Author Topic: food too rich?  (Read 3832 times)

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Billy and Zarny (Benji, Fred and Ginger, gone but not forgotten)
Re: food too rich?
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 16:15:29 PM »
Thats good news for Alice! glad she likes it, Benji still loves it despite me having bought a massive, bloomin huge bag of it for £45!! so I am very pleased with it.
I also noticed he is now a lot less gassy on this dry food and similarly, now he only makes the bathroom wiffy, whereas before, he could clear a house with his ahem, deposits!!

Benji's tummy is also a lot better now he has very very few treats, I think I was overloading him with love, thinking it was nice for him to have a variety of treats, but now that they have been cut out and his food amount is reduced, we have perfect poohs every time (and he has lost 0.05kg, I am so proud of my boy!) lol

I hope Alice continues enjoying it! :)

Jen and Benji
...pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again...

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 15:29:23 PM »
I started Alice on it 2 weeks ago. I didn't think she would eat it, but she loves it. it is the Blue Whiting and rice one. i know they also do a more extreme version. I tried Alice on it a few times but she wasn't interested. Anyway, for the last 2 days, for the first time ever, I have had to look in the tray for 'solids' - usually they can fill the house  :sick: - also, no blood in poos  ;D
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline valeriewhiteside

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 14:26:30 PM »
hope the RC does the trick

a word of warning though - cats are programmed to show great enthusiasm for any food which comes in a sample size - and then when you have been fooled into buying the biggest size on the market, to keep costs down, they act as if you're trying to poison them :evillaugh:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: How true!!

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 21:25:23 PM »
hope the RC does the trick

a word of warning though - cats are programmed to show great enthusiasm for any food which comes in a sample size - and then when you have been fooled into buying the biggest size on the market, to keep costs down, they act as if you're trying to poison them :evillaugh:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 21:01:18 PM »
Ok, thanks for your help, I have got a small sample pack of Royal Canin Sensitive today from a local pet shop who have just started stocking it, so it was on an introductory offer. I gave Benji some as little treats (instead of his dreamies) and he LOVED them! I will get rid of the whiskas and feed him a better quality dry food, I did not realise it was so bad! (I will gradually change it over though)
Jen and Benji

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 20:18:21 PM »
You probably wont need to pay more for a 'sensitive' diet version just improving the quality should help.
The gourmet could be a bit rich but id try changing the dry first

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 15:02:29 PM »
perhaps I should have worded it better, sorry, I am just concerned that the food I am giving him is causing an upset tummy, I will look into Royal Canin dry foods and replace the Whiskas dry (gradually) with something that is better for him and see how that helps.
Thanks
Jen and Benji

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 14:00:28 PM »
Hi,
Benji has a bit of a delicate tummy and gets runny poo when he gets stressed. He was taken to the vets 1 week ago and found the whole ordeal very stressful, but he was given his booster and a clean bill of health. Now he has started having soft poo (which to be honest he has had on and off, but normally after some sort of stressful event, so we have put it down to that) however, he now has soft poo and no stress, so I am wondering if I am feeding him a cat food that is too rich? and if so, could anyone recommend a good food that would be a little less rich for his tummy? he is currently on one sachet of gourmet cat food with some whiskas dried food mixed in per day and he is allowed a couple of handfuls of dried food to graze on during the day, as, despite his size, he doesn't actually wolf down his food. What would you recommend that is good food but a bit better for his tummy? :)
Thanks for any help
Jen and Benji
p.s. I want to try a different food before putting him through the whole vets ordeal first which, because it is so stressful gives him runny poo anyway, but if it does continue after a food change, then of course I will take him to the vet.

What is your definition of too rich, for humans this usually means high fat or high meat? Cats are obligate carnivores, they are supposed to eat a high meat, high fat diet. Some cats struggle to digest grains - certainly my Noah does nice firm non-smelly poops on raw plus Orijen - and the Whiskas you feed is very high in cereals. You might try adding Zylkene to his food to reduce stress, or as Susanne says probiotics (beneficial bacteria) such as LactoB may be of use. Obviously any change of food should take place gradually over time.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 12:50:08 PM »
You could also try some lacto b to help firm up his poos.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 12:34:14 PM »
some of the major food manufacturers make dry foods especially for cats with delicate tummies

have a look at the Royal Canin range, for instance

if you use the links to Coombs and Zooplus at the bottom of the page you will find several kinds available there

Whiskas dry is not a very good quality dry food, and has several undesirable additivesl
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
food too rich?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 10:06:44 AM »
Hi,
Benji has a bit of a delicate tummy and gets runny poo when he gets stressed. He was taken to the vets 1 week ago and found the whole ordeal very stressful, but he was given his booster and a clean bill of health. Now he has started having soft poo (which to be honest he has had on and off, but normally after some sort of stressful event, so we have put it down to that) however, he now has soft poo and no stress, so I am wondering if I am feeding him a cat food that is too rich? and if so, could anyone recommend a good food that would be a little less rich for his tummy? he is currently on one sachet of gourmet cat food with some whiskas dried food mixed in per day and he is allowed a couple of handfuls of dried food to graze on during the day, as, despite his size, he doesn't actually wolf down his food. What would you recommend that is good food but a bit better for his tummy? :)
Thanks for any help
Jen and Benji
p.s. I want to try a different food before putting him through the whole vets ordeal first which, because it is so stressful gives him runny poo anyway, but if it does continue after a food change, then of course I will take him to the vet.

Link to CatChat