Author Topic: Detailed Easter Lily warning  (Read 3010 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: Detailed Easter Lily warning
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 09:05:03 AM »
I love freesias too Ela so I guess I'll change to them

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 08:43:28 AM »
some daffodils i put them in a vase on the window and mango went to lick the yellow thing in the middle
sre these poisoniouse

Report to moderator    Logged 

There are numerous lists of plants and lists of the parts of plants that are poisonings to cats, her is just one of them http://www.cfainc.org/articles/plants.html.

I know many of them it is just a certain part of the flower that is poisonous but bare in mind a part of the poisonous part could have come into contact with the rest of the flower and spared its poison.

I am so pleased that my favourite flower Freesia (especially the apricot one) is not on the list (that list anyway).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 13:42:40 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 08:03:06 AM »
Rosella, there are sites that tell you what parts of lillies are dangerous, cos I think it depends on which kind you have.
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 22:36:17 PM »
I thought that too Cosmic. I buy oriental lillies and make sure I remove the pollen stuff as soon as they open. Should I chuck them all out?  :(

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 22:24:52 PM »
i knew about the lillys but thought it was the pollen in the yellow thing in the middle
i panicked the other day cayse my 4 yr old picked  me some daffodils i put them in a vase on the window and mango went to lick the yellow thing in the middle
sre these poisoniouse

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 22:18:40 PM »
Sorry to hear about Toffee

I only found out recently myself. I think all Lilys should have warnings. This came by email from Sharon at Canterbury CP' I love Lilys but can't risk it as one of mine eats plant leaves instead of grass
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Purrlishious

• Distinguished Cat
  • Poppy Ruby Dolly
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 21:53:13 PM »
I lost my beautiful little Toffee @ only 18 months old last November from ingesting a lily leaf.

I hope your post Mark reminds people of how dangerous these plants can be.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Detailed Easter Lily warning
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 08:37:12 AM »
Email Sharon from Canterbury CP  - I know there was a Lily warning the other day but hopefully more people will see this. Also symptoms to watch out for. Early treatment is essential.

Easter Lily Hazard For Cats
As spring approaches, lilies will become more common in households as potted plants or in bouquets. Unfortunately, several types of lilies can be deadly to cats. Easter lily, tiger lily, rubrum lily, Japanese show lily, some species of day lily, and certain other members of the Liliaceae family can cause kidney failure in cats.

Within only a few hours of ingestion of the lily plant material, the cat may vomit, become lethargic, or develop a lack of appetite. These signs continue and worsen as kidney damage progresses. Without prompt and proper treatment by a veterinarian, the cat may develop kidney failure

All parts of the lily plant are considered toxic to cats and consuming even small amounts can cause severe poisoning. Cat owners should be aware of the dangers of lily ingestion and remove them from their cat's access.

Lilies that have been shown to cause kidney failure in cats include:

Note: This list is not all inclusive.

common name   scientific name                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Easter Lily     Lilium Longiflorum
Tiger Lily         Lilium Tigrinum
Rubrum Lily   Lilium Speciosum
Japanese Show Lily   Lilium Lancifolium
Day Lily          Hemerocallis Species

Lily family

Toxicity rating: HIGH

Animals affected: The only reported toxicity is in cats.

Dangerous parts of plant: Leaves primarily, stems and flowers may also be toxic.

Class of signs: Gastrointestinal irritation (vomiting), depression, lack of appetite.

Signs: Upon consumption of Easter lily (the exact amount is unknown), the cats begin to vomit within an hour or so. The cat then becomes depressed over the next half day, presumably as the toxin begins to affect the kidneys. Within 48 to 96 hours after consumption, the cat will tend to show signs of clinical kidney failure: increased urination, depression, stomach upset, dehydration. Death tends to occur within 5 days.

First Aid: If a cat is seen eating Easter lily, contact a veterinarian immediately. If emergency treatment is begun within 6 hours of consumption, the chance are good that the cat will recover. This generally consists of emptying the gastrointestinal tract of the affected cat and intravenous fluid therapy in a hospital setting. If more than 18 hours has elapsed, the cat may not survive, even with emergency care.

Prevention: Easter lily is a popular plant at certain times of the year, and extra caution must be used when bringing these plants into the house where cats can get at them. Make sure the plant is kept away from cats, especially ones that like to nibble on things. If nibbling plants is unavoidable, have a selection of safe plants available (grass or catnip are two possibilities
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 08:39:28 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Link to CatChat