Author Topic: Some advice please...  (Read 7367 times)

Offline barney101

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Mollie, Toffee, Barney, Sophie, Ronsky, Igloo,Othelia, Venus, Spangles and Scruffy
Re: Some advice please...
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2015, 19:07:04 PM »
Ha, just came across this again...Have still got them all and big cats they all turned out to be....

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2010, 20:28:06 PM »
Too cute  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2010, 18:38:30 PM »
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww  :Luv2:

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2010, 16:59:33 PM »
Well their one week old now and doing rather well  :Luv:, The more I look at Sophie the more I think she's still really a kitten herself. Anyway today I have moved them from out of being under the bed and put them in a more comfortable place. Their eyes have just started to open now, with one of them crawling away from mum, then starts calling her because she is lost :naughty: Will do my best not to get too emotionally involved with them as for me it would be unrealisted to have 10 cats here, but they do have a kind of way of just getting at your heart :Luv2: :Luv2:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2010, 15:45:06 PM »
Beautiful - she looks very content with her kitties there under your bed  :evillaugh:

Just a thought - if the house really was a breeding factory, might it be worth reporting them to the Benefit Fraud inspectorate and HMRC - you can bet your bottom dollar that if they are receiving benefits they aren't declaring their 'income' from the breeding, and similarly I bet they aren't putting it on a tax return either...

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2010, 21:19:17 PM »
East london rescues generally cover dagenham i think, i bet a couple are kept  ;)
If the kittens are warm and quiet then they are feeding enough, hungry kittens are noisy! Weighing them is the best way of monitoring.
Your first 2 may have fed more often if mum had less milk 'in stock', iv not had many mums normally orphans, but i remember one who was low on milk and the one kitten fed regularly, there was only just enough for one or top up would have been needed

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
Awww glad to hear the kittens arrived safely, how adorable are they and so it Sophie  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2010, 08:14:21 AM »
Glad mum and babies are doing well.  :hug:

I don't know about the rescue situation in Dagenham - I grew up there. In fact my mum rescued a dog that's owner was going to have PTS for being pregnant. This happened literally days before we moved to Dagenham from East Ham. My mum had no choice but to advertise the pups as FTGH as there were no other options then (this was early 70s)

I'm sure I remember seeing a reference to a woman in Chadwell Heath that does rescue - not sure where I saw it though. I will have a look.

Edit - The only one I can see around Dagenham is Mandy's Moggies on Catchat. You probably already know about them.

MANDY'S MOGGIES CAT RESCUE
Based in Dagenham, Essex
Specializing in handrearing orphaned kittens, rescuing and rehoming adult cats and kittens, also trapping and neutering feral cats. Rescuing and rehoming for many years, Mandy's Moggies always has a selection of super adult cats and often kittens, in need of loving homes. If you can give either a kitten or cat a home for life, please contact as below.
Fosterers and Fundraisers needed: Please call if you could help by fostering a cat or cats between homes, or if you could help with vital fundraising.
Tel: 0208 517 4938 or 07905 313982
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 13:38:01 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2010, 07:45:07 AM »
 :Luv2: :Luv2:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2010, 07:22:54 AM »
I love that pic of them all lined up having a drink  :Luv2:

No idea about the kitten feeding question, might be worth PM'ing one of the rescues as they will have loads of kitten experience and hopefully be able to put your mind at rest  :hug:

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2010, 03:19:56 AM »
looks likee 5 in photo - guess white one is mums foot.

i wish treacle would hurry and have hers.

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2010, 03:01:42 AM »
I believe they are doing Ok, Sophie had a bit of a mad spell around midnight on Monday went on for around 2 hours lots of panting and tail wagging she went downstairs and had a spat with the other 5 cats. Not sure why because they have not been any bother to her or the kittens as since she has been here they have not bothered to venture upstairs. Today I got a plug in felliway defuser which seems to have calmed her down. I am not sure whether she is taking in enough fluids she does have fresh water and also a bowl of kitten milk neither seem been drank from. She is eating although will not eat any kitten food now, but she does wolf down Sheba's tuna & prawn which will have fluids included probably not enough if she is feeding kittens mind, so I will check again tomorrow and maybe have a word with the vet. I don't really want to stress her out anymore within the space of a week, new home, having kittens, plus other new cats. She is feeding and looking after her kittens so that is what is important. I have tried to make her more comfortable with beding and boxes to get her from out of under my bed, but she just returns within the hour so will just let her do her own thing and if that is where she feels safe then so be it. Funny thing though she wont use the litter tray in the bedroom she's staying in, but uses the spare bedroom litter tray.
When Barney & Toffee were born, I thought they fed constantly from their mum Mollie for the first week, although these new kittens did for the first 2 days they now seem to feed every couple of hours, so maybe someone can put me right as to how they should be feeding. Knowing me I'm probably just fluffing over nothing :) Originally I said there were 4, then there were 5 but there is in fact only 4, not sure how someone who managed an O level at maths cannot add up to 4 but there you go, must have got caught up in the excitement of it all :rofl: :rofl: 

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2010, 18:48:36 PM »
How are Mum & babies getting on?

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2010, 17:25:28 PM »
I dont know, the woman I got Saffron from was nice but I just dont think she was aware of the costs involved  :Crazy: That was her reason for rehoming her, glad she did now although a very sad outcome  :(
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2010, 16:29:02 PM »
What a pretty girl  :Luv: Looking forward to watching the babies grow up with you and hearing all about them as they grow  :)

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2010, 16:23:58 PM »
I had an inkling something was up last night as she kept jumping up and down on me constantly, head rubbing, chirping away it even got to the stage where it started to annoy me in the end but didn't really put 2 and 2 together after having only just left the vets and listening to what the vet had to say. Anyway she had 4 at 9am today again thought that might be about the lot. I stayed around till around 11am when I had to go and do some work came home around 3pm to find another one :) Just given Sophie some more food which she has wolfed down. She has made herself at home beneath my bed where she seems content with the kittens, only problem is like most beds the Dyson never gets under there :evillaugh:

Offline alenax

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2010, 14:17:04 PM »
Photos, photos!! That woman sounds like a total b****, I want money pretty badly too but I would NEVER think of endangering animals' lives in order to achieve it! I hope karma gets her sooner or later!

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2010, 11:47:00 AM »
What a beautiful kitty! At least she is in good hands now.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2010, 11:29:29 AM »
colours? sex? PHOTOS?
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 10:27:20 AM »
she does look very preg in the photo.

How many did she have? colours? sex?

Typical new breed of vet, can't tell by feel anymore , have to scan and still get it wrong! >:(

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 10:15:03 AM »
Hmmm well the vet must have got his timings wrong, said Sophie would have her kittens in about 3 weeks. Well they all popped out at 9 this morning ;)

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 23:50:45 PM »
I did take her to my vets today who carried out a scan, said she was around 6 weeks gone and there were 4 kittens due possibly 5. Also said that as they have now reached full skeletal stage and could see the hearts beating so terminating at this late stage was not possible. Other than having a good wee on his floor  :evillaugh: she is Ok

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 10:32:49 AM »
These people wont stop either way, money or no money, they dump the ones they dont want/cant sell so they end up in the rescue cycle anyway and then they take a new one on for free :tired:

Im sure sophie is glad barney let her heart rule her head.
Sorry if this offends barney but have you had her checked by a vet as it is possible to spay if not as far along as you think she is

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 10:07:04 AM »
The problem is while they are getting money for it, they will continue to do it, so while this cat is safe, it wont stop them getting another one and continuing things.
Please spay your cat

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 23:02:31 PM »
I have bought 3 pregnant cats from that site - the way I look at it is - I am getting them out of the breeding chain
All 3 were kindly taken in by a local rehoming centre

Well done Barney x

And if the 3 pregnant cats had 6 female kittens each, thats 21 cats that have been saved from this merry go round, well thats the way I would look at it. Although I do get the arguement against buying this way, but which is the less of the 2 evils?

Offline Karon

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 20:42:49 PM »
At least Sophie is saved from a life of breeding and more breeding, I think I'd have done the same although I know that really, that just puts more money in the hands of the person doing the indiscriminate breeding.  But then again you've saved one poor soul from what sounds like a dreadful life, and it sounds like she's already settling in :)

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 19:07:24 PM »
I have bought 3 pregnant cats from that site - the way I look at it is - I am getting them out of the breeding chain
All 3 were kindly taken in by a local rehoming centre

Well done Barney x

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 13:05:27 PM »
Hmmm well that depends how you look at it I guess, never posted about the rights or wrongs about buying a pregnant cat. But it never crossed my mind about the previous owner as she never came into the equation when I thought about this poor cat, my thoughts were entirely on the welfare of the cat and to stop the cycle of pregnancy and kittens. This will now happen for Sophie. The person I bought her from will carry on regardless unless legislation is brought in, with the chances of that happening being zilch. But thanks for your help all the same....

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 10:51:13 AM »
Poor Sophie, but good on you for getting her out of there, but Teresa is right too.

:hug: :hug: to you Barney

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 07:27:22 AM »
Barney Well Done for helping Sophie  :hug: will look forward to updates and hope all goes well, I bet Sophie is glad to be out of there.

For anyone reading this and thinking of doing the same thing please think twice because in buying these poor animals you are in advertantly creating a market for them.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 23:41:35 PM »
Poor Sophie  :( At least it will be her last litter though  :hug:

As Mark says it might be best to try and get a rescue on board, they may have a waiting list for kittens and you could do a direct rehoming.  Has Sophie found her forever home with you?

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 23:40:40 PM »
Hello Mark, I'm in Dagenham I have used the CP at Hornchurch when Mollie was pregnant she was another cat I took in when she had a broken leg, unbeknown to me she came into season while in plaster and let herself out the front door. Bit of a learning curve for me lol... Anyway 2 of the kittens were rehomed by veterinary nurses, 2 went to CP and I kept Barney and Toffee... I didn't particularly want another cat but when I saw this advert I just wanted to put a stop to poor Sophies cycle or getting pregnant and kittens. Normally the Hornchurch branch can not take anything in as they are constantly booked up full, but I guess thats what all rescues are like...

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 23:16:56 PM »
Where are you Barney? - maybe your local CP branch can help out?

The problem is, people like like just continue what they are doing - I'm sure there is an analogy but I can't think of it right now. Good on you for trying though  :hug:

It is so annoying that the RSPCA don't give a  :censored: - I phoned them before about an ad I saw offering to take all pregnant cats and kittens. They told me it isn't illegal to sell kittens  :tired:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
Some advice please...
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 23:05:02 PM »
Hi, OK since Monday there has been an advert on the site you all love to hate. Without going into too much detail as the ad is still there. Woman is selling pregnant cat for a ridiculous amount of money, cat is in her 2nd pregnancy at only 2 years of age. Has been going over my head the last couple of days just to go and get her out of this situation as the chances are the kittens will be sold for a quick buck and the mother will either be pregnant again or the whole clan will end up the same way. You can tell from this woman's advert that breeding is her motive, I could have done without spending this money but the old heart strings kept tugging away and to get her out of this cycle. So I went to her house this evening to collect her, the less I say about this household the better other than the fact it is what I would classify as a breeding farm on a small scale of a variety of animals everything was either pregnant or will be when their time is right >:( I told the woman that Syndel now named Sophie :Luv: would be spayed and that this would be her last litter which she seemed to take offence to. Well I paid her the money and got out of there. I think she is about 4 - 6 pregnant and it's taken her all of 5 hours to make herself comfortable on my bed ;D Bottom line is I'm going to need to find homes for the kitties in a couple of months so if anyone can help please let me know  :thanks:

Link to CatChat