Author Topic: LOST TRAP.  (Read 2710 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: LOST TRAP.
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2007, 12:43:14 PM »
I would also like to point out again that the farmer didn't actually lose the trap in a way that someone pinched it, he lent it to someone who was adopting a kitten from him to use like a carry cage. But can't remember exactly who. They tell me they have been to a couple of addresses but so far no luck.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2007, 12:00:18 PM »
I think the main problem is we take people at face value and we try and trust them when they say they will do this and that, but like they always do, they let you down  :censored:

I think it's unfair to try and make Ela feel guilty about what's happened, I'm sure she must feel guilty enough without peeps making her feel worse.  I take on all these "cat" issues and as expected, I do get sidetracked by getting involved in another more important "cat" issue and some things get put on a back burner until time permits.  I really hope the trap turns up and these babes will eventually get sorted out for their sakes.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2007, 11:59:39 AM »
Ela do you think the sspca might pay them a visit

I don't think th SSPCA would come from Scotland Lynn ;D. A bit too far to travel.

I know the RSPCA would not do anything because as long as cats are fed they would be happy, also If they did visit then that would be the chance lost to get the cats neutered/spayed.

An inspector was once called to collect some little feral kittens, (which was a surprise in itself as they don't usually deal with ferals, and just took the kittens and left the mum on site to produce again.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2007, 11:50:29 AM »
Ela do you think the sspca might pay them a visit ?? Just to try and stress the importance of getting a trap back and the issues of all their cats not being neutered and presumabley not recieving vet care.

ooops that should be rspca for england isnt it..i know they get a bad name but surely an inspector would go and "have a word" ?

after all that would come under "preventing" cruelty
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 11:54:49 AM by lynn »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2007, 11:46:23 AM »
Surely Ela if the trap was loaned out in July a daily phone call to the farmer might have helped keep track of the whereabouts of it and also the situation with the cats.

The farmer had loads of phone calls over the months  from myself, Jill and Simon who provided the trap and Anita our feral officer, he was always gunna, but never took aim and fired.

I understand your riddle to mean that the poor pregnant ones will be aborted if caught, how very badly those poor cats have been let down by both the farmer and those involved as so much could have been achieved before this situation got out of control.

If you mean by those involved, me, then all I can say is I have done everything in my  power, if a farmer doesn't really want his cats neutered/spayed and will not actually allow you on the property there is not a lot you can do. I don't like the idea of termination however, what is there for kittens, the farmer does not want them, he really does not want all the cat backs, where are they to go? If you know somewhere for them please let me know and perhaps we can arrange something. I have said  to the farmers wife if some of the cats do have kittens we will have the mums spayed later and take the kittens. Also of course we would not agree to a late termination.

The trap has apparently been missing about 3 weeks now and they are still trying to locate it as I too worry about the implications of a trap in the wrong hands. Believe me I did let the farmers wife know I was not happy but had to be careful for the cats sake, Once they are all done, I may not be so polite.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2007, 11:36:19 AM »
i would never have considered the thought and implications or a trap getting into the wrong hands.(meaning it would never have occured to me folk would do any of the storys i have just read)
  I guess theres that chance regardless if you charge a deposit or phone them everyday or not. Unless you personally do the trapping (which isnt always feesable) and sit waiting there is no 100% gaurantee something bad wont happen and we have to put abit of trust in others, its just unfortunate that some of them let you down, the farmer here is clearly irresponsible from every view point.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 11:29:35 AM »
One little story I will post on here is a couple of years ago, I loaned a trap from one of our local rescues as I was catching a large number of ferals.  Anyway, she needed it back and she said she'd give me a shout when she was done.  I contacted her as I hadn't heard anything and I got some horrifying news off her.  This lady leaves traps unattended which I NEVER do, the cat she was trying to catch was caught in it and some  :censored: scum decided it would be a good idea to place the trap in front of a car and run it over  :censored: :censored: :censored:

A horrible story but true  :'(  :'(  :'(

ccmacey

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 11:25:26 AM »
Oh this could be a horrifying thing.

When I loaned a trap from the cp the lady warned me about this and I was so scared I didnt let the trap out of my site, I hope you get it back. For the moneys side of things too.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 11:22:35 AM »
This thread chills me to the very core, many years ago a trap got into wrong hands about 20 miles from here (Not one of my traps) the result numerous pet cats belonging to people in that area were caught and strung up before being tortured and killed.
Surely Ela if the trap was loaned out in July a daily phone call to the farmer might have helped keep track of the whereabouts of it and also the situation with the cats.
I understand your riddle to mean that the poor pregnant ones will be aborted if caught,how very badly those poor cats have been let down by both the farmer and those involved as so much could have been achieved before this situation got out of control.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 11:05:06 AM »
When I first loaned a trap off CP, I had to give them a cheque for £50 which would be refunded once I'd returned it.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 10:02:32 AM »
yes i understood your riddle perfectly and agree needs must especially where a situation like that is getting totally out of control.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 07:37:22 AM »
I fear that even a small deposit would put some people off especially those who are reluctant to neuter/spay in the first place and think they are doing us a favour. The fact that we are paying for the op and also for a MOT, flea and worm treatment does not come into it. When we loan traps for lost cats or when someone has a garden cat and they are moving and need to trap their cat the always return the trap very quickly.

