Author Topic: Raw feeding - new supplier  (Read 4210 times)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: Raw feeding - new supplier
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2010, 14:58:26 PM »
Heart is technically classed as muscle meat and not offal, so you can use more heart, alhtough don't go mad with heart as too much can give them the runs  :scared: Recommend offal percentage is around 10%, half of which should be liver.  :)

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2010, 14:42:53 PM »
Hi Gillian, I have e-mailed again to ask.

As I only raw feed part-time, I am not so concerned about getting the muscle to bone ratio right as I would be if raw feeding full time. I haven't measured that in the chicken drumsticks that I feed at present and intend to keep those. I would like to include some offal as Noah adores it and for the taurine and other nutrients. I usually feed Noah 200g raw a day - I recently weighed the offal and a chicken heart is 15-20g, liver and kidney were about 15g each. If my maths is correct I have been giving him 7-10% heart and 15% other offal so that is too much liver and not enough heart? :-[ Two hearts seems a lot, but I guess this is because it is frozen.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2010, 22:33:40 PM »
Do we know what ratio of bone to meat they are using? I would query that, and also trimmings from what parts of the pig and chicken - is it muscle meat?

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2010, 20:35:45 PM »
Reply from Farmers Choice about the content of their free-range pet mince, I am considering buying this and adding my own offal.

"Hello and thank you for your email.

The Pet Mince is made up of Pork Trimmings and Chicken Trimmings and the soft bone of the chicken only.  There is no offal or other meat types included.

With regards the Direct Debit the least you can pay is £10 amonth - the least you can order at anyone time is £30's worth.  So for a £30 order and paying £10 a month - it would take 3 monthly payments to 'balance the books'.

Payments can be set at any level from £10 a month and orders placed as an when required bearing in mind that we extend 'credit' to 3 x times the value of your monthly payments.

Another example pay £25 a month and place £50 orders every 2 months or £75 orders every 3 months.

You can Pay As You Go by card however there is a £7.50 delivery charge for orders under £75 in value.

I look forward to hearing from you.  With kind regards Nicola"
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook

Offline paddypaws

• Adult Cat
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2010, 21:27:19 PM »
 http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.206-4268.aspx   
 I recently bought a meat grinder from Tesco online for £75, and cannot recommend it enough for home making of raw food. It handles chicken thighs and wings easily with no faltering at all. Making a batch of raw food really takes minutes and I put all the parts in the dishwasher afterwards. I have complete control over the quality of the meat I buy and there is no danger of ending up with tons of a food they will not eat.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2010, 02:33:09 AM »
Just came across this pet mince for £1 a kilo and appears to be free range!  :wow:
http://www.farmerschoice.co.uk/product.php?product_id=375
Delivery is £7.50 for orders up to £75, free over £75 or free over £25 if you pay by monthly direct debit (do not appear to actually have to order monthly).

Have not got in touch with the supplier so no idea what the composition is, whether it would be a complete diet for a cat or whether the composition is consistent. Might be suitable to cut costs and feed as a complementary if not?
Lulu's Catbook

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2010, 22:38:02 PM »
They have been on raw since being kittens Gillian so I dont really understand why they dont like it - they will eat the chicken but are not over enthusiastic and lamb is normally the favourite but none of them would touch it.  Two of them nibbled at the Beef.

Not really sure what to try next, there have been a couple of other suppliers suggested on the Bengal Forum so I will have a look into those.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2010, 22:24:24 PM »
Especially I think with cats on a predominantly dry diet, it is so far removed from what they are used to it will be a real shock to them to have the real thing in front of them suddenly!

Yep, changing from dry straight to raw is prob a step too far (although some cats would be fine I'm sure) - I changed mine from dry to wet (canned/pouch etc) then to raw over a period of time, can't remember how long it took, it was 5 yrs or so ago now, but I was lucky, mine were more than ready to eat wet food and from there it wasnt too big a jump to raw.  :)

Well unfortunately it hasnt gone down too well here at all - back to the drawing board  :(

Didnt they like any of the varieties Sheryl? yours have all been used to raw though havent they? Mine all liked it - more so than the Food4 varieties - typical, they would like the expensive stuff!  ;)

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2010, 20:30:33 PM »
I do think it can be a long process changing over to raw, particularly if you have cats that have never eaten raw. My two get raw occassionally and they do like it but it can take a while for them to realise that that's their dinner and there's nothing else forthcoming!

I don't think it's a thing you can try a couple of times and then give up on, you have to commit to it long term before being able to really judge whether they will take to it or not. Especially I think with cats on a predominantly dry diet, it is so far removed from what they are used to it will be a real shock to them to have the real thing in front of them suddenly!

