Author Topic: Eight Lives Left Kitten Rescue Update  (Read 82304 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Eight Lives Left Kitten Rescue Update
« Reply #331 on: March 01, 2011, 10:56:53 AM »
glad things are looking up

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #330 on: March 01, 2011, 10:40:17 AM »
Just to update that everyone is fine here.  Dry food has arrived and being really appreciated by all the little ones.  Delay on the wet food but it will be well used when it arrives.

One of my friends at work used to work at the local RSPCA shelter and they have kindly agreed that she can go in weekly and get a supply of cat food for me from their collections (apparently they used to give alot of it to the local Cats Protection) so that is helpful as well, and spoke to them at the RSPCA and anyone looking for cats in my area who go to them will be given my number so that might help move things along a bit as well, although so far all I have had is calls for kittens which I do not have, but it is all a step in the right direction.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #329 on: February 25, 2011, 14:34:18 PM »
Hope ya ok Les hun - Loads of love coming over  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #328 on: February 19, 2011, 21:34:09 PM »
Hi
Yes i am sure anything to help will be great hun.  Les also does car boots so stuff for that would be a great help.

:hug: :thanks: :hug:

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
« Reply #327 on: February 19, 2011, 16:00:24 PM »
is there anything else lesley needs like toys or blankets for the cats as i'd be more than happy to get some and post them out to her. feeding cats is so expensive these days, i can totally understand the struggle.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #326 on: February 19, 2011, 15:52:07 PM »
Purrs peeps always pull together in a crisis Lesley thats what Purrs is all about and you have done so much for kittens , you deserve all the help that we can give  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #325 on: February 19, 2011, 11:59:28 AM »
Thank you everyone for your support.  It has been overwhelming.  I didn't post on here to get sympathy or anything else, I just had to let you all know what was going on but your replies have been wonderful, all I can say at the moment is thank you. xx

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #324 on: February 19, 2011, 09:34:29 AM »
Lesley you have done more than you will ever know for the cats you have taken in,   it breaks my heart to see rescue's struggling at the moment,  the cost of looking after the cats is astonising, I really had no idea until I went to the cash and carry with T to get two weeks cat food and litter and it was £300 that is without all the vet bills etc that have to paid.  You are NOT a failure Lesley,  you can not let this break you,  things will get better,  as you say you have 50 cats still in care so there is no way you should be taken off the rescue list,  you need the support more than ever.   I cant even begin to know what you are going through at the moment,  but I know it must be breaking your heart,  anything any of us can do just ask,  don't let pride get in the way,  just ask,  you have a forum here full of people that will help you and support you,  we are all here for you Lesley and we are all thinking of you  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #323 on: February 19, 2011, 08:51:39 AM »
Someone on CC has mentioned that Pets at Home offers funding to rescues in the UK-details on the website. (I know that a rescue fairly local to me was given almost £16,000 and built a new cattery!)  :wow:

Good luck Lesley  :hug: :hug:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 08:54:30 AM by Shirley »

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #322 on: February 18, 2011, 22:40:54 PM »
sorry to hear this news.     :hug:  to Lesley, you've done a wonderful job x
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #321 on: February 18, 2011, 21:42:41 PM »
Thinking of you Lesley xxx  dont ever think that you are a failure Hun because you definately are not - you have made so much difference to so many little lives you should be proud of yourself xxx

Take care sweetie xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline StreetKatzRescue

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #320 on: February 18, 2011, 21:00:06 PM »
Lesley, got to the later thread first re help and only saw this one later so have PM'd you as Pinkbear has suggested.  Just wanted to add my support as an independent rescue and reiterate what Theresa especially has said.  The only thing I would add is that as small, independent rescues, we always operate to our limits and then when other things go wrong, especially in our personal lives, it may just tip the balance and it is hard sometimes to see our way forward.  We are all here for you, whatever you decide to do, and whatever you decide to do, please know that you have made a difference to so many cats and kittens. xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #319 on: February 18, 2011, 15:38:54 PM »
Thank you Julie may take you up on that offer cos it does help to take ones mind off things and always better off forum  :hug: :hug:

You arre right Lesley is in bits and it must be so hard to stop doing something that you love very much...............I know that cos am doing the same but it will not be public for a while  :(

Tan and I are supporting Lesley as much as we can and hope that others on Purrs will as well.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #318 on: February 18, 2011, 15:24:06 PM »
I've heard from Lesley (briefly). I am sure she's still alive and kicking.  ;)

But she's in bits, chaps, so lets please give her space. A private PM shows support... public pleas to reconcider or other outpourings add to feelings of pressure. I know no one put me in charge of anything.... but please remember she's a goodie and she's reading this too!  :hug:

Anyone who feels the need can PM me any rantings/vitriol/poems/offers of marriage to get matters off their chest... I don't mind. I shall ignore or reply as I see fit!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm going to be led by Lesley and what she wants and I'll listen when she's ready to talk.  ;)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #317 on: February 18, 2011, 15:13:18 PM »
Still waiting to hear from you Lesley, please pm me  :hug: :hug:

Wouldnt it be nice if someone were to pm or email Lesley with our support.

