Author Topic: Applaws dry food  (Read 2367 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Applaws dry food
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2010, 11:32:47 AM »
I just looked at the Purely "Even More Meat" 70% version and there are no colourings in it. The only EC additive are vitamins. I opened it and it looks and smells just like Applaws/Encore

These are the ingredients: Poultry meat meal (min 26%), potato, fresh chicken, poultry oil, chicken liver, brewers yeast, sugar beet pulp, cellulose, cranberry extract, green tea extract, prebiotic FOS, Prebiotic MOS, Minerals, vitamins with antioxidant EC additives (vitamin E and vitamin C), contains tocopherol rich extracts of natural origin, Total chicken min 70% (Made in UK)

I googled the manufacturer reference and it is made by http://www.goldenacres.co.uk/
There is nothing to say that they don't also make Applaws for MPM?
One of the photos on their site shows pallets of JWB  :shify: http://www.goldenacres.co.uk/partnership.shtml
And another shows bags of Almo Nature http://www.goldenacres.co.uk/partnership_packaging.shtml  :shify:
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 11:41:28 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 10:21:52 AM »
I suppose there must be a formula to work it out but with my very basic knowledge of chemistry, I would know how.

Apparently, phosphorus in the body is phosphate, which is a molecule made from one atom of phosphorus with 4 atoms of oxygen. I assume that calcium must have a stronger affinity than oxygen  :Dont know:. Maybe we have a biochemist that can explain it?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 10:25:27 AM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2010, 10:10:39 AM »
Could it not be worked out as they do tell you the amount of calcium as well?
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 10:05:58 AM »
I suppose it is all relative to meat content, after all, that is where the phosphorus is. Thinking about it, it is a shame they don't tell you the amount of phosphorus that can be absorbed; which is dependent on the amount of calcium.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 09:54:17 AM »
Normal Purely has a lot less phosphorus in than the one you bought Mark, the 40% meat content is 0.7, which is incredibly good - RC Renal is 0.3.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 20:11:50 PM »
Purely isnt comparable to applaws as it has colours and rice in it?!

Encore is definately applaws under a different label, somebody explained something before about sainsburys wanting a unique product so they got a different name and slightly different flavour combos...

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 09:52:14 AM »
I have tried it but mine aren't keen. Also, the meat quantity isn't that great - 16% I think. Alice & Kylie seem quite happy with Hill's senior light which is 50% meat but 0.9 Phos. I struggle to get Clapton to eat any dry. I know with CRF he shouldn't eat any but I like the idea of him geting the trace mineral etc that you don't seem to get in wet - especially the type he likes, ie Whiskas & Felix  :evillaugh: - I bought a box of Lidl pouches yesterday. They are couble-flavoured - ie beef  liver and there in a min 4% of each of the flavours and it is only about £2.20 a box.

I might give Proplan a try again soon as it seems to be a better quality food than Purina one - ie higher meat content, the senior has glucosamine in etc.

I didn't know there were 2 kinds of Purely. I only saw one in PAH. tbh, I got it mainly for the hedgehogs; I would only feed it as a treat to the cats.

Kylie also has some (not much) Specifics weight-loss dry. It doesn't contain any meat but it does have fish and egg in, as well as Salmon oil. It is 0.71% Phos.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 10:10:59 AM by Mark »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 09:47:07 AM »
MArk, PAH do two different foods, one at 40% chicken, one at 70%, very similar boxes, but a different price and the 70% comes in a bigger box than the normal Purely, as the normal one comes in 400g and 1kg, whereas the other is 1.5kg. If your concerned about Phos, Purina one is even lower than Purely at 1.1%.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 09:03:33 AM »
I'm sure it is the same stuff as t even says MPM Products on the box  :)

I picked a box up for Sharon for Leo last week and it was 25% off, so about £3.75 for 8. It is a shame it isn't complete.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 08:48:40 AM »
Applaws is sold under the name Encore in Sainsbury's. It is the same food but cheaper. At the moment is is 25% off as well so even cheaper. 

I didn't know that about Encore Mark but got 3 small tins for our 6 to share as a treat on Easter Sunday.  They loved it  :)  I thought it looked very much like Applaws.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 07:51:28 AM »
Applaws is sold under the name Encore in Sainsbury's. It is the same food but cheaper. At the moment is is 25% off as well so even cheaper.

I know there is a legal thing going on with Applaws dry food. For obvious reasons, I can't post anything on Purrs but you could google it.

Pets At Home sell a comparable food called "Purely" with 70% chicken. It is 20% off at the moment - £6.39 for a 1.5kg box.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/purely-adult-complete-cat-food-with-chicken-2kg-14853
The box on their link says 40% chicken but I bought some yesterday and it is 70% now.

Having older cats, I am concerned with phosphorus levels. Purely is 1.53%, compared with about 2.5% with applaws.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 08:08:22 AM by Mark »

Offline harlequin

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 06:36:54 AM »
I feed my cats James Wellbeloved and and even their kitten food comes in all four flavours, and I don't think any of them are chicken! ;D It might be worth trying your kittens on that if you're reluctant to move them onto adult food just yet. James Wellbeloved it round about the same price as Applaws, I think.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 20:04:55 PM »
Interesting its slighty lower in calcium, i would have guessed that to be one thing higher in kitten food  :-[
At 8 months it would be ok to feed adult. My kitten eats mainly adult food as thats what suits her tummy and shes growing well  ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 16:07:53 PM »
I stopped feeding kitten food after spaying at 6 months

Offline kem

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 16:06:50 PM »
I'm finding it hard to find all the analysis information - even on Applaws website they dont provide this info, although they do for their dry dog food  :-:

So far all I've found is a difference in the calcium amount, which is 0.12% lower for the kitten food. Guess I'll have to go in store to see if theres any more info on the back.

I guess there will be a difference in kibble size. Would my 8 month kittens be able to cope with adult sized kibble if I end up buying the adult food?

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 15:41:07 PM »
Usually there's a slight difference in the fat content and, therefore, the calorie content.  But it is very small with some brands.  I don't know about Applaws - is the nutritional analysis exactly the same?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 13:51:40 PM »
most kitten food it higher calorie but other than that I'm not sure, bet someone else will know though

Offline kem

• Kitten
Applaws dry food
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 13:41:30 PM »
Is there a difference between the Applaws Kitten and Adult dry food? As looked at the kitten one, and the adult chicken one, and they both seem to be identical (except the amounts you are meant to feed them)

Only asking as my two kittens have gone off chicken, so would prefer to get them the Chicken & Salmon, but this isn't available as kitten food.

Link to CatChat