Author Topic: Cat Food  (Read 3845 times)

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Cat Food
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006, 07:57:13 AM »
I wont bother with the pouches, as mine wont accept things like Tetrapaks. We have a green bin for glass, plastic and tins, an orange bag for card and a blue bag for paper, plus a different shade of green bin for the rest - but I dont have a lot in there, and the majority is cat litter.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2006, 12:04:53 PM »
I t did take a few days to get used to it, but now it is easy pezzzzzzzzzy and it make you feel good that you are at least trying to help the environment.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2006, 19:02:38 PM »
Blimey yours is complicated ela  :-: ours is only glass, tins and paper everything else goes in the normal bin.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 11:28:21 AM »
It must do, ours is glass, tins, foil etc in blue box, paper in blue bag, cardboard in green bin and general waste in black bin, there is no provision for plastics although there ais at Supermarkets..

In Germany some places have 4 bns  brown, green, purple and  black, goodness knows where I put put 4

Offline Mimi (Mewg)

• Senior Cat
  • Phoebe, Nellie & Libby
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 12:57:45 PM »
It varies from one area to another, I think. Ours states specifically only card/paper, plastic bottles/containers and tins which are collected fortnightly in a wheelie bin. We have to recycle glass separately by taking it to the bottle bank.......and defo no foil backed cartons as Milly's Mum said! Maybe in some places pouches would be allowed, but not in Southsea, Hants!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 12:43:56 PM »
I dont think they are, its like the stretchy foily plastic inside orange juice cartons, it messes up the pulping machine!  :Crazy:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 08:21:23 AM »
Will start doing it then, and see if anyone says anything - bin will be even less full then!! They are all on either pouches or small tins.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 08:16:02 AM »
I always put the pouches/foil containers  in the tin  box, on the literature we had it said foil etc and they are foil, aren't they? The box is always full of them and the men collecting have never said anything.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 07:46:34 AM »
I would opt for tins with that number of cats too, i can't think of anywhere offhand that does bulk deals on them, but if anyone does come up with anywhere, it would be handy for the rescue!! 4 pouches of food each is quite a lot though. Ooh, didn't know pouches could be recycled, my bin just says tins, plastic and glass.
Please spay your cat

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 00:26:54 AM »
Ohh, that's good, I wasn't sure - I thought they would be too plasticy.
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline jojo1974

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 13:52:15 PM »
The pouches can be recycled too.

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 13:16:14 PM »
Jojo you're not seriously counting having to recycle the tins as a negative? Surely that's a bonus, the pouches put soooooooo much waste into the landfill sites... if they were leaving some then put less in the bowl, put the rest in the fridge with one of those little plastic can covers over it. You could maybe try mixing just a few biscuits in with their wet food, see if they go for those at first...
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 11:49:28 AM »

oops - wrong thread - don't know how that happened! 

deleted post
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 11:50:19 AM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 11:37:12 AM »
I  don't know where you can buy bulk - I guess your best bet is to keep your eye out for special offers in supermarkets, pets at home etc.

re the dry food thing - don't stress about them not eating dry food.  wet food is much better for them.  The myth about dry food helping teeth is just that.  If your cat loves wet food and won't eat dry be grateful!  Dry food is very carby and it can be a major contributor to obesity in cats so imo I'd keep on feeding the wet.

Offline jojo1974

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 11:28:37 AM »
Thanks for that.  Unfortunately I do not have a Makro close by and i'm sure my company wouldn't help.  I used to feed them tins but changed in the summer to pouches because when they left food it smelt and with the pouches they eat everything given to them.  Also my recycling with tins was huge. 

Offline chrisleitz

• Senior Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 11:19:41 AM »
JoJo, would you be able to get a Makro Trade card through your employer.  Of course you would need to have a Makro store near you.  You can buy large quantities there at often cheaper prices (not always but most times).  Also, wouldn't it work out cheaper if you feed tins of Whiskas rather than pouches?
Best wishes, Chris, Samson, Buddie and Pepper

Offline jojo1974

• Kitten
Cat Food
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 11:08:09 AM »
I wondered if anyone may have any suggestions.

I have 5 cats that are currently eating 4 pouches of whiskas food each every day (I know they should be on dried food but I have tried everything to treach my siamese to eat it in every way possible including adding water etc but she will just not accept it is edible)

I wondered if anyone knew where I could get the food wholesale as it is costing a fortune.  Not that I mind but if I could save money it would be great.

Thanks for any suggestions :innocent:

Link to CatChat