Author Topic: Urgent-please help-I rescued cat who just had kittens and I need tips  (Read 3703 times)

Offline DolceNGabanna

• Adult Cat
Re: Urgent-please help-I rescued cat who just had kittens and I need tips
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2010, 20:20:28 PM »
Didnt have time to shrink the pics!

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2010, 20:04:54 PM »
I am so glad these gorgeous kitties are in Mexico ;D
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2010, 19:25:48 PM »
Thet are loooking great  ;D

Agree they grow almost before eyes cos we have two litters on a live cam at present one lot were born during the night  ;D

Offline DolceNGabanna

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2010, 19:20:05 PM »
They grow so fast..

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2010, 11:08:07 AM »
Oooo! Well done for helping these guys - they're gorgeous.  :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2010, 10:55:14 AM »
Oooo is that a dilute torti in there?  :Luv2:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2010, 09:52:10 AM »
 :Luv2:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2010, 22:29:00 PM »
OMG are they not just the sweetest little things you've ever seen. Soooooo pretty  :Luv2: :Luv2:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline DolceNGabanna

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 22:27:33 PM »
Everyone is doing well at our home of 10! here is the first pic I promised:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat

Offline DolceNGabanna

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2010, 04:22:39 AM »
Pics coming soon!!!!

Offline DolceNGabanna

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2010, 04:22:05 AM »
Millys mum thanks for the link, very useful!

I replied to you in a another thread but just in case here goes my update, too :

I am happy to report they are well, and Mom is gaining weight!

I took them to a new vet. They checked all of them, recommended Diamond kitten food for the mom, vitamins + nutriplus. She was thin... that was on Tuesday...

Today I went for followup and I'm glad to report Mom gained weight even with the kittens demanding more milk... they are 3 weeks now. Mom gained 200grams so they congratulated me, the grandmom :) now they told me I needed to get more in touch with them, put them close to me... mom never had issues about someone getting close to the kittens so she is also very friendly and usually sits on my lap. I brush her and tell her she is a good Mom and great cat.I like it that she drinks lots of water.. I should be doing the same... my boyfriend and me are happy to spend time socializing with them..

Dolce and Gabanna my own cats are not happy about it, but I try to cuddle more with each of them and give them treats.. I keep them separated from our visitors all the time.

That vet clinic is also a shelter and I didn't know it .. well more like an animal protection fund, and I met the founder there... he gave me a discount on the vitamins and said he would give me more discounts if I neutered all the cats and could help looking for good owners, put pictures on their webpages etc.

I am happy and feel more attached to the kittens :( the cat is named Trixy and I am planning on naming the others tomorrow... now that I know who is male and who female...

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 20:34:22 PM »
As a new foster mum i'd be inclined to say take them all, that way any probs can hopefully be picked up quicker.
Are you weighing them? Thats a very easy way of monitoring them, if one isnt gaining as much then supplemental feeds can then be given. If mum is short of milk then its something to watch closely.

http://www.fabcats.org/breeders/index.php theres a kitten section on this page

Good luck with them  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 18:13:56 PM »
Good luck tomorrow  :hug:

Offline DolceNGabanna

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 17:27:17 PM »
Thanks Gill!!

Well I guess the best is to take the mom to the vet then follow their instructions. Yesterday mom was very very thin :(

The good thing is that tomorrow is pay day so I will be able to take it to a vet and perhaps also the little ones. I will call before going and see if I need to take the small ones with me or just to check the mom.... my cat Dolce got an infection as there are several unhealthy animals over there obviously as its an hospital, so I'd rather be very smart and make my moves wisely.

Meanwhile I will be reading the literature... I appreciate this forum and everyone here you are very kind.

Hugs!!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 00:19:18 AM »
Bumping this up to see if someone can answer your questions  :hug:

Offline DolceNGabanna

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 18:58:00 PM »
Oh I also felt a little squeamish but I put an egg on some wet food and the cat was very very hungry and devoured it.. thanks for the tip!
Oh my so many questions..

