Author Topic: Suckling Cat  (Read 2427 times)

Offline Rhona

• Adult Cat
Re: Suckling Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 13:13:13 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it.  It is a comfort thing, but many cats grow out of it.  Mia, my youngest kitten does it to me, but only if I am wearing a certain jumper or my dressing gown, so it must be the texture she likes.  My previous cat (Chico) used to do it all the time when she was young & loved our old sheepskin rug in particular, which was a matted mess by the time she grew out of it   ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 17:51:08 PM »
I have great big 5yr old boy who suckles the top of my arm as long as I am wearing the right shirt. he also tells me when he wants to do this by suckling the corner of his blanket and then looking at me!

I wouldnt worry  ;D

Offline shecat

• Senior Cat
  • Tilly Ollie and Loki
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 12:37:39 PM »
Tilly now 2 1/2 always suckled my hand from being a tiny kitten.  It was a comfort action and she would only do it to me.  She still does when she is tired or feeling affectionate, but she has lost the succling instinct and licks my hand instead, but to her its the same thing.  So I dont think its a problem, its just comfort and security.

Offline jojo1974

• Kitten
Suckling Cat
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 12:31:27 PM »
I have a couple of cats that have suckling habits and I wondered if they are something I should be worried about.

Mini is a 3 year old neutured female and she has a habit of suckling her own teats.  She will only do it when she is on my bed and goes immensly loving (normally she is a touch me not cat) and if I stroke her while she is doing it she purrs like a pneumatic drill.

Charlie is an 10 month old ginger neutured tom, he is very affectionate and loves strokes but he will always come on my lap and suckle my top (he doesn't do it to anyone else) and if I am not around he will sit in the washing and suckle my clothes.

It seems like really cute behavious but I am a little concerned about whether they are having emotional problems.  Any help would be gratefully received.

Link to CatChat