Author Topic: Wanted new cat treats  (Read 4780 times)

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
Re: Wanted new cat treats
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2010, 19:05:39 PM »
 :hug:

We had pet rabbits as a child, my dad bred from them for food (think the Good Life!) - I refused and still won't eat rabbit myself! Don't mind for Noah just see it as natural, funny how the brain works. I eat very little meat now - money and ethics - and am not missing it, vegan would be impossible and I wouldn't impose my views on Noah. In many ways pet food is a good thing, as it helps use everything up and means no animals life goes to waste.

Is it just battery eggs that are banned from next year/ year after or is it all battery chickens, do you know?
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2010, 18:31:10 PM »
May I ask why not rabbit, is it to do with myxomatosis?

No - I just can't eat cute  :shy:

I don't eat lamb either. I hope to cut out meat completely again over time. I am rethinking a lot of things. Where I am doing my animal management degree is also a working farm (500 sheep onsite as well as a dairy etc). Seeing animals close up in the flesh is really opening my eyes. Although, luckily they don't slaughter on-site. My husbandry lecturer says he hardly eats any meat at all.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline LucynLuna

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2010, 17:07:30 PM »
Thanks for the info, had no idea about that  :scared:.  Will be looking out for other food sources........

:thanks:

Offline Claire_smc

• Hero Cat
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2010, 17:02:00 PM »
Iams have a history of conducting invasive experiments on animals to test their products. There's more information here: http://www.iamscruelty.com/introduction.asp but it could be upsetting to read.

'I love my cats because I love my home, and after a while they become its visible soul'

'I have studied many philsophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior'

Offline LucynLuna

• Adult Cat
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 16:44:48 PM »
I am very anti-IAMS

Can I ask why you are anti-IAMS, I've started feeding my two this and just wondering what your reasoning is for not liking IAMS?  Should I not be using this product?

Thanks

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 16:33:08 PM »
At the end of the day, I will give them (within reason) what they will eat. I do give them chicken but only free-range. I wish I could find a free-range wet food they would eat. I wouldn't feed them rabbit. I am very anti-IAMS but Clapton is refusing to eat RC or Hill's Renal food so I have ordered others, including Eukanaba. I hate the idea but I don't want my cats' health to suffer for my own principles (although I still don't knowingly buy P&G products, including things like Pringles)
Any animal drugs have been tested in high doses on other animals so should people deny their animals flea & worm treatment or any other meds? - it is a tricky one. I just think we have to do what we can but be prepared to compromise. Fortekor was tested on cats at 8 x dose and on dogs at 50 x dose. I hate the idea of that but I am sure Clapton would be dead by now if he hadn't been on his meds for the last 3 years+

It's really hard when you are trying to do the right thing.

Very interesting,  :thanks: for your reply.

Many years ago I fed my cats supermarket own tinned and kibble. This time around - with a more 'mature' attitude to green issues and a good working knowledge of human nutrition - I did my homework. In the end I gave up trying to marry up my wish list with what is on the market and fits my budget!! I am with you completely, I have had to compromise some of my principles for what I believe is healthiest for Noah. As we don't have any health conditions to worry about and little in the way of fussiness I am able to avoid Nestle-Purina, MARS, Proctor and Gamble or Colgate-Palmolive.

I would love a free-range wet food that fits into my budget, I'm afraid Noah eats battery meat which I'd never buy for myself tho we both have free-range eggs.  >:( In a clumsy attempt to balance things out I've virtually given up meat myself, but I can't say I am entirely happy with the way things are. May I ask why not rabbit, is it to do with myxomatosis? As a former pharmacy technician my stance on drug testing on animals is that it's a necessary evil .... bring on the day that we have viable alternatives tho.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2010, 19:19:00 PM »
James wellbeloved sell one called Pure Indulgents (their spelling) it is little cubes of dried fish with parsley - nothing added

http://www.wellbeloved.com/products/natural_cat_food/pure_indulgents.aspx

I tghink I bought mine in PAH

Couldnt pay my lot to eat those! Overpriced too

The food says it is just cooked salmon 6 x 100g for about £3. I would only give her 1/2 a pouch max. She loves red salmon and often turns her nose up at pink so we shall see  :evillaugh:

Its quite moussey not like real salmon in texture, however it smells like the real stuff  :sick:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 02:48:49 AM »
They sound too salty for cats I think. Especially cats with renal issues  :scared:

