Author Topic: Is my missing cat just courting?  (Read 2543 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: Is my missing cat just courting?
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 10:42:15 AM »
I haven't seen your other threads, but here's my experience of unneutered toms.

In the early 80's I lived in a shared house with landlord and landlady in situ. They "owned" an unneutered tom (long before I knew as much about being a good cat slave) who would disappear for several days at a time, then come home looking battered and exhausted, sleep solidly for several days (between meals), then disappear again. This seems to be the lifestyle of entire toms; a life which is usually cut short by traffic accidents or fighting.

Chances are that Yoshi will be home soon. When he is, do his girlfriends, unwanted kittens, him and yourself a huge favour by whisking him to the vet and getting him done. Keeping him unneutered as an indoor only cat usually results in attempts to bonk your leg, cushions etc, and is imho cruel.

Haven't checked your profile, but I'm assuming that you're male  :scared: Many men seem to feel really reluctant to have male cats neutered. I've tried advocating it to some who come up with all types of excuses and cross their legs  :evillaugh:

Good luck for Yoshi's safe return. One thing I tried when Fred went walkies for ten days (and he was neutered - he was visiting his feral friends and relations!) was to scatter poo from the litter tray around the perimeter of the garden (at dawn when no one was watching  :rofl: ). I read this on a website; it's supposed to mark his area and remind him where home is.  He returned.  :hug:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 10:45:30 AM by Hippykitty »
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 23:08:12 PM »
Hiya and   :welcome:  to Purrs

So very sorry to hear that Yoshi has gone awol

Have you seen Sam's excellent advice?

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,305.0.html

It may sound obvious but are you leaving some food by the back door and/or in the garden?

Hope that Yoshi comes home soon

:where:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 19:39:04 PM »
Any news?

Can he have a catflap? Shutting them out all day encourages them to roam too  :(

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 19:23:56 PM »
Was your cat microchipped and are the address details up to date? I have read that un-neutered males are the most likely cats to get lost or hurt on the road, they wander much further than you expect after a little skirt and easily get lost! How far have your leafleted and postered? You might also post on the Moneysavingexperts pets board as the forums as a whole are in the top ten most visited.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 18:20:56 PM »
That is a fair question, actually. If you knew it was likely your lad (love the name, by the way) was leaving surprises for female cat owners did you not think it might be better to keep him in until he was neutered?

I'm sorry Yoshi is missing and hope he returns soon. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 17:50:01 PM »
I knew for about 2 or 3 months that he was sexually active (just by looking!)

Help us to understand why, when you knew he was sexually active, the reasons  he was still allowed outside?   :-:

My neighbours cat went missing when he had not been neutered, never to return  :(

Can I ask do you find it ok if a cat is just "courting"? also leaving unwanted kittens all over the place!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 17:51:29 PM by CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls »
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline WaxMechaniK

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 17:30:58 PM »
Thanks for everyone's input!

I understand a little better now. I think Teresa's comment about his hormones puts this into perspective. No matter how great a home a male cat has, he will do anything to find a mate.

I guess it's clear that the fact Yoshi has left to find a female is the most likely possibility. Although anything could have happened.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 17:11:24 PM »
I`m afraid Yoshi will now let his hormones rule his life, it doesnt matter how loving his home is ,his need to mate is greater than anything. Hopefully he will turn up safely and you can get him neutered without delay.
Welcome to Purrs

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 17:06:03 PM »
Posted on your other threadm hope he comes home soon  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 17:01:16 PM »
Hi, certainly if he's not been neutered he will be tempted to go AWOL.   I do hope that he is soon found (I've posted in the lost and found section)  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline WaxMechaniK

• Kitten
Is my missing cat just courting?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 16:58:52 PM »
Hi there,

I recently posted an ad on the site for my missing cat Yoshi and on the National Pet Register site:

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,30956.0.html

http://www.nationalpetregister.org/mp/20536.htm

He is around 10-11 months old, and still looks like a kitten, and certainly acts like one! He has not been neutered, though was just about to book him in, perfect timing!

I knew for about 2 or 3 months that he was sexually active (just by looking!), so I'm guessing he will have been wanting a female cat! I understand that cats who are courting can disappear for days to weeks until they are 'satisfied' and return home. However, my cat rarely went further than the next road. In fact, he would only be found within the space of a few doors down either way on our road. He would also be indoors a LOT of the time, loved it inside, usually every day he would wait to be allowed in by our back door meaowing, or as soon as he heard me, he would come running inside.

Well anyway, I'm just struggling to understand if this is normal. If he has been so attached to his home for so long, how can he suddenly disappear from the whole area? is it normal for cats who are courting to disappear instantly, even after spending all their time in a loving, warm home with plenty of food? If he's been gone a week, and only I would feed him, how is he surviving?

I hope someone can help me understand here!

Link to CatChat