Author Topic: We need a lost and found register person  (Read 1697 times)

Offline Marie

• Senior Cat
  • Maisy and Tommy
Re: We need a lost and found register person
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 14:04:12 PM »
Same here really, I would have some spare time but am in Somerset so really no help.  Mark's idea sounds like it would definitely be worth a try though.
Marie, Maisy and Tommy xxx

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 10:23:43 AM »
Hope you don't mind Sharon but I called the Whitstable volunteer centre (based at Tankerton castle) They said if someone calls on Monday after 10.30,  they will put some feelers out. They said they basically match volunteers up with various jobs and don't see any reason why they couldn't find somebody for this. If that's any help, either I can call them or you as you have a better idea of what's involved.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 09:25:53 AM »
I suppose what we should be doing is supplying chipping vouchers with neutering vouchers

I think most rescues do chip before re-homing nowadays. As previously advised a few years ago CP  started to chip and offered free training to every branch. It is easy peezy  as the idenTichip rep comes to the house to train you. At one time we had 3 fosterers  trained in a morning,  well in about an hour really. All a branch needs to do is contact HQ and ask and they will arrange it.  Thank you this has reminded me to order some more chips for one of the fosterers.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 08:48:12 AM »
There main reason is that cats can travel along way and descriptions are fought with difficultly. I know thats a problem but it would at least help the situation.  Besides they have the resources I dont! They give the idea that a black cat missing in Kent may of travelled from afar and it is difficult to match up.  What I say is that something on a central scale is better then nothing. 

I suppose what we should be doing is supplying chipping vouchers with neutering vouchers, or making it law to chip your cat. 

If I had the time I would add it to the list of jobs I already do for the branch but the fact is lost and found is a job in itself and I just dont have the spare time to do that.

Still enough of my gripes for the morning, but we have a preg mum in our care at the moment found wondering near a school on the verge of getting run over.  She looks in good condition but no one has reported her missing, everything "thinks" she is a stray but again no chip and no collar.

Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 00:52:47 AM »
I wish you a lot of luck with this. I am out of district so not much help.

I know it's not the point of your post but what was the reason given for CP HQ not wanting to set up a central register. It has always bugged me that if you lose a person you can go to the nearest police and they will use their countrywide network to help trace a missing person. If it is a cat, the owner is confronted by a barrage of independent charities and branches of CP, RSPCA, etc many of whom they do not know.

Whilst the numbers rof missing cats are far greate than people, it irks me that so much time and efort is duplicated. It could be better used elsewhere in cat welfare, I wish their was one central data base serviced by a network of people. CP as the leading cat charity in the UK should be looking to set an example to co-ordinate this but there doesn't seem to be the will at HQ. I have my suspicions why.
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 00:48:42 AM »
Like wise but in wales  :(

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 21:15:28 PM »
Good Luck finding someone ... I would love to offer to help but unfortunately I am not local (Nottingham).
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
We need a lost and found register person
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 20:19:03 PM »
Hello all
Just a thought I would post and see if anyone can help!
Being a small branch we dont have much slack for lost and found and recently lost our lost and found register person.  I think its really annoyinglost and found as all rescues end up reinventing the wheel so to speak. I have asked CP HQ to perhaps set up one central database but they dont think its a good idea!
Anyhow any one out there with some free time (whats that!) who lives SE was be prepared to volunteer some time for us and set up a lost and found register for our branch?

Notify vets and rescue, you know the usual stuff.

We just don't have the time to check and make logs, all we can do is do posters for the cats in our care and give advise to general public.

We dont really have a good PetSearch this way, there is no central database, just lots of little ones. We just cover the CT areas of Kent,  and also Faversham area as well.

Anyhows just a thought, you never know who is on the forum. 

Someone with a grip of IT and has email access and a telephone may be able to help us help all those lost cats out their, at the moment we just try our best.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 20:20:31 PM by canterbury_cats »
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Link to CatChat