The other day, I had a bag on Sainsbury's wine gums. Kylie was very interested. I tried to trick her by opening the fish treats but she was having none of it. I decided to let her smell a wine gum and thought she would be on her way. Instead, she started licking it and she carried on for a few minutes until OH told me off  :-[
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 02:50:20 AM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 17:07:19 PM »
Joe Inglis has a recipe for treats in his Feline Feasts book which sounds very simple - just bacon wrapped around cheese cubes and baked until cheese melts, then allowed to harden again

I daren't try them myself as they sound very much like a human treat to me :sneaky:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline spud

• Adult Cat
    • A Coombs Est. 1934
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 11:53:00 AM »
I have been making my own, we got a little treat book and have been baking in the evening lol. No BHT BHA ethoxyquin no cheap fillers real tuna! Hurrah. Problem is when you bake them you tend to get about 600 .... lol Spud doesn't mind one bit!

Next on the list is cheesy chasers!

Shall I post a receipe?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 11:20:52 AM »
What's your thoughts about Burns, I think those are the ones I don't stock.

Is it the high rice content?

I won't touch Burns because I've had very bad experiences with them. I haven't tried the cat food and if it's like the dog food .. you couldn't pay me to use it. The rice content of the dog food is going up and up and up, so much so that their latest range is something like 60-70% rice and another is 73% Maize  :tired: and the prices are going up too - between £45 and £50 for 15Kg. That's an expensive bag of rice or maize  :tired:

Because of their ingredients and obscene lack of protein and fat a lot of dogs are doing very, very badly on it. Loss of condition, weight loss, rubbish coats, Coprophagia. Then they stop eating .. probably because they know it's no good for them. Some won't eat it full stop. Some become ravenously hungry and just scavenge like crazy. Some dogs do well on it, but I've lost count of the amount of cases I've seen and heard of - it's far too many!!

This says it all really  :scared:

My Dog/Cat has Dry, Flaky Skin. Does he need more oil in his diet?

NO! Dry, flaky skin (dandruff or scurf) is a sign that there is an excess of waste matter in the system. It is rarely a sign that anything is lacking in the diet. The solution is to feed a high quality diet in smaller amounts. This will enable the body to eliminate the waste matter and the skin condition will then improve.

I'll start using them when they improve their food and a) stop including so much rice b) bring the price down and c) stop saying everything is due to a built up of waste/toxins.

That is terrible for a brand that sells itself on the fact that it is owned by a vet.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 11:19:42 AM »
I just had a look on CSJ and they have Fish Treats .. 95% cod 5% brown rice. I know it says dogs but nothing in there a cat can't eat http://www.csjk9.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=38&idcategory=10#details

It's kind of annoying really in that so many companies offer a variety of dog treats - there are countless pet bakery type places popping up with all sorts of yummy home made, delicious and good treats. None of them are doing it for cats though  :-:

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 11:12:36 AM »

I won't touch Burns because I've had very bad experiences with them. I haven't tried the cat food and if it's like the dog food .. you couldn't pay me to use it. The rice content of the dog food is going up and up and up, so much so that their latest range is something like 60-70% rice and another is 73% Maize  :tired: and the prices are going up too - between £45 and £50 for 15Kg. That's an expensive bag of rice or maize  :tired:

Because of their ingredients and obscene lack of protein and fat a lot of dogs are doing very, very badly on it. Loss of condition, weight loss, rubbish coats, Coprophagia. Then they stop eating .. probably because they know it's no good for them. Some won't eat it full stop. Some become ravenously hungry and just scavenge like crazy. Some dogs do well on it, but I've lost count of the amount of cases I've seen and heard of - it's far too many!!

This says it all really  :scared:

My Dog/Cat has Dry, Flaky Skin. Does he need more oil in his diet?

NO! Dry, flaky skin (dandruff or scurf) is a sign that there is an excess of waste matter in the system. It is rarely a sign that anything is lacking in the diet. The solution is to feed a high quality diet in smaller amounts. This will enable the body to eliminate the waste matter and the skin condition will then improve.

I'll start using them when they improve their food and a) stop including so much rice b) bring the price down and c) stop saying everything is due to a built up of waste/toxins.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 11:07:41 AM »
I'm sure you could make anything a treat - if they know they aren't supposed to have it, they want it!  :evillaugh:

A small bag of Applaws will go a long way  :shify:

I think Rob buys the cheese treats from Zooplus that come in a sweet jar - I am tempted but the only real treat eater here is Kylie and I don't want to encourage her.

