Author Topic: Just joined... looking for a kitten  (Read 4619 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Just joined... looking for a kitten
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2007, 19:23:31 PM »
Chilli and Chips look great  ;D

Offline Gemma H (Akandra)

• Adult Cat
  • Hestia & Bacardi
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2007, 18:54:56 PM »
Can I just say - Cheltenham CP - Chilli and Chips - they are gorgeous and only 6 months old so still very kittenish.

http://www.catsprotection.net/Cats%20Available.htm

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2007, 15:39:44 PM »
heres a list from catchat pages of rescues in your area

http://www.catchat.org/adoption/glos.html

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2007, 15:37:19 PM »
Hi and  :welcome: to Purrs.

I can't add much to what's already been said except to agree that maybe an older kitten or cat would be best, or at least 2 kittens to keep each other company when you're out.  There are lots of adult cats desperately needing a home and kittens grow up into cats very quickly.  As someone said earlier, kittens can be hard work so be prepared for that if you do go for kittens.  I got a new kitten last April and I've not slept through the night since as the little monster insists that the day starts at 5am or earlier  8)

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 15:32:37 PM »
Hi

You sounded alot like me and my Hubby about 3 months ago, we really wanted a kitten or a young cat and at first I didn't want a rescue moggy as I wanted to know the history (I work for a dog charity so am fully aware of what can happen) also I was attacked by my ex boyfriends cat and that really frightened me and made me quite nervous.

But then the rescue I was in touch with told me about Jess, at the time he was 8 months old and VERY nervous (which in turn made me VERY nervous and I didn't want a nervous cat), but an indoor moggy which was what we wanted, we went along and met Jess and we got on so so well I feel in love with him straight away, he wasn't nervous around us at all and he head butted me straight away. 3 days later he arrived at our house.

What worried us was when we got Jess all our new furniture arrived about a week later, and we didn't want it destroyed but apart from a couple of scratches to the sofa and bashing the blinds he is indeed a very good cat.

Anyway we are out of the house 10/11 hours a day and Jess is fine, we are thinking about getting him a friend but we have to find the right cat to get on with him. Anyway the moral of my story is take time out to find the right cat and make sure you are fully aware of what you are getting into especally with kittens, I love Jess to bits and to be honest I can't believe how much he means to me and how much I love him, I can imagine what our house was like before he arrived.

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
  • My first rescues Chas and Dave!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 15:17:52 PM »
I now have 2 cats - Archie 13months and Poppy 2yrs, and they barely bother with us humans anymore! They come in, eat, curl up together, have a play fight, stand at the door wanting to go out and occasionally come for a cuddle - they are more happy in each others company. poppy has only been with us 4 months too so they adjust pretty quickly. 2 may very well be the way forward - insurance is around £12 a month with M&S which is pretty good and food doesn't cost too much more for 2
Only The Educated Are Free

www.catactiontrust1977.co.uk

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 15:16:17 PM »
Oooh how exciting ....new kitty or kitties, I'd love another but my spoilt boy would probably sulk! Congratulations on deciding to give a home to a kitty, as everyone else has already said there are good arguments for both kittens and older cats, I wouldn't worry about bonding in fact with a slightly older cat you already can see temperamentand know if he/she is a cat who loves to fuss and be near you constantly or one that is more self contained and aloof ;) For first timers it's probably easier to home a slightly older cat but I can totally understand the idea of bringing home a new litle kitten, again, if out at work all day it's only fair to have two so they are not lonely. Also for weekends away slightly older cats are more self sufficient, although I have to say i can't bear to go away and leave my cat, we go away once or twice a year now!! Asking questions is definitely the best thing you can do and then just go and look at the shelters, I'm a complete believer in 'knowing' when you have just met your cat (or cats).

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 14:25:11 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs

I would definitely go for two cats/kittens if you can afford it.  Two will actually be less work as they will entertain each other as cats can be quite demanding of your attention.  Maybe you could email all the rescues on the link that Sam provided explaining your circumstances and seeing if they have any suitable furries for you.

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 14:22:47 PM »
We had our Lirael (trouble on 4 paws) for 2 years before bringing another cat in, and it’s helped a lot.

Having 2 keeps them from causing havoc to get attention all the time, instead they have someone to play with.

You’ll have a litter box, food & water already there. So 2 won’t make more difference than 1.

Plus it’s easier than if you decide later as it takes time for cats to get used to each other, so if you start with two you’ll miss the hissing, spitting etc that goes on when introducing a new cat.

Offline Snow-Munki

• Kitten
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 14:13:27 PM »
thanks again very much for all the helpful replies.

I'm in Cheltenham / Gloucestershire btw.

I called one shelter and they refused to give me a cat b/c I'm not home enough, explained that the house would most likely be empty from 9 - 5. She said I would need 2 cats in that case.