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2010, 20:24:20 PM »
well I ordered a sample pack today to see what my lot think.      It was an expensive way of getting it but until today my lot have never tried raw so I didn't want to order much.      {I bought some organic chicken breast in M & S and tried the kittens with a bit of it- they loved it} so I'm hoping that they will take to the sample from darlings.       
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2010, 20:02:23 PM »
Well unfortunately it hasnt gone down too well here at all - back to the drawing board  :(
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2010, 13:04:50 PM »
I have just had a reply from Natural Instincts saying:

"Unfortunately taurine which is essential for a cat’s diet is destroyed on freezing – and all of our foods are frozen.  You can however add this as a supplement, and this is something we hope to be looking in to in the not too distant future."

Ummmm now the food from Food4Cats was frozen and I was under the impression from everything it said on their website that it was suitable to be fed as is so I never added anything to it. Little bit concerned now that I should have been adding taurine to it.

Some taurine is destroyed through freezing but not all - I can't remember the percentage destroyed, I'll see if I can find the info about it it, I've got it somewhere. So as long as you feed a variety of muscle meats, including hearts, (both of which contain high quantitites of taurine) there is no need to add taurine, I don't add any supplements to the recipe I use (although Sam has extra taurine added to all his meals, raw or otherwise - as a supplmenent to help his heart)

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2010, 12:42:52 PM »
I have just had a reply from Natural Instincts saying:

"Unfortunately taurine which is essential for a cat’s diet is destroyed on freezing – and all of our foods are frozen.  You can however add this as a supplement, and this is something we hope to be looking in to in the not too distant future."

Ummmm now the food from Food4Cats was frozen and I was under the impression from everything it said on their website that it was suitable to be fed as is so I never added anything to it. Little bit concerned now that I should have been adding taurine to it.
Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2010, 18:37:01 PM »
Well mine all eat different amounts - but, I work on around 200g per cat per day at two meals, am and pm - so 100g per meal,  (then mine have another small amount at bedtime  ;) )

I even resorted to making my own again yesterday (until I can get an asnwer from Darlings about the 20kg min order) - I'd forgotten what hard work it is  :tired: (when you havent got an electric mincer  ;) ) I've got an old mechanical meat mincer, you know, the old fashioned ones with the handle? I ache all over today and that was just grinding 10 chicken wings.

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2010, 18:29:24 PM »
thanks for that Gillian.     Will give them a ring tomorrow to see.      How long does a kg last a cat?     Not being familiar with raw feeding I'm  just trying to get an idea as to how long 20kg would last.     I've got a spare freezer so storage wouldn't be a problem.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2010, 18:20:14 PM »
I am considering getting my lot introduced to raw food.     I'm a squeemish vegetarian though so would like it ready prepared.    Whats in the sample pack from Darlings and how much is it?   

My sample pack contained 3 lamb, 3 beef and 3 chicken. Mine was complementary due to a mix up with emails so I'm not sure how much it would have been.

http://www.naturalinstinct.com/ were featured on crufts, not sure if they are any good?

Looks pretty good, it wouldnt take much to make it suitable for cats really - whip out the veggies, add some more organs, adjust the bone content and bob's yer uncle!  ;) I see vet Nick Thompson is involved - he's my friend's vet  :)

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2010, 16:30:23 PM »
I am considering getting my lot introduced to raw food.     I'm a squeemish vegetarian though so would like it ready prepared.    Whats in the sample pack from Darlings and how much is it?   

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 19:37:22 PM »
I have just dropped Natural Instinct an email asking whether any of their foods are suitable for cats and kittens and if not whether they plan to do cat versions now Food4Cats has closed down and we are all stuck for suppliers of raw food in sensible quantities (NI have a 10kg minimum order). I'll let you know when I get a reply

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2010, 19:22:43 PM »
If they have any business sense they will grab as many of food4 cat clients by slashing the 20kg limit, they are plain mad if not! 20kg is ok if you are feeding a great dane  :shocked:

http://www.naturalinstinct.com/ were featured on crufts, not sure if they are any good?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 19:24:24 PM by Millys Mum »

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 20:27:34 PM »
Someone on MSE is also trying Darlings, I mentioned you were impressed Gillian;) I am afraid I am exploring other avenues, I'd love to feed free range raw but not whilst the state expects me to live on £64 a week! Also can't store 20kg and Noah doesn't like lamb so the sample won't suit. I know someone who might be keen to split an order (tried to be very ethical) but he is presently temping on a low income, so don't like to ask.
Lulu's Catbook

