea what to do else.
Nobody wants him here. He was taken once, but returned back without any explanations. The girld who took him to Moscow called ma and asked me to take him back. It was a stress for Dobrynia.  Sure, I don't want him to travel again - but there is no other way to find him a loving family.
Really I've tried a lot of times - we send posts to local newspapers, on forums etc. Some people called me and said that he should be euthanasied.

He lives now in the house of my friend, but she leaves in September. She cannot take Dobrynia.

Offline Tagalong

• Senior Cat
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2010, 22:16:44 PM »
thing is though since none of us are living in Russia it's hard to know how full rescues there are or how they operate -there must be a very good reason why he cannot stay where he is -I totally agree it seems a shame as both cats are so happy together and since it would be the simplest solution I would assume it can't happen longterm
Valerie and all my pets

Link to CatChat