Author Topic: Cattery problem (Manchester area)  (Read 2891 times)

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
Re: Cattery problem (Manchester area)
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 11:17:05 AM »
Thanks for your replies everyone!

I will let my bf know that we should be able to find someone who is police checked and insured, as we were pretty much under the impression that anyone could do it and you can't just hand over house keys without feeling secure!

I am in the NW of Greater Manchester (Walkden)

I am going to ask the vets at Gertis appointment if they can double up her injections though - although I really still dont like the idea of giving my babies to a cattery and having them think we have abandoned them!
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Charlotte T (thepawfessionals)

• Adult Cat
  • How squeezable am I?!!! Paddy as a baby
    • The Pawfessionals Purrfect Pet Care Services
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2006, 22:44:00 PM »
I'm a petsitter Cheesecat but not in your area unfortunately.  We are a very good breed us lot as long as you make the right choice ie make sure they are insured and police checked, even better if they have a few animal qualifications.  If you decide to use one then you will get to meet them before you actually book them for your kitten so you should be able to suss out what type of person they are.  Ask for refs and check them out as well.  Hope you can find somebody  :luck:
One can never have too many cats.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 21:28:49 PM »
Pet sitters are really good if you get one you're comfortable with.  Mine's the next best thing to me Mum! 

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
  • My first rescues Chas and Dave!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 18:09:21 PM »
Whereabouts are you?
Only The Educated Are Free

www.catactiontrust1977.co.uk

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 17:28:44 PM »
Which area of manchester are you? I noticed in the vets today the vet nurses offer pet sitting and care so maybe your local vet does something similar
love
Tab

Offline Lyn-Su

• Senior Cat
  • Fearne
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 16:59:43 PM »
If you find a cat sitter in the area can you let me know??

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 16:41:51 PM »
Hi Cheesecat  :welcome:  Good to see you made it over here!

It looks like a catsitter would be the best option, I know you said your bf is not keen on the idea but you get to meet them beforehand to check you are comfortable not onlt=y with them looking after your little ones but your house aswell.  He/she will also be police checked and insured so hopefully no worries there either.

Hope you get it sorted either way and have a great weekend.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 13:58:41 PM »
I think a catsitter is your best bet.   All catteries will require up to date vaccs (or should do - I wouldn't leave mine anywhere that didn't) and that will mean both vaccinations in the initial course.  If you don't like the idea of a stranger in your house then a neighbour, friend or relative, like Rebecca suggested.  Other than that I can't see any alternative to taking them away with you or cancelling your weekend away!  :(

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 13:17:40 PM »
Do you have a friend, relation, colleague, neighbour that could feed them for you? Bit better than a stranger at least...

I've used Blossoms out near Bramhall before but I wasn't enamoured of it... I'd use it again if I needed to though, at least the cats were warm and safe and cared for.
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
Cattery problem (Manchester area)
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 12:59:52 PM »
Hi guys,

I admit that I have been a bit slack in sourcing a cattery for our kitty kids when we go away for a long weekend in York in December.
I tried to visit one last week but I drove up the country lane and just couldn't go in because I didn't like the look of it - I didn't give it much of a chance I suppose but I really don't like the idea of leaving them in a cattery :(

Anyway!
I now see that most cats need a vacc cert to be taken in - Cheese is Vaccinated with Cert but Gerti is not. She is being vaccinated when me and bf get paid (1st Dec) but I know the jabs have to be two weeks apart (well they did with Cheese) so there is not enough time for her to have both. Will ALL catteries have this policy? Even if the cats are being kept apart?

My mum will take them in but as we are going to York it will add 5 hours + onto our journey going to drop them off in Coventry first.

Is there any other alternative? Is it def two weeks between jabs?
I put the idea of a "cat sitter" (the people who come into your house and feed/play with them) but bf doesnt want people in the house when we are not there.

Help!  :-[
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Link to CatChat