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 18:42:30 PM »
My trial pack arrived today and it looks like very good quality but not going down too well with my fussy lot - I have opened the lamb and they are not at all interested so will try the chicken tomorrow, at least if they wont eat it I havnt wasted too much money

Isnt it funny - the lamb was the favourite with my gang! beef was next fave, followed by chicken.  :)

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 18:40:43 PM »
My trial pack arrived today and it looks like very good quality but not going down too well with my fussy lot - I have opened the lamb and they are not at all interested so will try the chicken tomorrow, at least if they wont eat it I havnt wasted too much money
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 12:24:40 PM »
I'd be interested if I had somewhere to store it but I only have 2 shelves in the freezer component of my fridge freezer!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 11:36:05 AM »
maybe if enough people ask they will think its worth cutting the amount down

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 09:43:33 AM »
I'm really disappointed that Food4 has ceased trading, I wanted to try a raw diet with my two and obviously, being relatively lazy, I wanted it to be as easy as possible!

There is no way I could fit 20kg in my freezer, James has to put his chicken dippers and fish fingers somewhere too :evillaugh: Not to mention the quite high outlay that buying 20kg entails.

Would like to be kept updated on progress of this.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 22:25:05 PM »
If they are prepared to cut down the minimum order quite a bit I'd be very interested. Food4Cats shut just after I'd ordered my sample pack so I never got to redeem my money back (I tried emailing them about redeeming it before they shut and they never bloomin replied  :()

I know, I ordered just before Food4 closed down - but didnt receive all my order. Then I heard about the shut down and thought it was unlikely I'd get the rest of the order, so didnt bother in the end (there wasnt much missing).

These are the prices I was given in an email from Vicky from Darlings (its more expensive than Food4 I reckon):
The beef is £3.90 per kg BUT providing the total order is over 20kg the additional per kilo price falls to £3.30 per kg.
 The lamb is £3.90 per kg BUT providing the total order is over 20kg the additional per kilo price falls to £3.30 per kg.
 The chicken is £4.90 per kg BUT providing the total order is over 20kg the additional per kilo price falls to £4.25 per kg

I havent had a reply to my email yet, asking about the 20kg min order and a few other questions I had.

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 21:00:28 PM »
PMSL what a sight that would be on the train Zenith  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: 

Gillian: I couldn't find prices for that company online, how do they compare with Food4Cats?

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 20:45:05 PM »
Lottie i'd say i'd send you the money and we'd go halves on a order but I dont fancy the long journey home with 10kg of meat  :rofl:

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 20:43:30 PM »
Hi Gillian - my trial pack is being delivered tomorrow and I spoke to Vicky from Darlings tonight to make payment - she was really helpful and Im hoping it goes down well.

I will have the same problem with a 20kg order and really hope they will reduce it - even 10kg would be okay.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 20:38:10 PM »
If they are prepared to cut down the minimum order quite a bit I'd be very interested. Food4Cats shut just after I'd ordered my sample pack so I never got to redeem my money back (I tried emailing them about redeeming it before they shut and they never bloomin replied  :()

It's so much less faff ordering it 'ready done' rather than having to mess around with adding powders into shop bought meat  ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 13:24:41 PM »
I'm sure firefox and Lottie both use raw bet they will be!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 13:22:45 PM »
Hmmm...looks like I'm talking to myself here - no-one interested then?

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 22:34:17 PM »
I am contacting the company to see if they would review the 20kg min order, plus giving them some feedback about how it went down with my lot. I'll definitely be ordering some more, as long as I don't have to order that amount at once!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
Raw feeding - new supplier
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 00:20:08 AM »
Following the demise of Food4Cats, supplier of ready prepared raw meat diets, I thought any raw feeders might be interested in this supplier http://www.darlingsrealdogfood.com/ - yep, I know it says real dog food - but I contacted them after Food4Cats closed, and asked about cat food. They are in the process of providing cat food too, but already had some recipes made up suitable for cats - so I had a taster pack (I'm really pleased - this company is not far from me - and the packing facility is actually here in town - so I can pick up from there, rather than paying delivery charge, which is great!).

Anyway, my lot loved the 3 varieties - beef, chicken and lamb (especially the lamb  :) ) - they seemed to like it even more than the Food4 varieties. Only downside from my point of view anyway - is the minimum order of 20kg  :shocked: - I've got the space because I've got a chest freezer in the garage specifically for the cats food - but wouldnt normally shell out that much all in one go!! but I must say, it does seem to be very high quality meat,  sourced locally etc.

Link to CatChat