Author Topic: soggy dry food  (Read 2208 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: soggy dry food
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2007, 09:11:37 AM »
Thanks for that info, Susanne. I have (once or twice) fed my cats dry food in water. This has been because I've run out of Whiskas and have been too ill to go to shop. I don't like giving my oldies a diet of dry food, so keep them as treats to sprinkle on wet food. If this is the case in future, I'll only leave it out for 30mins.  :thanks:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 20:33:01 PM »
I'm a bit concerned as I still haven't sighted them yet. It could be cats that are eating the food. There is a Tortie that has been hanging around - I think she has a home but is a wanderer. There are a lot of birds in my garden and she is after them!

The garden that I assume they hibernated in has had some work done. Somebody bought the empty house and moved a skip in about 6 weeks ago and they chopped some foliage down - I hpe they are OK. When I see them again, I wonder if they would be safer at Lord Whiskey as when they get going on the garden properly, they will be in danger (they are waitin for planning permission to renovate the house)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 17:59:30 PM »
Hedgehog rescue would probably be able to find you one wink wink nudge nudge  ;)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 07:55:06 AM »
hedgehogs might be back.

I love the hedgehogs,  used to feed any left over wet cat food. Unfortunately they cannot get into the garden now as we have a fence surrounding it now. Mind you if ever there was a blind hedgehog it would be a safe haven for them and a lovely hidy place under one of the cat pens.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 23:30:25 PM »
Cats can be foul creatures sometimes  :rofl:  My mum often throws out the dried / stale food  for the birds to eat ... of course her fussy little monsters couldn't possibly eat it while it's in the bowl in the kitchen .. however as soon as it's on the lawn and the magpies show interest in it ... they trot off down the garden and eat it themselves!

These are the same cats that will sit next to the water bowl waiting for it to be filled with fresh water (anything over 12 hours won't be touched) however they are more than happy to drink nasty scummy green water, complete with bird feathers and other ewwww straight out of the bird bath  :rofl:

Kylie rarely touches wet food (only fish) but for the last 2 nights, I have left wet food in the garden as the hedgehogs might be back. I went for my pre-bed ciggys & wine outside and she was noshing away - she wouldn't touch sainsburys own pouches if I put them in the her bowl  :Crazy:

Cats eh  :Crazy:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 22:02:51 PM »
Maybe you should leave some dry food in your cupboard to go damp and then collect some rain water and leave to ferment for 24 hrs   :evillaugh:

Clapton says "kitty cordon bleu"  :cook:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 22:01:26 PM »
Ah, that explains why in the summer, the dry food the hedgehogs don't eat grows fur  :sick:

Luckily it has been quite cold today so hopefully he's OK - he ate well tonight and is fast asleep now.  :Luv:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 20:37:48 PM »
Please be careful if you're feeding moistened dry food - either deliberately or accidentally.  Dry food has a lot of bacteria on the surface and when you add water to it and leave it at room temperature the bacteria can multiply very quickly resulting in one very upset stomach.  If you do moisten dry food best not leave it down for more than 30 minutes.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 19:47:53 PM »
Cats can be foul creatures sometimes  :rofl:  My mum often throws out the dried / stale food  for the birds to eat ... of course her fussy little monsters couldn't possibly eat it while it's in the bowl in the kitchen .. however as soon as it's on the lawn and the magpies show interest in it ... they trot off down the garden and eat it themselves!

These are the same cats that will sit next to the water bowl waiting for it to be filled with fresh water (anything over 12 hours won't be touched) however they are more than happy to drink nasty scummy green water, complete with bird feathers and other ewwww straight out of the bird bath  :rofl:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 18:43:49 PM »
Maybe you should leave some dry food in your cupboard to go damp and then collect some rain water and leave to ferment for 24 hrs   :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
soggy dry food
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 18:35:31 PM »
If I dared to give Clapton dry food soaked in water.......

I just went in the garden a caught him eating some dry food I put out last night for the (potential) hedgehogs. It's been raining today and it went all sloppy. Still, it's good for him I suppose.  :evillaugh:

Link to CatChat