Author Topic: California Healthy Pets ACt  (Read 1010 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: California Healthy Pets ACt
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 08:48:28 AM »
and according to my vet, CP are recommending that age now.

Yes, on their vouchers it says as soon as possible after 4 months. However many vets will still will  not neuter/spay until kittens are 6 months old
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 07:58:43 AM »
WEll, that was brought up on the American forum I found it on, and some people said that vets would just need training to do it - but 4 months isn't really that much of a pediatric spay/neuter, and according to my vet, CP are recommending that age now.
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 06:42:08 AM »
This is great, in principle, but some vets in the UK won't spay/neuter a cat till 6months.  Otherwise I totally agree with it.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
California Healthy Pets ACt
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 11:45:57 AM »
They are trying to pass a new law, part of which states

The California Healthy Pets Act (AB 1634) would require the spaying and neutering of most cats and dogs by the time the pet is four months old. It is authored and was introduced by Assemblymember Lloyd Levine.

Pet owners who have not spayed or neutered their pet would be cited and given time to spay or neuter their pets before a fine would be assessed.

Local animal control agencies would be responsible for enforcing the California Healthy Pets Act. A portion of the fines collected would be used to expand the availability of free or low-cost spay or neuter programs and other outreach efforts.

The California Healthy Pets Act exempts:

* Purebred dogs and cats whose owners obtain a permit
* Dogs who work as guide dogs, service dogs, or signal dogs
* Dogs who are used by law enforcement agencies for law enforcement or rescue activities
* Dogs and cats whose veterinarian determines that due to age, poor health, or illness it is unsafe to spay or neuter them

Wish everywhere would go along with that - 4 months isn't that young, and if they can find a way of enforcing it, it would be excellent.

Here is a link to the full thing

www.cahealthypets.com
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat