Author Topic: Hello  (Read 2615 times)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Re: Hello
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 11:34:24 AM »
 :welcome: to Purrs, Oceanwave: glad you found us and decided to join in  ;D

After a bad start, Turk is lucky to have found you to care for him.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline oceanwave001

• Kitten
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 20:16:26 PM »
Is Turk still on his medication or was that just a short course?

Yes he is still on his medication.  We are slowly trying to ween him off his meds.  At the moment we are working on his steroids, and he is doing very well.  He has gone from 2 tablets a day to 1 tablet every 2 days and he should hopefully go down to 1/2 tablet every 2 days by the end of the week.  Then I think the vets will start playing with his neuro meds.  But as we think he does have a neurological problem, he may well be on medication for the rest of his life.  At about the same time he went on his neuro meds it was also suggested there could be a link between his urinary problems and another drug (used for anxiety) he was on at the time (and was immediately taken off as soon as the link was made).  So until we start playing around with the neuro meds we won't know.

Turk is so lucky to have found slaves who are devoted to him and are prepared to put in the time, patience and money to ensure their speical little friend can have the best life. 

It's quite funny because I spent about 2 years debating if we should get a cat or not.  So we did my homework, made a budget for the cat. Everything we needed to buy, to budgeting for his food/toys etc, his annual checkup and shots, and even set aside money for in case he needed veterinary treatment right after adopting him, before his insurance kicked in.  After doing this my husband said to me "Cats aren't expensive". 

He has been a very expensive little guy........but so so so worth it!!!  A lot of people thin we are insane for spending lots of money on a cat, but to us he isn't a cat he is our child.  This never goes over too well with our parents.....apparently they want human grandkids!!

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 19:12:02 PM »
Poor Turks has had a rough old time of it bless him, glad that things are much better for him now  :Luv:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 19:08:55 PM »
:welcome:
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 19:07:52 PM »
Ahhh the poor baby.  I totally agree with Rosella .... Turk is so lucky to have found slaves who are devoted to him and are prepared to put in the time, patience and money to ensure their speical little friend can have the best life.  Is Turk still on his medication or was that just a short course?

Sending lots and lots of hugs and chin rubs to a very handsome and obviously very content  little boy  :hug: :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 18:07:22 PM »
Don't know what to say to Turk's story.  How truly shocking.  The contrast between what some sick  :censored: has put your boy through and the warm loving cherished home he has now is so vast.  What a handsome lad he is too  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Well done you for taking the time to get him properly on the road to recovery.  May he pee and poo at regular intervals for many years to reward your patience and love  :hug:

Offline angel-77

• Senior Cat
  • Tia & Oscar
  • Slave to: Tia (Tee'bo) & Oscar (Oscardoodles)
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 18:03:17 PM »
Turk is lovely!!!

He is so lucky to have wonderful 'slaves' like you that have looked after him so well!!!

Offline oceanwave001

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 17:56:54 PM »
Ah many of Turks' issues have been medical and some behavioural.  Here is the very short story!! 

When we adopted him part of his tail was burnt and the rescue said to us its healing perfectly and you shouldn't have a problem.  Well 10 days after adopting him we ended up in the vets office being told he may have to have it amputated.  We spent 3 weeks trying to save it, but in the end had to have part of his tail amputated  :( 

During this time he also developed cystitis (convinced he had this issue from the day we got him), then we found out he needed to have a circumcision  :Crazy: . He had always had problems urinating (taking forever to go) but the vets always thought it was due to stress/cystitis/ his separation anxiety issue etc, not that he needed a circumcision!  After all this we were convinced he was on the road to recovery.....NOPE!!!

He still had toileting issues and they now think he has a neurological issue from a tail pull injury.  We can only theorize that his tail injury is associated to his burnt tail, but we will never know as he was a stray when he was found.  He was able to urinate normally but he was going very infrequently, which was causing discomfort, inflammation of the bladder etc..

We had a behaviourist come in and she was absolutely wonderful and we were able to help improve his environment and make him more comfortable that way, but she agreed that his main issue was medical. 

In January we really didn't think Turk could be cured and we started preparing ourselves for the worst as we knew Turks' quality of life was not good.  But amazingly when the vets made the neurological diagnosis and put him on the appropriate meds he made an amazing recovery.   Basically at the end of the day I am happy when Turk has peed twice and pooped  :rofl:  Our friends think we are quite mad!!!!   

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 16:47:19 PM »
 :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

Turk is gorgeous  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Sometimes the "issues" that cat's have are as a result of the people they are living with rather than the cat.  Once a cat is happy, loved and feels safe and secure many of the "issues" will disappear  ;)  The fact that Turk is on the road to recovery indicates this little lad has well and trully landed on his paws by getting you as his slave  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline oceanwave001

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 16:33:53 PM »
Thank you so much for such a warm welcome!

I have to agree, Turk is lovely!!  I am not biased at all   ;D

Along with his looks he sure has a quirky and wonderful personality to match!  He has so figured out that with his looks and charm he can get what ever he wants!!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 14:50:50 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs   ;D

Glad you've found us, I'm sure you'll enjoy it here.  It really is a very friendly forum with lots of friendly helpful advice, if ever needed, and of course lots of fun.

I do feel it my public duty to warn you though that it can be a teensy bit addictive  :Crazy: You have been warned  :evillaugh:

Turk is absolutely gorgeous, I love his little ginger bit in the middle of his chest  :Luv2:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 13:26:25 PM »
Hi and  :welcome: to Purrs, glad you've decided to join in  ;D

Turk is just lovely  :Luv2: :Luv2:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 12:48:56 PM »
Aw he's lovely  :Luv2:

:welcome: to Purrs, so glad you've decided to come on board  ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 12:41:39 PM »
:welcome: Turk is just lovely :Luv:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 12:09:13 PM »
he looks lovely!  glad you decided to join in!

Offline oceanwave001

• Kitten
Hello
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 12:08:12 PM »
Hello Everyone,

Glad to have finally joined this forum.  Have spent loads of time reading it.....but have finally decided to take the plunge and join!

I have a little boy, Turk, who we adopted last June.  He's only about 1 yr 5 mths, but has had a rough start to life.  When we adopted him he had many issues (we were only aware of 1 when we adopted him - long story!), but thankfully he appears to be well on the road to recovery now! 

Turk and I look forward to meeting you all.

Link to CatChat