Author Topic: Cats and wet paint  (Read 2607 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Cats and wet paint
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2007, 00:53:27 AM »
Wonderful witty  :rofl: :rofl:

I have set up my spare bedroom as my studio cos its only place there are no cats and therefore almost no fur!

Havent started getting back to oil yet but acrylic approaches and water color not too big a problem. Often get to my class and somehow a piece of fur appears on a pad , a brush, paint but on4e small piece comes off when paint dries with out prob, will not be the same for oil and acrylic though.

Maybe I should have furry style  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2007, 22:49:01 PM »
You guys don't need to say...

I was once painting a lanscape in oils. It was getting close to lunchtime and Toby wanted food, but I wanted to finish the bit I was doing. OK, I ignored him at my peril, and so to empasize his point, he jumped up and sat on my paint palette right in the middle of a large patch of green paint.

So I now had a green-pointed black cat; his mum and feet were all bright bloomin' green!!!

Of course as soon as I yelled at him he jumped down and ran across the floor before I could grab him, leaving a trail of green pawprints on my wooden floor. It took years for the prints to fade out.

My concern was to catch him before he started grooming himself because oil paint is pretty nasty stuff. I did just about manage that, and he was immediately subjected to the indignity of a rapid and thorough bath.

Needless to say, I now don't ignore his requests for food when I am painting!  :rofl:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 18:21:55 PM »
Mmmmm have you seen rosellas thread in general "am i crazy" read through that and find the answer to that last problem  :rofl: :rofl:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 16:40:48 PM »
Not simple I think  :rofl:

I already have the paint, specially mixed and not quick drying, I like nice gloss doors. Door prob too heavy for me to take off and hump down stairs and then up again and outside is farrrrrrr too windy to do nice glosss doors.

Locking mt 4 in one room, you gotta be joking  :rofl:, they are used to having run of house and garden and i never can lock Sasa in at all and Misa hates the birmans.

I will eventually find a solution and suspect it will be something like blocking off bathroom, but then that has ummmmmmmmmm problem  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 16:19:11 PM »
simple gill either shut them in one room whilst you do it and it drys (quick drying stuff nowadays is great) OR take the door off the hinges and take it outside to do  :evillaugh:

(talking of removing door from hinges, when my brother was around about 11 his bike got banned and locked in garden shed, the little git waited till mum and dad was somewhere or other and removed shed door, got bike out then replaced shed door..the only way my parents found out was because dad noticed the door was about 3 inches dropped from the position it should have been in  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 16:13:03 PM »
I want to paint my bathroom door.......thats where the birmans tray id and misa like to sneak up stairs and stand up on back legs and puch with front ones! noooooooooo idea how I am going to do it and get it dry, or any of the all the rest of house that needs decorating  :rofl:

Offline Duncan and Findlay

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 13:32:15 PM »
What is it with cats and paint? Deb was doing a spot of painting in the bathroom and Findlay just wouldn't leave her alone. He eventually got paws on a part, and the stickyness of it made him dart off and ran all the way up to the top of the stairs. Deb tried to wash his paws, but he didn't get much on it. He did get some on his fur, which she had to trim with a pair of scissors!  :evillaugh:
You don't choose a cat, the cat chooses you.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 13:13:35 PM »
not as bad nowadays as they are lead free but its certainly not something you'd want them to ingest, abit of emulsion on their hair etc wont harm them but in the even it happens wash off with warm water and fairly liquid asap.  as for glossy stuff, well just dont let the cat get near it  :rofl:

you get quick drying stuff these days so you can still decorate but shut jess in a separate room with his litter tray etc..he might not like it but wont do him any harm for a few hours.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 11:20:29 AM »
Oh no we were planning on painting our entire lounge over easter weekend might have to rethink it all now because I have a sneeky feeling Jess might enjoy dipping his paws into paint!!!

This might be a silly question but is the paint harmful to the moggys?

Offline littleKitten_(alex)

• Senior Cat
  • Poppy the Lion
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 11:15:27 AM »
Hahaha - cats and paint, what a recipe for disaster. Haven't dared do any decorating since cats joined us last year.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 10:05:52 AM »
i had a similar thing a while back mark but i was using ronseal quick drying wood stain..you can guess who had to leave his MARKS all over  >:(  luckily its a type of wood stain that only needs water and soapy liquid to clean brushed etc so was easily cleaned off of his very teak coloured paw pads !!!!
but i had to then clean/rub down and re do the the staining.

Offline Liza

• Senior Cat
  • My girls Cruz & Jet
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 09:05:24 AM »
I'm waiting for one dry weekend (Easter hopefully) I've got to paint all the wood work in my hall and landing (skirting, doorframes, banisters) I just know that given half the chance Jet and Cruz will choose to run through the banister as usual.  Not fun I'm sure trying to get gloss paint off a Black and Black & White cats!!!  :doh:
People who don't like cats were mice in a previous life!!

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 08:14:27 AM »
I have another deep ledge on the window that looks out onto the garden. The New window & ledge were put in 3 months ago but I'm scared to paint as I know what is going to happen  :Crazy:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 07:29:31 AM »
I have three faded white paw prints on my chocolate brown leather sofa....if you look closely you can even make out which offending paw committed the crime.... its like Lexy knew the sofas were new and the lovely satinwood paint on the skirting where she never goes was the perfect place to get her "paint" to complete her "art".   :rofl:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 07:08:51 AM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:   You can always rely on cats to teach us a lesson!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 00:23:37 AM »
So true  :Luv:

Well that's my excuse, I'm not sanding and painting again, that's for sure!  :tired:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 00:20:22 AM »
 :evillaugh: I think that's lovely Mark, you will always have a permanent reminder of Clapton, no wonder you couldn't stay angry with him  :)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Cats and wet paint
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 00:14:27 AM »
I painted some satinwood today. We have a couple of windows in our lower ground floor that have a recess. I wondered  if they would be OK with the cats and I thought clapton is the only one in that part of the room and he sleeps on the sofa most of the time. Guess who decided to have a good day today and get curious? - I heard him jump and yelled. He hopped straight back down onto the "red velvet" sofa!! - luckily the paint is tacky and none transferred, although there are footprints and fur on the paint  :Crazy: - I took so much trouble sanding and washing down to get a good finish  >:(

Oh well - I couldn't stay angry with him for long  :Luv:
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 00:14:47 AM by Mark »

Link to CatChat