Offline DolceNGabanna

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 18:56:25 PM »
Well I talked to the shelter lady and she can't have pets anymore due to health issues. (she is 62)
So I will keep the cat and kitties for 2 months  :Crazy:
My BF accepted and now  I am stalking the ones who were interested so perhaps we can make a reunion and ask for a few bucks for entrance so I can buy sand and food... hope the others chip in...
And now I got several questions

Is it really bad if I separate the mom from the kitties to get her checked by a vet now that I am keeping it for a while?
I know kitties have a good chance to be adopted because they are cute at 3-4 months.. but what about the mom? how much time do you "advertise" an older cat? would it be cruel to put the mom to sleep if no one is interested and I can't keep it? also, is it cruel to give just one cat? I know its better to give them two by two but here people are very limited with money. Although if I am the one running this "improptu D&G shelter" I would spay every kitten, give them the vaccine shots for everything and give them away in pairs only (2 kitties, 2 kitties, then 1 kittie and the mom)

That would be the ideal for me.....

Oh well I am off to buy another litterbox and food and clean up..... thanks for your help along the way...

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 01:51:28 AM »

You mention egg.. just like that? shall I just put an egg on a plate?? shall I take it away after a certain time?? unfortunately I'm pseudo vegetarian so I don't have any meat. But I got whiskas wet food and royal canin dry food (theres no wellness, newmans own, evo etc. good brands here in mexico :( ).

I will keep my 2 cats separated at all times from the temporary family. This is just for one or 2 days... Mom wont go back to the streets, a lady I know that runs a shelter will spay her then look for a home for her .. (I will also help with that!! and to find homes for the little ones) and yes I hope we can also get homes where they accept 2 so they can play, groom etc...  meanwhile while they are on the shelter I plan on visiting them often :)

Don't worry too much about what you are feeding, those brands are good and contain all the nutrients mum and kittens need.  :hug: The most important thing is that mum can now rely on regular meals, she has shelter, no predators or children teasing her, someone to give her veterinary care if an emergency happens. It will be much less stressful for mum being in your home or in the shelter than on the streets.  :)
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 00:25:16 AM »
She is in Mexico BC  ;D We are international Purrs now  ;D

I hope all is going well with the little family today and it will be great when they get to the shelter, thank yopu for saving them  :hug:

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 22:55:01 PM »
Good luck!!  :hug:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 18:09:36 PM »
how are mum and kittens doing today?
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 10:02:55 AM »
Well done for helping this girl - I bet she's glad she's "found" you. I don't have any advice because I've never had a mothering cat share my home (managed to escape that one....) but I just wanted to say good luck. It sounds like you're doing fine. :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 08:41:21 AM »
Hiya, I am guessing you are in the States then. We are a 24 hour service here, lol, as I live in Australia. Teresa is the leading expert on young kittens as she too runs a rescue so follow here advice before mine (I am a bit rusty on the subject). But as for the egg: just beat it so it is all together, then give her half. A whole egg would be a bit much for a wee girl. Mix it into the canned food you give her as a substitute for raw mince.

Offline DolceNGabanna

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 08:33:04 AM »
Hello again! thank you, thank you very much for replying so fast. Here its 2 AM and I am feeling anxious.

Just brushing? ok. Does that go for cats in general? my 2 cats get their paws very dirty and as I love to sleep with them I usually clean their paws with that mousse that is supposedly for pets and leaves them very clean without the shock of water....

Back to the topic, the mom's tail/back legs look very very dirty that is why I was not sure of what to do...

I am going to cut one side of the box because it is tall and yes the mom has been jumping in, thank you for the suggestion.

No cows milk, check

You mention egg.. just like that? shall I just put an egg on a plate?? shall I take it away after a certain time?? unfortunately I'm pseudo vegetarian so I don't have any meat. But I got whiskas wet food and royal canin dry food (theres no wellness, newmans own, evo etc. good brands here in mexico :( ).

