Author Topic: Poorly Pussy  (Read 2059 times)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Re: Poorly Pussy
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2010, 22:25:00 PM »
So sorry the little one never made it!  :(

RIP little one xxx

Offline KrazyKatLady

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2010, 20:48:23 PM »
No, i won't be having any for a while! A few personal problems have put pay to that  :( but will try and find another way to help all the needy kitty kats!!

Is there anywhere on the boards that are area specific? I am in Portsmouth, I've tried contacting CP but they never got back to me. If anyone knows of any smaller rescues,I'd be happy to help out there xxx
Cat Mom to Aussie & Kiwi, and non furry child Caleb.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 20:21:03 PM »
Sorry the little lad didnt make it  :( :hug:

I would be extremely concerned about enteritis, this needs a serious clean down and no cats in OR out for some time to make sure nothing leaves. Please speak to your vets about what kind of lock down you need to cover your back incase it was enteritis  :scared:
The little ones who are in greatest need of saving from these horrible places often come with awful problems such as enteritis, so sad he couldnt fight

Offline KrazyKatLady

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 09:38:38 AM »
Thankyou, I had taken advice from here, starved him and he was on special food from the vets, I also did him some coley which he was eating, but I think he was just too poorly and where he was so young he just didn't stand a chance.

I am in the process of cleaning out the house now, getting rid of all the things he'd used and disinfecting, for the safety of my own cats.

Next time, I will take them straight to the vets to get them checked over. I might see if I can come to some sort of arrangement with the one I saw with Yoda as she was lovely and very understanding.  I knew he wasn't really right when I picked him up, but couldn't leave him where he was.

Offline RACR

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
    • RACR
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 07:23:04 AM »
I am so sorry to hear he didnt make it :(

I also would of suggested what another member did and stuck with special formula food little and often. We have a sick cat (she was) in and she to reacts to food badly. When they cant stomach it you starve for 24 hrs then re introduce special food slowly in small frequent meals :)

May I make a suggestion. You have a lovely warm heart in wanting to help so many cats and kittens, but really you need to be properly equiped, not only with the right foods, 1st aid rescources etc.. but financialy. When a animal needs medical care and is in your care you have the duty to care and provide this. Maybe if in the future you have any sick cats/kittens you coud ask a rescue to take them to help? I am sure they would be more than happy to :) I would also advice on a qaurentine period of at least 2 weeks. We do this and a few times we have had people wanting adopt from us and they reserve the cat (dog or what ever animal it is they want to adopt) until tey have passed qaurentine, been assesed in that time and hav vaccinations, chipping and neutering done etc..

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 22:11:27 PM »
I am sorry for your loss.  :( :hug: :hug:

Offline KrazyKatLady

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 22:02:45 PM »
Sorry guys, he didn't make it. Died in my arms earlier. I am devastated..... Have given him a bath, wrapped him in a blanket and now just have to find a nice quiet place to bury him.

Told my little boy he might not make it through the night, so there will be lots more tears in the morning.

I just know my sis in law will take care of him up there on her cloud, she was a sucker for a kitty like me!!!

RIP Yoda, will miss our little chats xxx  :angel:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 21:49:10 PM »
A little bit of natural yoghurt wont do any harm.... I really hope its not FIP!  :( :hug:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 13:25:02 PM »
is Yoda very undersized for his age?

I'm afraid I am thinking what I think Julie is thinking, and that is the possibility of the dreaded FIP :( 
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline KrazyKatLady

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 12:07:49 PM »
Hi, I understand your concern. I don't take in adult cats, they are all  kittens up to about 5 or 6 months and the older ones have usually had their vacs. Alot of the time I actually know of people that are wanting cats so the turn around can be as little as 24 hours. I never have more than 2 extra's and if it is 2, they are from the same litter. I keep them away from my own 2, who are perfectly healthy until i have wormed and flead them.