Called another and am on the 'waiting list' so fingers crossed. Just worries 2 might be a bit too much to take on as a first cat.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 13:54:52 PM »
there isnt anything wrong with wanting  kitten (s) but all the reason for older ones are true, and cats under a year or 2 of age are still very playful in nature normally anyway.  I have 2 cats who were both adults and outdoor cats before i took them and made them indoor cats, on the most of it they are happy. (they have an outdoor run aswell which is what keeps one happy, the other is perfectely happy to not see outdoors)

i then got a kitten last year, he was aged 4 1/2 months and has had a few things that have been troublesome ie he is quite territorial and pee'd often in a few places (thankfully seems to be getting very rare for him to do that now) he's also active through the night which as led to him being shut in the kitchen, he's noiser and more attention seeking LOL actually he's almost as hard work as my toddler  :rofl: but then he's far more interactive and fun than my older boys ever were and one of them was around 2 years old when i took him on. (hes also a pedigree so might be abit more extrovert than your average domestic anyway but some moggies are like that too)

i think you have to write down all your reasons for getting a cat/2 cats.  it does seem like you should have 2 due to your working hours, then write down all the pros and cons including vets  bills and yearly injections , cattery fee's etc of having 2 and decide from there.

where about are you based ?? you never know you might go out looking for kittens and 2 older ones will just melt your heart.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 13:35:34 PM »
I perhaps should have mentioned that everytime I take a kitten into rescue it is a timely reminder of why I prefer older cats. I would also say that some people say they want a kitten or a young cat because it will live longer. All I would say to that is kittens and young cats we have homed during the last couple of years are now sadly at Rainbow Bridge yet a 12 year old I homed 9 years ago is still alive and well.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 13:17:50 PM »
Your work collegue isn't that right really - kittens might bond, but you could have months, if not years of sleepness nights, wrecking your house etc before they calm down!! The majority of my permanent cats have been aged 10+ and have bonded with no probs - one of my current ones insists on sleeping under the duvet with me, she was 13 when I Adopted her, and she isn't the only one who has done that - when I had a weekend away last year, she complained to my friend everytime she went round to feed her (she is that kind of cat, whinges at anything she doesn't like you doing to her!!), so certainly 'my' cat. The majority of my oldies haven't bothered that much with the outside world - 10 mins a day is quite sufficient for them, and Molly prefers to sunbathe in teh house during the summer!! And it doesn't always matter about their history, as Ela says, a lot of cats are just grateful for that second chance. So, my advice really would be to go to your local rescue, explain your working and holiday habits, and see what they have in that would be suitable, you might be surprised at what you fall in love with, and adults are a lot more suited to people working 9-5, they are more content to be left without being destructive!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 12:53:35 PM »
1.)it will bond to you
2.)not be so aware of the outside world so if it is kept indoors a lot it won't mind so much ?
3.) know their history as not sure what a cat has been through ???

Forgot to say  :welcome: Many cats will bond, and are thankful for a second chance. When you get a kitten it can be the sweetest thing on 4 legs , but its true temperament often comes out later.

Most rescues have cats that they would be happy to home as indoor cats. e.g FIV 3 legs, white, deaf, blind.

The history of some cats is known but others only the history of abuse, but does it really matter.

If you have not had a cat before perhaps you will care to visit my site address for information on many topics of cat ownership.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 12:54:48 PM by Ela »

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 12:50:49 PM »
Hi and Welcomer to Purrs.

You have definatley come to the right place for help and advice on kitties  ;)

Have you had a look at the catchat site for resuces in your area http://www.catchat.org/adoption/glos.html
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 12:53:34 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Snow-Munki

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 12:41:31 PM »
Thanks very much for all the advice. 1 year old cat does seem more sensible as guess it will be litter trained and all that aswell. However a work collegue said a kitten might be better b/c:

1.)it will bond to you
2.)not be so aware of the outside world so if it is kept indoors a lot it won't mind so much ?
3.) know their history as not sure what a cat has been through ???

feel free to correct me, still very new to all this, never had a cat ever before.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 12:28:48 PM »
I would agree with the advice given, a  little older and perhaps 2. Most rescues would not home a single kitten  where people are out all day in any case.

Kittens are available all year, the trouble is that between Dec and May everyone wants them so people who allow their cats to have kittens can usually find there own so called good homes (the fact that many end up in rescue later is not a consideration). Nearer Summer  not so many people want kittens so that is when rescues are inundated with pregnant mums and kittens from people who cannot find homes for their cats kittens.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 12:16:45 PM »
 :welcome:

Most would advise if you are out for long periods of time you should definately have 2 so they have each other as company.

as for the weekends away, how many nights ? if it is just the one night then many people use a timed automatic feeder which works great normally but if it was for 2 nights etc you'd probably need to either get someone to come over to see to them or pop them into a cattery for the weekend.

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
  • My first rescues Chas and Dave!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 12:05:35 PM »
Hi and  :welcome:

My only advice would be that you really need to go for an older kitten possibly upto 12months old? Working full time and having the odd weekend away means the kitten will miss out on a lot of human contact - younger kittens need to be shown how to do things and you not being there most of the day means you won't be there to teach it.

An older kitten will be abit more acclimatised to being left alone for periods of time.

Good luck in finding your new furbaby!
Only The Educated Are Free

www.catactiontrust1977.co.uk

Offline Snow-Munki

• Kitten
Just joined... looking for a kitten
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 11:13:11 AM »
Hi,

Just joined up as my g/f and myself are looking for a kitten(s) but don't really know where to start and was reccomended to come here. Live in the Cheltenham ( glouecstershire ) area if that's any help. Only issue I can think of is that we both work aa normal 9 - 5 job and sometime ( once a month or less ) go away for weekends...

Any pointers, called my local catery place and they said they don't have any kittens and they don't normally come in til around may ish time.

Link to CatChat