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 11:03:03 AM »
My boys want to move in with you Spud , they think that the level an amount of treats at yours sounds FAR better than here! ;)

Offline spud

• Adult Cat
    • A Coombs Est. 1934
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 10:47:16 AM »

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 10:10:21 AM »
Burns do dried fish skins - think its 200g for around £4. I have major issues with Burns though.

Fish for cats do bags of star shaped biscuity treats for around £1.25 not sure if its 125g worth.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 09:55:35 AM »
I ordered a box of their salmon food for Alice with my VetUK order - not sure if they sell the treats as well.

The food says it is just cooked salmon 6 x 100g for about £3. I would only give her 1/2 a pouch max. She loves red salmon and often turns her nose up at pink so we shall see  :evillaugh:

I have tried giving mine "good girl" fish treats - they are dried spratts or something and usually come in their xmas stocking but my lot just turn their noses up at those.

James Burn also have a dry fish treat.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 09:57:17 AM by Mark »

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 09:17:42 AM »
Fish for cats are good (fish4cats.com). I'm sure the fish skins would go down well with cats .. They do a packet of small pieces. Memphis is fascinated by them, but they are too hard for him to get his teeth into ... In all fairness though, he puts no effort into it. Plus he does try with the really big pieces.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 08:57:54 AM »
You can buy thrive in big pots http://www.swallowhealthydiet.com/thrive-cat-treats-chicken-220g-pouch-p-838.html

So works out around £80 Kg for dried chicken  :Crazy:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 08:37:57 AM »
I like nature's menu treats as they are 70% meat like the food.  Thrive to freeze dried chicken and prawns which go down well here.  They are sold in tubes and I used to get them from PAH but not had them for a while so don't know if they still sell them.  We are goig through a dreamies phase here at the moment, unhealthy though they are.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 07:54:19 AM »
At the end of the day, I will give them (within reason) what they will eat. I do give them chicken but only free-range. I wish I could find a free-range wet food they would eat. I wouldn't feed them rabbit. I am very anti-IAMS but Clapton is refusing to eat RC or Hill's Renal food so I have ordered others, including Eukanaba. I hate the idea but I don't want my cats' health to suffer for my own principles (although I still don't knowingly buy P&G products, including things like Pringles)
Any animal drugs have been tested in high doses on other animals so should people deny their animals flea & worm treatment or any other meds? - it is a tricky one. I just think we have to do what we can but be prepared to compromise. Fortekor was tested on cats at 8 x dose and on dogs at 50 x dose. I hate the idea of that but I am sure Clapton would be dead by now if he hadn't been on his meds for the last 3 years+

It's really hard when you are trying to do the right thing. When Clapton had his last bloods done, the vet said his phosphate levels were "significant but not life threatening" and to watch them. I am trying to do my best, even mixing supermeat into renal food and adding binders to get him to eat it (without much luck). The only binders he will have are calcium-based (Ipakitine) then I read things about too much calcium being harmful. It really is hard to do what's best.
I can't give him much fresh meat because as natural as it is, it is high phosphorus.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 08:06:01 AM by Mark »

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 07:47:28 AM »
have you tried natures menu treats? theyre the only commercial treat lucifer will regularly eat and he tends to turn his nose up at anything obviously junk foody.
ingredients state- "min 95% meat and animal derivatives, minerals and various sugers,contains EC permitted preservatives and antioxidants"
in my opinion that counts as healthy but feel free to correct me  ;)

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 00:26:36 AM »
Mark JWB is a MARS company! :doh:

My poor Noah doesn't get any commercial treats, I looked at the price per kilo and nearly fainted ... Instead he has half a raw chicken wing, or a chunk of bone in rabbit, or 50g frozen prawns, all of which make him purr. :Luv:
Lulu's Catbook

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 22:38:44 PM »
James wellbeloved sell one called Pure Indulgents (their spelling) it is little cubes of dried fish with parsley - nothing added

http://www.wellbeloved.com/products/natural_cat_food/pure_indulgents.aspx

I tghink I bought mine in PAH

Offline spud

• Adult Cat
    • A Coombs Est. 1934
Wanted new cat treats
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 22:18:02 PM »
We currently do all the boring unhealthy whiskas, dreamies couple felix treats but I don't want big brand I want a small company that cares to make the treats.

I like thrive, star fish fish4cats, rattle and reward, beaphar. But I want more any ideas?

Link to CatChat