Author Topic: Cats and chinchillas? Anyone have exp?  (Read 1465 times)

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
Re: Cats and chinchillas? Anyone have exp?
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 10:55:12 AM »
Thanks guys- we're certainly not rushing into things. We're even talking about waitinga few years as our circumstances are likely to chance a lot in the next few years so we want to make sure we don't take on too much. Thanks for your help though- it's interesting to see people's pov :)

Offline harlequin

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 20:33:36 PM »
My cats are afraid of my chinchillas. The chins live in the spare bedroom though so the cats don't have many dealings with them. I wouldn't keep chins in any "lived in" areas of the house, like living rooms or kids' bedrooms as they need about 12 hours sleep and do so during the day. Chins can live for about 20 years and take a lot of looking after, so you're doing the right thing by putting a lot of thought into having a pair before you take the plunge. Hope this helps. :)

Offline zoe (tiggy + pipins mum)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 18:59:04 PM »
I had a chinchila at my mums when i still lived at home she had 6 cats at the time after the initial 'whats that moving in there' they were not bothered, fred (he came with that name :rofl:) was really friendly i used to let him sit beside me on my bed :) and no he didn't smell at all x 

Offline angel-77

• Senior Cat
  • Tia & Oscar
  • Slave to: Tia (Tee'bo) & Oscar (Oscardoodles)
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 18:58:14 PM »
Google cats and chinchillas

there is alot of info on there

my mate had 2 when we were young, she didnt keep them long, there were hard work!!

and they need a very large cage.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 18:35:46 PM »
I don't know anything about them, but we were doing "small animal handling" last week and he said they are quite bitey - so I don't know if that would cause issues with the cats. I think someone said they smelled as well. I handled a ferret and a rat but decided to pass on the chinchilla. I thought they looked like grumpy elves  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
Cats and chinchillas? Anyone have exp?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 17:54:44 PM »
OH and I are considering rehoming a pair of chinchillas (only considering at this point). We have looked into the ins and outs of the keeping of chins but wondered if anyone had any experience of what cats are like with them? My feeling is that they are a bit big to be considered prey to my lot as they are frigtened of netherland dwarf bunnies but wondered if other had any experience as we wouldn't want the chins to have a rubbish life if the cats were constantly stalking their cage. I am assuming the cats would get used to them and the initial novalty would wear off but would be interested in views. Thanks chaps :)

Link to CatChat