Yoda was actually not that well when i took him in, he'd been born in the garden and the lady said she thought the mum had cat flu I think he may well have been taken from her to soon as he is very clingy. I took him to the vets as soon as I realised something was very wrong. His problem now is his tummy, he can't absorb his food even tho he's eating and drinking. That is what the tests are going to be for.

I know I'm not expert, and I don't have the best "facilities"  but if you saw some of the places I've had kittens from then you'd know them being with me is the better option!! They have everything as new, bowls, blankets, beds etc to avoid anything being passed on. I do the best I can by all the kittens that come to me, Yoda is the fist one that has been poorly in anyway. And its breaking my heart to see him like this.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 01:57:33 AM »
Only just spotted this.  :sneaky:

I went to look at your post history to see if there was any history of Yoda or whether he may be a new addition to your family. You say in your first post when you joined Purrs that you take in and rehome unwanted kittens as a hobby and 20 kittens have been through your house in the last six months. I also see posts of you showing us several adult cats you've taken in recently. I can only go by your posts and photographs so forgive me if I'm wrong.... But that's actually quite a high turnover for one fosterer who perhaps doesn't have the back up of an established rescue or the right equipment. Hunny... my little mind is twitching here and I so desperately want to be wrong. So forgive these few questions. :(

What isolation facilities do you have? How long do you keep new arrivals segregated from the others? Do the new arrivals complete the full vaccination course before you mix them?  :shy:

If Yoda has indeed contracted cat flu from one of your rescues, or the strain has lain dormant in his system, he can never be mixed with cats which didn't come from the same source as he did. Even when two cats are known flu carriers, there's no guarantee they are carrying the same strain. Even an outwardly very healthy cat which is a flu carrier can pass the flu on to a cat which didn't previously have that strain of flu. Also it's now important not to stress Yoda out in any way from now on. If he's a carrier, he can become sick and show flu symptoms again if he gets stressed. Flu can come back again and again and again.  :(

I would think your vet is concerned about a few issues and probably wants to screen out certain diseases which is why he wants to do these tests. Did he mention screening for the Corona virus at all?  :shify:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 07:28:23 AM »
Do you not know someone else who could reg him as their own for you!  :sneaky:

This kitty does need immediate attention though!  :scared:

Offline KrazyKatLady

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 20:36:37 PM »
Its not looking good people, altho Yoda seems brighter in himself, he is not absorbing any of the food or liquids he's taking in, they just go straight thru him. He's slowly losing weight.

The vet says he needs blood tests etc, only problem is I can't afford them. My other cats are registered at the PDSA but I am waiting for a 3rd pet to  come off the records before I can register another one... I don't know what to do!

She gave him a B12 shot free of charge and told me to see what I could do over the weekend. 'Im looking at about £200 worth of tests to see what is wrong with him, is there anyone out there that can help?

:help:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 19:09:36 PM »
As he needs to put on weight he needs extra easy to digest protein not carbs, pasta or rice would fill him up but it probably wont put weight on. I would feed extra small meals of his special food and chicken/white fish. Would he cope eating those little tins shredded chicken?

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 00:07:13 AM »
For feeding up then Hills A/D is always a good one, not sure whether it's suitable for delicate tummies though but worth asking at the vets as it's very palatable.

:get well: Yoda

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 20:20:44 PM »
Scrambled egg would be light - if he will eat it or some fish like coley or plain chicken - lots of protein

eta and a little cat milk each day will help too if she is ok with it depends though if she is on special dietary food - prob best to check with vet first.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 06:37:24 AM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline KrazyKatLady

• Adult Cat
Poorly Pussy
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 20:02:13 PM »
 :sick: My poor little Yoda is rather unwell, have been to the vets for jabs and advice, suspected cat flu which seems to be clearing up now but he also has a very bad tummy. He's taking a Pro Kolin paste, oralade and eating specail dietry food, but He needs to be fed up as he has lost a little bit of weight.  :tired:

Any suggestions? I was thinking boiled rice, pasta with some of his oralade.... vet said that would be ok.

What have you guys and gals tried and had success with??

Many thanks  :Luv2:

Link to CatChat