Author Topic: Cat Flaps?  (Read 1464 times)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Re: Cat Flaps?
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 22:33:58 PM »
ah i see pete, yes i was forgetting about peeps having enclosed gardens ... its nice when they can come and go but still be safe  ;D

our enclosure was delapitated and not escape proof anymore (seb never misses an opportunity >:( ) so our boys have had no outdoor access since end of last year (except sebs latest escape mission where he was out all night  >:( )  He has been going up the walls with no run but unfortunately ive been having to wait until hubby gets the time to build the new one...of course then we get water pump etc disasters etc that takes priority as you can imagine so this new run is taking ages but should be too much longer  ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 19:50:21 PM »
It is possible Debbie but you would need a glazier to cut the hole and fit it and it may require a new panel of glass. You have to get the right flap to do the job and obviously get that first  ;D

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
  • Sam - missing since 29th August 2007 xx
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 19:11:53 PM »
Just out of interest, is it possible to have a cat flap in a glass patio door or is it totally out of the question?

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 19:04:59 PM »
Thanks folks.

Hi Gill,

Thanks.

Hi Nick,
That looks pretty impressive. Where did you find it and do you know anyone who has had one fitted. If so, are they happy?

Hi Lynn,
Our cats are inside all day but are let out into an area of the garden which has wire mesh across it giving them about 25 square yards to run round in. They are only let out when we are there. We need to get a new back door fitted and thought that a cat flap would be useful knowing that they are safe unless someone breaks into the garden and removes the wire fencing. It is still our wish to completely enclose the garden especially with the nutter next door who doesn't give a hoot what chemicals he uses in the garden. It is not an easy garden to enclose due to layout of trees and shrubs, etc
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 07:42:06 AM »
this is the biggest I have seen. Its expensive at about£100  but it is fully electronic and you can program only your cats to come in or out. It works by reading the unique code in your cat's microchip .so no collars and magnets necessary .  ;)
http://www.petporte.com/

I am hoping to post a review this w/e but got to rush to work now  :tired:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 17:38:03 PM »
Catmate have a good selection  ;D

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 11:38:15 AM »
i can only suggest googling cat flaps pete and using googles froogle aswell.

I thought your cats were indoors only though, unless you have the same set up as me where they use the catflap to get into their run enclosure.

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
Cat Flaps?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 11:27:56 AM »
I know that this has been done to death on Cat Chat and probably a few threads on here which I can't readily locate.

Can anyone recommend &/or link me to a reputable manufacturer's website.

We are going to have a new kitchen door installed - 75% glass and 25% UPVC panel. We need a good quality cat flap (non magnetic) with good locking controls. I know of Staywell but are there any others than people can recommend.

It needs to be quite robust and reasonably large because of Barney (our largest guy). His picture has been added to the gallery.

Any help/tips appreciated.  :help:
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Link to CatChat