Author Topic: Cat proof feeders - recommendations pls (Riley is a greedy pig!)  (Read 4446 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Cat proof feeders - recommendations pls (Riley is a greedy pig!)
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2010, 12:29:49 PM »
ah right - I had forgotten which one was mentioned at the start of the thread!  :-[

The normal staywell ones, ie c10 or c20, are actually cat proof in my hose as the notch on the dial has to be turned round before it will open so as long as you put a bit of sellotape over tha battery compartment it works fine.

I don't know why you are putting auto feeders in your hose  :shify: but I get your point.   They are not Mosi proof so if the pod ones are worse then I definitely won't try them. 

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2010, 10:46:56 AM »
That's the one that caused me to start this thread  :tired:

The normal staywell ones, ie c10 or c20, are actually cat proof in my hose as the notch on the dial has to be turned round before it will open so as long as you put a bit of sellotape over tha battery compartment it works fine. The petpod one in the link can be nudged open with a greedy nose as per the pics in the first post! 

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2010, 08:41:02 AM »
Has anyone tried the staywell pod ones?

http://www.petstuffgalore.co.uk/cat-products/auto-feeders/staywell-pet-pod-feeder---std.html

Are they just like the normal staywell clockwork ones but digital?  I need to replace mine as they don't work after getting soaked in my flood, but I can't afford to buy 2 more like that at the  moment.  Was wondering whether it might be worth trying the pod ones and just hope that Mosi has outgrown his silliness with auto feeders.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 08:26:13 AM »
Amazon have loads of different ones. I am at a loss what one to get as i have 2 cats and am afraid the greedy one will just eat the 2 meals. I was thinking of getting 2 of these -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cat-Mate-Automatic-Pet-Feeder/dp/B001T8KWZ0/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1270488124&sr=8-7

and putting them in seperate areas so both will get fed. But ive heard they are not very sturdy! Milo would get into it over night.

Definitely not sturdy - Mosi can get into them or he just pushes them around the floor until the batteries fall out.  Not Mosi proof.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 00:05:54 AM »
Amazon have loads of different ones. I am at a loss what one to get as i have 2 cats and am afraid the greedy one will just eat the 2 meals. I was thinking of getting 2 of these -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cat-Mate-Automatic-Pet-Feeder/dp/B001T8KWZ0/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1270488124&sr=8-7

and putting them in seperate areas so both will get fed. But ive heard they are not very sturdy! Milo would get into it over night.

I had the double version of that one, they are cat proof as the lid only pops up when the dial turns round due to a notch on the dial. The reason it doesn't suit me is that the timer is not digital so I couldn't get both bowls to pop up at exactly the same time. If you get two separate ones then they should suit your plan just fine.

are they less likely to break into these feeders if they contain dry rather than wet food?

I would have thought there would have been less smell to tempt them - though of course the naughty Rileys of this world have now learned that feeder down means food inside :evillaugh:

Not sure on that one trigger, they have a bowl of dry down permanently so Riley is only breaking in because he's greedy - not hungry!  :doh:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 23:55:29 PM »
are they less likely to break into these feeders if they contain dry rather than wet food?

I would have thought there would have been less smell to tempt them - though of course the naughty Rileys of this world have now learned that feeder down means food inside :evillaugh:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline catalyst

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Milo and Pagan
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 22:03:26 PM »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 18:24:21 PM »
i have 3 of the catmate ones in the pah link and surely a small delay between the two sides should not be problem?

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 13:17:31 PM »
And Riley is a greedy pig  :rofl:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 13:13:33 PM »
lol, they are quite big.  I can't use anything small or flimsy as Mosi just noses them around the kitchen.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 11:12:09 AM »
I had two exactly like that but never used them as they were the size of space ships! They went in one of the auctions in the end.  I think I'll just have to resign myself to Riley getting two dinners and poor Lu getting biccies  :(

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 08:20:15 AM »
I have ones like this

http://www.pettastic-petsupplies.co.uk/automatic-pet-feeder-tx4---4-fresh-meals-cat-or-small-dog-voice-announcement-387-p.asp

You can't get 2 compartments to open at once though - you'd have to have 2 feeders so that they could have one each.  They are the only ones I've found that are Mosi proof as they are quite heavy (he can still push them around the kitchen if he wants to though  :shify: thankfully  he seems to have got over that game).  As they're digital, you can set the time so that they open at the same time.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 08:20:44 AM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 16:28:06 PM »
Try PAH automatic pet feeders.

:thanks: Pudding

I can only see two types on there, have you got a different one or is yours one of the below ones?

The first one is non digital and the problem there is that it's almost impossible to get both sides to pop up at the same time so Riley still gets two meals and Lu gets nothing! (I had the exact same one before).

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/automatic-2-meal-cat-and-small-dog-feeder-by-petmate-15309

The second one only opens one segment at a time so no good for serving them breakfast together.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/automatic-5-meal-cat-and-small-dog-feeder-by-petmate-15311

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 16:11:25 PM »
he is v naughty but you have to admit he is so cute  :Luv2:

What about poor hungry, deprived Lu?  :(  :naughty:

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 16:06:13 PM »
I'm interested in this too as I hope to be able to get an automatic feeder soon so I can also stop being pestered in the morning but Dave would be just as determined to break into the goodies :evillaugh:

Offline Pudding

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 16:02:43 PM »
Try PAH automatic pet feeders.

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 15:53:55 PM »
Must be the day for piccies of my favourite boys,  first Joe and now a Pic of Riley,  he is v naughty but you have to admit he is so cute  :Luv2:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 15:48:48 PM »
Sorry hun I've never used the timed feeders, but will read this with interest when I do, as I think Poot would be just as determined as Riley  :evillaugh:  :Luv2:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Cat proof feeders - recommendations pls (Riley is a greedy pig!)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 15:29:39 PM »
I always set the feeder at night so that I don't get pestered by the boys for breakfast at the crack of dawn. I've been hearing clattering everytime I go to bed so kept watch last night and it seems Riley has been breaking into the feeder and eating both his and Lu's breakfast several hours early  >:( Luckily there's biccies available for Lu but it's not fair on him to miss out on breakfast, I often set a feeder for the evening meal too if I'm going to be out so he could be having both wet meals stolen from him  :(

Any ideas on how to catproof the existing feeder or recommendations for digital ones (so both sections can open at the exact same time) please! This is the one I currently have:  http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.206-9247.aspx

Here's Mr greedy guts caught in the act step-by-step last night  >:(

Link to CatChat