PM will be sent about the cryptic clue.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 22:43:58 PM »
My local CP charges a refundable deposit, maybe it is the way to go Ela - doesn't cover buying a new trap (they only charge £25) but it is enough to make people think twice about 'loosing' them. Good luck in getting the cats, and then the trap.
Fraid you lost me with that riddle Ela!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 18:55:37 PM »
probably defo some on the way..ggggrrrrrr

No probable about it, it is a defo I am afraid, but I am also afraid it is a case of needs must if at all possible, if you know what I mean. I don't like it but must be realistic.

I do so talk in riddles but you do understand, don't you?

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 18:50:10 PM »
blimey...16 adults, possibly kittens and probably defo some on the way..ggggrrrrrr  >:( >:( >:(

how do you make them feel bad .... i'd really really want to make them feel very guilty about the whole situation. (after cats taken care of of course)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 17:59:59 PM »
i would get a full refund of the lost trap (atleast they are admitting to having it)
B --- just how many cats/kittens approx have they now got ??
C ---- could you get the farmer in to be "done" aswell (punishment for allowing so many cats to be born)

1 I will if I can, once the cats are done. That is the priority just now.

2 At least 16 adults

3 Chop it off, that is what I say.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 17:52:26 PM »
 :Crazy: :Crazy:

A ---- i would get a full refund of the lost trap (atleast they are admitting to having it)
B --- just how many cats/kittens approx have they now got ??
C ---- could you get the farmer in to be "done" aswell (punishment for allowing so many cats to be born)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 17:27:41 PM »
We do go out and trap but we cannot do everything as there are so few of us, and we have so much rescue to do. Donna is out 7 days a week for many hours, every day she has cats to take to the vets, she also helps in the shop and at fundraising events, she does home visits and other bits, also this farm is miles away. We have or rather had 12 traps and 2 catch nets. No we don't charge a deposit, in 16 years this is only the 2nd trap to go missing, and then it was because they actually handed it over to someone.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 17:17:26 PM »
We often go out and do the trapping ourselves, with some people you just know they wont do it even if you give them all the help in world  >:(

Do you take a deposit when you loan them out? More likely to get them back as they dont want to lose the £50
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 16:11:54 PM by Millys Mum »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 17:05:55 PM »
Never mind the cost I would be seriously worried about the trap falling into the wrong hands.

That is exactly what I told the farmers wife.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 17:02:51 PM »
Never mind the cost I would be seriously worried about the trap falling into the wrong hands.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
LOST TRAP.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 16:58:30 PM »
Last year a farmer kept taking loads of kittens to one of my fosterers Anita, so I contacted him and advised him we cannot keep taking in kittens, and told him he needed to have the cats ‘done’. The farmer agreed and I sent Vouchers and he borrowed a trap. Every month I ‘write up’ the unused vouchers and there was always an excuse as to why the cats had not been done. Anyway he phoned the fosterer who had lent him the trap today and said I am over run with cats. Jill asked how many he had trapped and he said none and I haven’t got the trap, she asked where it was and he said he lent it to someone who took a kitten from the farm and now they cannot locate it. He also the said that he did not want to shoot the cats. Anyway to cut a long story short. I phoned the farm and the farmers wife replied who is a bit nicer (but thick). I asked why the cats had not been done when a trap was lent to them last year, she replied well I wasn't very well at Christmas. I replied but you had the trap since last July, no answer was the reply. I asked about the now missing trap and she said she would pay for it, although she was not so eager when I said that will be over £100 you owe us then. After what I assume picking herself off the floor, I said we will not worry too much about the trap just now (I lied I am furious but we need to keep friendly for the cats sake). I said are you willing to take the cats to the vets one by one if we lend you another trap and she said yes, although some of the cats I think are pregnant (the jury is out on that). She said we wont have to have the cats back will we; I said yes but if someone rings and wants farm cats we will put them on to you. I then asked if she was happy with that and she said yes. I forgot to mention we will first home those we have. Once all done (I live in hope) I will send a bill for the trap, you never know we may get a bit or dosh.

Link to CatChat