Author Topic: Matted Fur  (Read 1546 times)

Offline Saska

• Adult Cat
  • Millie
Re: Matted Fur
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 20:15:44 PM »
At the weekend I noticed that our cat has very matted hair at the back of her body near her tail. We do groom her, but the brush must have gone straight over the matted fur parts. Is there any way of removing this fur without hurting her. I do try to pull them apart and or come them out but she meows.

Thanks  :(

That is a common place for hair to knot and needs to be regularly combed through as you have found out the brush cannot cope if the hair has started to matt. Hopefully the knots are not too tight into your cats skin and you can tease the knots apart with the comb. Yes I bet she meows as the knots can cause great pain and discomfort if left too long. Start combing/teasing from the end of the hair furthest away from the skin. Little and often is the way to go so as not to stress her and of course lots of tlc and  :Luv2:
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 19:07:17 PM »
Try a comb with rotating pins or take her to a groomer to sort and then establish a new routine from there  ;D

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 22:11:55 PM »
This little battery trimmer is quite good for removing knots, its fairly quiet (although if you do decide to get one, I'd run it while she's in the room first to get her used to the sound before you actually try it on her) . http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wahl-Trimmer-Battery-Rubberised-8066-717/dp/B000HC2MDE

Offline liquorice

• Adult Cat
  • New picture
Matted Fur
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 21:15:55 PM »
At the weekend I noticed that our cat has very matted hair at the back of her body near her tail. We do groom her, but the brush must have gone straight over the matted fur parts. Is there any way of removing this fur without hurting her. I do try to pull them apart and or come them out but she meows.

Thanks  :(

Link to CatChat