I will keep my 2 cats separated at all times from the temporary family. This is just for one or 2 days... Mom wont go back to the streets, a lady I know that runs a shelter will spay her then look for a home for her .. (I will also help with that!! and to find homes for the little ones) and yes I hope we can also get homes where they accept 2 so they can play, groom etc...  meanwhile while they are on the shelter I plan on visiting them often :)

Brb I will check on them.....

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 07:48:34 AM »
Hi Sandra
Well done on helping this little family. Sounds like you have most things in hand, but a couple of observations from what you have written:

Whatever you do dont put anything on mum cats coat to clean her, brushing is sufficient.
You say kittens are in a box, make sure that one side is low enough for mum to see in when she is outside so that she doesnt jump in and land on babies.
Mum cat is best fed on kitten food and plenty of it as with most cats No cows milk.
If you pick up each kitten twice a day you will get used to feeling them with full tummy and know quickly if one stops feeding, also at this time check mum is cleaning them properly (bottoms)
There is no need to rush them to a vet on a Sunday if all appear healthy, when you do take them take all together but keep carrier covered at vets to avoid people and other pets nosing and passing on germs.
Sounds like mother cat is comfortable and stress free with you, but please be aware that sometimes mumcat moves her babies so tread very carefully.
Good Luck.

modified to add that I am sure the rescue will take care of flea and worm treatment tomorrow.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 07:52:19 AM by Teresa Pawcats »

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 07:03:31 AM »
Hi Sandra - good on you for aiding this lady in distress. You seem to be well on track with the accommodation side of things. You may want to mix up a special feed for this girl to give her a bit of strength after her ordeal. We used to use a mix of egg, mincemeat and a couple of drops of Pentavite (a children's multivitamin) in the food.

A trip to the vets is always a good idea if you have not actually witnessed the birth, but since she is still with you (and apparently healthy) three days after the event, then it is probably not as urgent as it might have been. Keep an eye on her for changed behaviour (lethargy etc) and get her to the vet quick smart if you notice that, or a discharge from under her tail (which might indicate an infection).

Do make sure you get her neutered before she goes back on the streets and ensure the kittens are at least 8 weeks old (preferably older) before they are homed.

Cleaning-wise, she will clean herself and her kittens once she feels at ease in her new environment, though you may want to check with the vet about possible flea treatments if you see signs of them. Don't want your cat coming down with something nasty.

On that subject, keep your cat out of the room with the mother and her babies. Two reasons. One it will distress the mother cat, the other, more important one being, it will provide a quarantine arrangement so any street diseases she may carry can not be passed onto your baby.

Photos are of course obligatory.

Offline DolceNGabanna

• Adult Cat
Urgent-please help-I rescued cat who just had kittens and I need tips
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 06:51:05 AM »
Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this!
Today I got a call from a friend. A coworker found out a stray cat just had 5 kittens abt 3 days old, haven't opened their eyes yet. He mentions this cat is always having kitties  :( well I called the lady where I got Gabanna from, and she will receive them on Monday because tomorrow she will be out!!

So today, 10 sleep at my home.

My problem is that I don't know the basics!! I put water, food and sand and the kittens are in a box. I also put my cage with a cushion inside in case she wants to rest there. In fact when I approached the place she went out to meet me, very friendly!

She is dirty. Shall I groom her? clean her (I got one of those dry cleaning foaming things)? shall I take it to the vet? is it ok if she is separated from the kittens for a couple of hours? shall I take ALL of them there? shall I trim her nails? I put a little nutri-plus vitamins on the food because the instructions say its good for cats that are feeding kittens.

I will ask the vet how much it is to take a look as I got no money at the moment but I'm one of those people who'd rather not eat for a week than seeing any animal under my roof suffer!!
Any advice is welcome.. I will surf the net but I trust you guys more
Thank you

Sandra
PS I'll take pics!!

Link to CatChat