This again is my own personal opinion and I know I am speaking out of turn but just lately some of us rescues dont feel we are able to pour our hearts out on Purrs like we used to and its very sad, I post but keep my troubles to myself, when things were really down it used to be so helpful to be able to express our feelings if nothing else.
I know we are all very busy but it never kept us away from Purrs before, suggest peeps look at Rescue section of a year ago and maybe you will understand that rescuers are losing support in every way.

Keep strong Lesley  :hug:

I think you are misunderestanding as you have no idea why I needed Lesley to PM. Please do not judge and anticipatte what you know nothing about,,,,,,,,,,,,,I find this post so very upsetting   :'( :'(

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #316 on: February 18, 2011, 13:33:08 PM »
Have PMd.  :hug: :hug:

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #315 on: February 18, 2011, 13:28:35 PM »
I do not normally read the threads of other rescues and am sorry for you personal losses.

As for the work you have done and continue to do, you have been brilliant.

Make sure you local paper and radio know what is happening to you.

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #314 on: February 18, 2011, 11:36:45 AM »
Hi Les hun

No way no way are you a failure hun good gowd completely the opposite for all the little ones you have loved and cared for, saved from awful times and found them loving homes.  :Luv: :hug: :hug: :hug:
As far as i am concerned you still have 50 rescues and are still very much a part of the rescue support here on Purrs. I will see what we can do hun.  :hug: :hug: :hug:
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 13:31:59 PM by Tan »

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #313 on: February 18, 2011, 11:11:46 AM »
Lesley you are far from being a failure you have helped so many cats and kittens over the years that have bought laughter and tears to all of us here at purrs :hug:

Sometimes making the decision is the first step to recovery, I hope you can get your numbers down and take a step back from things for a while, you and OH have been through so much in the last short while and it all takes its toll

You should keep your rescue status as you still have rescue babies to home so therefore are still a rescue just one in slim down the numbers mode
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #312 on: February 18, 2011, 11:00:46 AM »
Lesley - I am so sorry to hear this and echo everyones comments.

You are certainly not a failure - you must have helped hundreds and hundreds of kittens and cats and you still are with the 50 currently with you.

I hope and am sure that Purrs and its members will support you and perhaps find new ways to help you through this difficult time. :hug: :hug:

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #311 on: February 18, 2011, 09:31:34 AM »
Lesley

You are not a failure, non of us are. It is society that is the failure allowing these poor animals to suffer so dreadfully in the first place. Then society is all too happy to pass the problem on with no thought of how we make ends meet.
Just thinking, How many times has someone told you that you are an angel and you`ve thought I`d much rather have a pouch of cat food  :rofl: we live in a very thoughtless world.
You have worked hard and saved many lives and should feel proud of your achievements, sadly I do know how you are feeling now.

Hold your head up with pride and think of the lucky ones who are here now because of your committment  :hug: :hug:

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #310 on: February 18, 2011, 09:29:55 AM »
Quote from: Lesley (Eight Lives Left Kitten Rescue) link=topic=32885.msg650464#msg650464 date=1298020742

I don't really know what to post, I feel a failure.
[/quote

You are anything but a 'failure' Lesley.  After the last year or so and the personal and rescue troubles you have had to endure you are a true gem of this world.  Things have just got too much and I for one do not blame you for having to reach a point and say enough is enough.

I am sure I, along with many others here are not alone in saying whatever your decision we back you 110%.  You deserve all of our support while you get yourself back on an even keel and for the first time in a long time - put yourself first!!

:hug: :hug:  love to you all :hug: :hug:
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #309 on: February 18, 2011, 09:23:35 AM »
Lesley I'm sure all the cats you've helped in the past and the 50 you have living under your roof don't think you are a failure - you are one person against a tide of ignorant people who think animals are disposable, you can't help everyone, it doesn't reflect badly on you but on the rest of us

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #308 on: February 18, 2011, 09:19:02 AM »
Thanks T.

I don't really know what to post, I feel a failure.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #307 on: February 18, 2011, 09:02:47 AM »

Wouldnt it be nice if someone were to pm or email Lesley with our support.

This again is my own personal opinion and I know I am speaking out of turn but just lately some of us rescues dont feel we are able to pour our hearts out on Purrs like we used to and its very sad, I post but keep my troubles to myself, when things were really down it used to be so helpful to be able to express our feelings if nothing else.
I know we are all very busy but it never kept us away from Purrs before, suggest peeps look at Rescue section of a year ago and maybe you will understand that rescuers are losing support in every way.

Keep strong Lesley  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #306 on: February 18, 2011, 00:38:36 AM »

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #305 on: February 17, 2011, 20:54:52 PM »
I was only thinking of you a few days ago Leslie as we haven't had any updates for a while.

