Author Topic: Can you freeze cat food?  (Read 6523 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Can you freeze cat food?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 06:26:24 AM »
I've never frozed cat food but would have thought it ok to freeze, just that the texture will alter,

Carol my cats would just lick jelly off of food so I always mash it up with a fork so it's harder for them to do it and thus less gets wasted  :sneaky:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 02:02:36 AM »
I have frozen cat food before.  Not regualarly, but in hot weather I have put it in the freezer and then put it in the auto freezers frozen so that it will defrost by the time the feeders open and won't be sat around in hot weather.  I dont' know how, if at all, it affects the nutritional content and I have never worried about that as I don't do it very often.  It always gets eaten.

That's such a good idea! :thanks: I left Noah with a feeder last weekend and deliberately turned the heating down, used the ice blocks and didn't chop up the meat at all but a tiny bit of me was still worried it wouldn't be fresh. That would be ideal for summer as the ice blocks won't last long, I was thinking I'd have to only leave dry to be on the safe side.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 00:51:23 AM »
My cats will not eat mashed food cos they cant get the jelly that way LOL

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 23:18:53 PM »
All the standard felix as well as kitten & senior is 2 for £5 right now  ;) - I think it ends on 21/1

ETA - In Sainsbury's  :shy:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 08:28:59 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 20:45:21 PM »
Because in the adverts they slide a whole pouch out in one big lump and the cat greatfully eats it  :rofl:

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 20:29:59 PM »
They call it loaf i think. Do you mash her felix? Makes it harder to just eat the jelly  :evillaugh:

Now why didn't I think of that :stupid:  :rofl:  I'll give it a go.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 20:14:50 PM »
They call it loaf i think. Do you mash her felix? Makes it harder to just eat the jelly  :evillaugh:

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 19:49:39 PM »

Carol, if penny likes whiskas supermeat they do a kitten version in tins half the size  ;D

Thanks for that MM.  I had a feeling they did but with the bad weather I haven't been venturing out much and have done all my shopping at the nearest supermarket - Morrisons, where kitten food is in short supply. Now that we have the thaw I'll go in search of some because if I give her Felix kitten in jelly she only eats the jelly and although she will eat dry I don't like to give her too much because she doesn't drink enough (as evidenced by dry poos).

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 19:30:01 PM »
I wouldnt freeze it, the texture change and having to warm it back up is too much hassle  :innocent:
If its only a treat why not buy a smaller version or use human tuna and eat the left overs yourself  ;)

Carol, if penny likes whiskas supermeat they do a kitten version in tins half the size  ;D

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 15:31:41 PM »
Thanks all.
Im not too bothered about the nutritional value of it as its complementary. Basically tonight Im going out for the first time since Mogs died and Im a bit worried as Amber has been asleep all day (until I started this of course) and shes going to be left. Normally I would give them cat tuna as its a bigger tin and they would be late for supper but as its not 'proper' food I dont really want to feed it again tomorrow in case Amber decides thats it shes not eating the good stuff anymore. I might try it as even if I have to throw it out in the end I'll know for next time
love
Tab

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 13:59:16 PM »
I have frozen cat food before.  Not regualarly, but in hot weather I have put it in the freezer and then put it in the auto freezers frozen so that it will defrost by the time the feeders open and won't be sat around in hot weather.  I dont' know how, if at all, it affects the nutritional content and I have never worried about that as I don't do it very often.  It always gets eaten.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 13:51:45 PM »
It just affects taste unless its kept in the fridge too long of course

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 13:29:18 PM »
Thats interesting Gill - are the changes harmful or do they just affect taste?  When I first got Penny my foster she wasn't eating the food that came with her and I found a few of tins of Whiskas supermeat in the cupboard left over from Korky.  She really enjoyed it but I had the same problem as you Tab - tins too big, not enough of them and roads full of snow so I couldn't get out for more.  I did freeze some (in one portion sizes) immediately after opening the tin. The texture of the meat was a bit more sloppy on thawing than before freezing but she has eaten them and not suffered any adverse effects (that I'm aware of). 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 13:19:39 PM »
no dont freeze it cos even it being in the fridge changes something within it and is why many cat will not eat tinned food which has been in the fridge.

i think the best you can do is put it in the fridge but no longer than 24 hrs and see if she will eat it.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
Can you freeze cat food?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 11:59:16 AM »
Amber really likes Morrisons tinned cat tuna but its quite a big tin and used to feed 2 cats with ease. I dont really want to give her the same food for multiple meals as its a complementary food not complete and Im worried she'll be sick. I thought about freezing half and wondered if you thought it would be ok?
love
Tab

Link to CatChat