Author Topic: Spaying and Bloods??  (Read 3669 times)

Offline ClaireC

• Adult Cat
  • Honey (Monster!)
Re: Spaying and Bloods??
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2006, 09:25:32 AM »
Yes I think you are right - I have received an estimated bill this morning from the vet and it does say that on it.  Can you tell me what was in it?

Thanks

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
  • My first rescues Chas and Dave!!!
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2006, 17:24:44 PM »
I bet its the neutered cat pack that my vet has on promo - £3.99 - the one I got for you Des. We got enough food for Archie over night so the anaesthetic didnt make him sick from food - free
Only The Educated Are Free

www.catactiontrust1977.co.uk

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2006, 12:50:04 PM »
ontop of the normal spay (or any op) price we used to dispense an appropriate amount of hills a/d depending on type of op, clients were welcome to refuse this if they wished but alot seemed happy they didnt have to think about chicken etc and panic about what to feed.
more convenient i guess and actually better for them after an op altho all do ok with chicken etc aswell.

Offline ClaireC

• Adult Cat
  • Honey (Monster!)
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2006, 09:16:59 AM »
Apparently its for food they should have afterwards and a token off another bag of food, a fleecy blanket and some other things.  Its probably just a promotional thing really.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2006, 09:09:22 AM »
£4.99 for optional after care what is all that about? Included in the £36 spay fee at our vets is a MOT before the op, spay, check 3 days later to ensure all is well and stitches out 10 days later, for those who have not already bitten them out.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline ClaireC

• Adult Cat
  • Honey (Monster!)
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 08:44:10 AM »
Oh right - well my vet is not only offering but suggesting that we have it done.  £25 sounds a lot to me for blood tests on top of £39.99 for the spay.  Then they want £4.99 for the after care kit (optional!) so thats £70 in total. 

Of course I am willing to pay it but before I got the kitten I phoned the vets to find out how much things like injectionss and spaying cost so that I could check we could afford to take a kitten on.  This kind of cost is not something the vet tells you about before hand though.

Bless my kitten - she has a weeks grace though as I am ill myself at the moment so have had to move her appointment to next week.

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 07:51:52 AM »
i don't know any vets that offer this, but if I could afford it at the time I would do - mine are tested yearly with being older, wish I could only pay £25 for it!!
Please spay your cat

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2006, 15:14:48 PM »
yes of course that would be yep LOL

i did think you meant the spay, alot of peeps do think its covered.

Offline ClaireC

• Adult Cat
  • Honey (Monster!)
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2006, 15:09:25 PM »
Sorry perhaps I didnt make that clear.  I know Im not covered for the spay but if she were to have an accident in the future which meant she had to have an op and therefore have bloods done again this would be covered by my insurance.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2006, 15:07:26 PM »
claire sorry to say i doubt your ins will cover any of this. stuff like neuters is classed as preventative and ive never heard anyone being able to claim, the bloods would be the same in this instance and even if you could claim you are likely to have an excess higher than 25, unless you have a no excess policy.

Offline ClaireC

• Adult Cat
  • Honey (Monster!)
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 14:12:05 PM »
Thanks for your help.  I will have it done this time.  I suppose really its a one off as she wont have to have any other ops in the near future unless she is involved in an accident.  I have pet insurance too so that would be covered i should imagine.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 13:56:52 PM »
oops I have started so I will finish this time. The problem is that if there were internal organ problems the vet could take extra precautions when giving the anaesthetic or even delay the op until the blood showed a better reading. However, as lynn said in younger cats the problems are not very frequent.

Offline ClaireC

• Adult Cat
  • Honey (Monster!)
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 13:54:01 PM »
Thanks - I have told them I will have it done but when my Mum said about her cat having it because of his age we wondered if it was them trying to get more money out of us.  I can afford it (just!) so would rather have it done to be safe.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 13:50:51 PM »
T

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 13:28:59 PM »
but if you really cant, then the chances are very slim for a prob in such young cats but not non exsistant.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 13:19:11 PM »
If you can afford it I would most certainly have it done and always in older cats.

Even young cats can have problems and a blood test before the anaesthetic could save a life.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 13:06:01 PM »
claire we also used to give everyone the option of this, obviously with older animals the chances for slight deteriation in the kidneys and liver etc is fairly hight but also any living animal can have an undetected problem even tho they are young and appear healthy.

Most do not take this offer due to costs and prob most 6  mnths cats would be totally normally but i have personally experienced and remember being shocked with a couple of cat spays and maybe 3 cat castrates (out of hundreds over a few years !) all kits who had abnormal results in varying degrees.  even tho the op went ahead in all bar one  cats owners were educated early on re diets etc and animals were regularily checked to monitor.

it proved to me the pro of pre op blood testing regardless of age.

Offline ClaireC

• Adult Cat
  • Honey (Monster!)
Spaying and Bloods??
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 11:11:01 AM »
Hi all

I have booked my kitten in to be spayed next week.  The lady I spoke to at the vets said that they recommend that we have bloods done before the op so that they can check my kittens kidneys etc so they know they are doing the right anisthetic.  This is going to cost an extra £25 which sounds quite a lot to me.  My Mum takes her cat to the same vet (he is 13) and last time he was put under for his teeth they told her it was because of his age they should have it done. 

Does anyone know if this is really necessary or are the vets just making a few more quid out of me?  I have no problem if it is like they say but it seems odd to me that they give different reasons to different people.

Thanks

Claire

Link to CatChat