Really sad to hear this news but can totally understand. All of the Purrs rescuers have had such a hard time, I really don't know how you all do it.

Its sad the rescue will be losing a wonderful and experienced person like yourself but I guess there comes a point where you have to draw a line for your own sake...otherwise you would need rescuing yourself *hug*

I hope you find wonderful homes for the current furries and can eventually start to relax and reccouperate. You have had a lot going on over the past months.

Steff xx
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #304 on: February 17, 2011, 20:46:46 PM »
I assume Admin will remove me from the rescue list.

I can't say for definite, but with 50 rescue cats still to care for I'm not sure. You're still providing a rescue service for them. :hug: I'm so sorry Lesley. :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #303 on: February 17, 2011, 19:41:39 PM »
So sorry  x

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #302 on: February 17, 2011, 17:33:23 PM »
Very sad to hear this Lesley  :hug: You have done an amazing job and there are hundreds of cats that owe their lives to you  :hug: 

On a personal note, I would still like to see Purrs supporting Eight Lives left rescue as the cats in your care are still cats you have taken into your rescue or handreared and still need vet care, food etc while looking for forever homes  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #301 on: February 17, 2011, 16:46:35 PM »
Lesley I am so terribly sorry that you are going to have to shut your doors and think most of us on Purrs are well aware of the costs and also understand what Teresa is saying   :hug: :hug: :hug:

Please will you pm me about funding etc, I know you have haqd a very tough time over the last few months  :hug: :hug:

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #300 on: February 17, 2011, 16:44:45 PM »
So sorry to hear that you are in this position Lesley, you have done so much for the cats and kittens in your care.  Good luck with rehoming the cats that you have in your care at the moment.

Please take care of yourself, and don't be beaten into submission by people trying to force you into taking any more cats into your home.

I wish we were able to take on a couple more but at the moment its all up in the air with trying to move.

Thankyou for My babies as without you and people like yourself I wouldn't have been able to rescue.

Take care, I will be down in the next couple of weeks with some stuff for you.

Nicky xx

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #299 on: February 17, 2011, 16:11:04 PM »
Lesley my heart goes out to you, so many times I have been exactly where you are now and I honestly dont think people stop to think where the money comes from. You have to go through the daily agonies and heartache of rescue to truly understand just how bad things are both physically and emotionally without the added financial burden and increasing personal debt which we all end up with.
On a point of admin removing you from rescue list, its my own opinion that you need help and support more than ever at this time, you rescued those cats and they are still going to need care until they are rehomed, Being a rescue myself I know just how much those costs escalate and just how tough and worrying everything is  :hug:
I truly hope admin can see what I am getting at and try and help in some way.
The internet can be a wonderful tool to help with rehoming/fundraising but I am going to say something now that needs to be said
The internet is destroying many small rescues,for example putting up petitions for red nose type days for rescue animals BUT BUT BUT the small unheard of hardworking rescues like us wont benefit, the funds would go away from our areas and away from little ones like us who are too busy working our butts off with the real hard rescue work, the people who would get any funds are the ones who are clever on computers,the ones who have time to post ads everywhere and who dont do the dirty or hands on work, in other words the ones making a name from passing cats on to others.

Lesley take care, you deserve better and hopefully something will turn up  :hug:

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #298 on: February 17, 2011, 15:02:06 PM »
Sorry to hear things have been so tough and you're having to close your doors. :(
My heart goes out to you, take care
 :hug:
Jas
 X

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #297 on: February 17, 2011, 11:43:10 AM »
sorry to hear this Lesley but not surprised, all of you single people rescue give up so much of yourselves I don't know how you do it  :hug:

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #296 on: February 17, 2011, 11:25:49 AM »
It is with great regret, sadness and amazing heartache that I am writing to say that Eight Lives Left is having to close it's doors.  I just cannot carry on anymore.  The cats that are still here (and there are still over 50) will remain in my care until they can find homes but I cannot take in any more.

The financial pressure has finally taken it's toll and I just can't carry on.  The rescue has always been mainly financed by me and despite going back to work to help pay for it, it is still costing more than I can earn to keep the cats already here let alone take any more in.

I can'r write more at the moment, sorry.

I assume Admin will remove me from the rescue list.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #295 on: January 12, 2011, 09:19:06 AM »
Sending you lots of  :hug: :hug: :hug: at this difficult time xx

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #294 on: January 11, 2011, 22:51:03 PM »
What a terribly sad time for you, Lesley.

Hoping the service goes smoothly and that things aren't too tense. :hug:

Cob sounds a lovely character. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #293 on: January 07, 2011, 23:33:05 PM »
Lesley so sorry to hear about Mike's mum so soon after his dad passing as well.  :hug: :hug:

Lots of chinrubs to all your charges especially Cob whose wandering days are now over  :Luv2:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #292 on: January 07, 2011, 17:53:07 PM »
Sorry to hear about your recent losses, what a difficult time  :hug:

Link to CatChat