Author Topic: Eight Lives Left Kitten Rescue Update  (Read 82303 times)

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
Re: Did I say I was quiet!! - not today but not a good day either
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 17:50:39 PM »
Regret to let you know that little white and Tortie persian (who I named Summer) was put to sleep this morning. :'( :'(  Her cleft palate was too severe and although tube feeding may have helped now complications would have occurred at weaning time and my Vet felt it unfair to her and me.  She would most probably have had to undergo major surgery at a very early age which would have carried severe risks.

On a happier note, little grey male (called Solstice) is holding his own and eating 2mls every two hours at the moment. :Luv2: 
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 08:07:36 AM »
i am sorry you have had such a heartbreaking day, RIP to the little ones who didn't make it. Fingers crossed for the other 2.
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 23:41:27 PM »
What a heartbreaking day. Hope tomorrow is better for you, Lesley. :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 23:21:36 PM »
Ahhhh, poor little souls  :'( :'( :'(
Hope they get a miracle and they do improve  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 23:16:15 PM »
Sorry Lesley  :hug:

Also sorry but the only time I have heard of kittens being born with cleft palates is by a rescuer. She said she used to be a breeder and her vet allowed her to keep euthanasia kit at home in case any kittens were born with cleft palates. She said there was no hope so they were euthanised straight away  :'( - Maybe times have moved on since then and I guess severity also comes into it - the bottom line is quality of life, as you know  :hug:

It says here that it can heal or be repaired according to severity. It also says if the hole or holes are small, they can repair themselves, but the kitten should be tube fed as suckling will stop the healing.
http://www.messybeast.com/handrear.htm#cleftpalate

I think tube feeding will be the only hope for the little one - will be going to the vet tomorrow and if he thinks it is worth a try I will attempt tube feeding - but I think he will say the hole is too large.  I read some sites where they say the holes can be surgically repaired when the kitten is older but I have a feeling my vet will not concur. :'(  I have also read it is a congenital defect in certain breeds such as persians and this kitten is definitely a persian, I have never seen such a squashed up little face. :(

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 23:06:57 PM »
Sorry Lesley  :hug:

Also sorry but the only time I have heard of kittens being born with cleft palates is by a rescuer. She said she used to be a breeder and her vet allowed her to keep euthanasia kit at home in case any kittens were born with cleft palates. She said there was no hope so they were euthanised straight away  :'( - Maybe times have moved on since then and I guess severity also comes into it - the bottom line is quality of life, as you know  :hug:

It says here that it can heal or be repaired according to severity. It also says if the hole or holes are small, they can repair themselves, but the kitten should be tube fed as suckling will stop the healing.
http://www.messybeast.com/handrear.htm#cleftpalate
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 23:11:04 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 22:44:07 PM »
Crikey what a day!  :shocked: I don't envy you with such young kittens - I wouldnt know where to start (oh - well, Purrs of course  ;) Our rescue took in some very young kittens the other day who were in a cardboard box at the tip - mum ran off and was never found and despite best efforts all the kittens died  :(

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 22:37:18 PM »
Yes, I saw your post Steff, glad he is getting sorted, another happy ending. :Luv2:

My latest addition is feeding well but my little cleft palate is not so good, as much coming back out through nose as seems to go in. :'(

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 22:30:30 PM »
What an awful day for you Lesley :( I hope the two you have make it (fingers crossed).

I'm guessing you saw my post about my ladies stray cat and luckily she didn't have kittens under the decking *phew*

She actually turns out to be a he, the lady was able to take him to the vets at the weekend. He is un-neutered so CP are going to give the lady vouchers and once he is all "sorted" she will try to introduce him to her other cats. So happy ending after the initial panic!! Thank you again for your help.
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 22:01:44 PM »
Oh Lesley what an awful day  :hug: :hug: :hug:

I hope things look up soon

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
Eight Lives Left Kitten Rescue Update
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 21:34:05 PM »
After only having Miaow Miaow in over the last few weeks, today was a nightmare.

This morning had a call from a woman in Portsmouth.  Her cat had given birth two weeks prematurely and two did not make it, but two were still alive and mum had rejected them :'(  Rushed over there but by the time I arrived another one had died.  I have never seen such premature little ones, they basically had no fur, no eyes and their skin was "sticky" to the touch.  Rushed the two of them to my vets, (took the little one in case he was still alive) but on arrival they had both passed away.  To be honest, I don't think they would have survived long, impossible to tell if their organs had even developed fully.

Got back home and got a call from the PDSA to say they had two 7-10 day old kittens handed in, could I take them.  Got over there to discover that they are not 7 days old, probably only two to three.  They were found in a carboard box in a park by someone's dog. One of them was deformed, had no tail and no anus and was already swelling in the abdomen so it was decided to let him go.  The other one, a beautiful white and tortie girl, who looks like a persian, has a cleft palate and I think she will have to be put to sleep tomorrow unless I can convince my vet to let me try tube feeding to see if it can be repaired.  Anyone had any luck with a kitten with cleft palate?

Finally started to relax about 7.30 this evening and got a call about a mum who had given birth to kittens under their decking.  They have a dog and have foxes come in the garden so were worried for the safety of the kittens.  By the time I got to this one mum had scarpered with one kitten but left the other one behind.  The gentleman had tried moving the kittens so I don't know whether mum was scared off or if she was just moving them.  The garden was a complete tip with woodpiles 6 ft high, an empty swimming pool and numerous other obstacles.  It backs on to a naval base which is apparently full of foxes and goes on for miles.  We tried searching for mum and tried waiting to see if she would return but no sign.  The family finally decided they would like me to take the remaining kitten, as it was now getting cold, and no one knew if mum would return.  They had not seen her before today and had no idea of where she had come from or gone to. 

So out of six kittens, I have one day old kitten and one 2/3 day old with a cleft palate that probably won't make it, and will be another heartbreaker, and a sleepless night ahead.  I hope tomorrow is quieter. :tired:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 07:59:34 AM by Lesley (Eight Lives Left Kitten Rescue) »

Link to CatChat