Author Topic: what shall i do  (Read 4070 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: what shall i do
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2007, 18:28:21 PM »
The cattery looks lovely cosmic.
You better book before they fill up, lol

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2007, 13:08:21 PM »
Stripping old wallpaper

Whats wallpaper?

:shify: we are the same, I am determined that when we buy our first house we wil have NO WALLPAPER and just painted walls as the cats terrorise it (especially textured wallpaper which is ALL over our rented house right now!!)

Luckily we have an understanding landlord!!!

Last time we moved though, we only had little Cheese so next time will be such an upheaval (especially as we will be moving over an hour away - again!) Hopefully we will have a spare room to do what Helen did  ;D

God just talking about it makes me want to MOVE! lol

Good luck by the way  :Luv:
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2007, 12:59:20 PM »
i think setting aside will they be more or less stressed going straight to new house or not the biggest and most important thing to consider is a cat with asthma. I am sure no vet would recommend such an animal being in a house that is being totally replastered and speaking from experience even if their room gets kept shut and you tape up all round the door dust particles will STILL GET IN THERE  (>:( yes speaking from bitter experience LOL)

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2007, 11:31:02 AM »
oh its so awful
if they got let out i would DIE , inlaws will be in and out all day too lapping it up lol
and they dont really care about if they let the cats out , mango has never been out in her life and i would kill them

if it wasnt for the plastering i would keep them  with us if only decorating ,but still not sure , ill wait for the cattery to mail me back for a chat i supose i could pick em up early if we got finished early

good luck with your move if its only 10 days you should beable to let me know how you got on lol

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2007, 23:53:29 PM »
When I moved I cleared out the spare room (was pretty empty to begin with) and put Tiggy's food, water, tray and a comfy fleece in there.  I then put 3 pages of A4 paper with the biggest font I could find - DO NOT ENTER - CAT INSIDE, I then briefed the removal men that if they so much as touched the door handle I would personally castrate them - I think they got the message  :evillaugh: 

I left Tiggy in the old house while I sorted out the spare room in the new house and then moved her into the new spare room after all the stuff had already been put into the new house so no more upheaval for her.  She settled so quickly and was strutting round her new home in no time at all.  Good luck to everyone who is moving soon, I don't envy you in the slightest!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 00:12:29 AM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline Paws

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2007, 22:40:47 PM »
When we moved last Summer we kept our cats with us the whole time. We did A LOT of DIY and I was worried about them as they are both elderly and like their comforts! However, I was surprised to see that they really seemed to enjoy all the mess! I think they found it all a bit of an adventure - particularly loving all the boxex! Not sure about the astma with yours though... You know your cats best..

Offline lynne

• Adult Cat
  • Ziggy (9 yrs old)
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2007, 22:32:02 PM »
snap!!  I too am due to move in 10 days time ( easter time ) and dont know what to do for the best.  Take Zig with us, and lock in him a room, cattery for the day, or ask if he can go to my mums for the day. *sigh*

Moving is so stressful, and I dont want to worry about zig getting out etc... I think I am going to ask if he can go to my mums for the day.  It will be stressful for him whatever we decide to do I think, but I will take heart that he will be secure there and not get out and lost if someone accidentally leaves a door open in our new place.

Good luck whatever you decide

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2007, 20:37:59 PM »
http://www.cameronscatlodge.co.uk/find.htm    this is were moomin and mango go while we are away , they share a chalet have loads of toys scratching posts and lot sof love and attention , although moomin hissed at them for a wk mango lapped it up and when i went to pick em up after there 2 wk stay last yr they didnt seem bothered and went to the lady  :shy:  she kept mangos eyes cleaned and coat groomed and it is FAB it takes 30 mins to get there but its worth it

i think i have changed my mind and they are going stight there and will fetch them to the new home asap as we can . that way all there stuff will be in there and should feel more like home

i will miss them too much and cry , i can ring everyday though and pick them up if there a prob . i am a bit obsessive , when we went abroad last yr i found computers and kept emailing them , i bet they think im mad

thankyou all for your help its apprieciated , i think if i make them come while we are having the work done it will stress them out and put mangos breathing at risk and she hasnt had a attack in 2 and half month now

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2007, 16:27:58 PM »
When my mum put her cats in the cattery the lady said missus never came out of the bed area at all,

Sometimes I find that until a cat knows you they seem to come out and play at night, the evidence is there. When I get a cat who likes to stay in their hooded bed I go and sit in the pen talk to the gently and spend extra time with them, usually then they come round very quickly.

Some catteries are just a business and will feed and change trays but not all spend quality time with the cats although they would not admit to that. I know one cattery where when you take a cat you put it in a lovely pen. When you have gone the cat is moved to a place not so salubrious, very bad in my opinion.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

ccmacey

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2007, 16:21:46 PM »
Do any of your cats keep themselves to themselves?

When my mum put her cats in the cattery the lady said missus never came out of the bed area at all, missus didnt like much of a fuss.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2007, 16:03:58 PM »
Tbh if they're going to the cattery for 1 week they may as well go for 2.

I would agree, it sometimes take a day or so for them to be completely at home then it is often like they have never lived anywhere else and they usually love the hand that feeds them. Sad for an owner to hear but true.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2007, 15:57:32 PM »
Tbh if they're going to the cattery for 1 week they may as well go for 2.  I think they often do better at catteries if they're there for longer as they have time to get over the initial upset and get used to the cattery routine before the upheaval of coming home.  I doubt they'll actually know the difference between 1 and 2 weeks as I don't think cats have the same concept of time as we do.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 15:54:43 PM »
cattery definately, esp if you are having work done on it and doors being opened and closed plus your going to be stressed and busy so better all round if they go to cattery i think.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 15:50:16 PM »
Stripping old wallpaper

Whats wallpaper? We haven't had any for so long I have forgotten. We used to get something called Novamura or something like that, it was soft and warm to the touch you could more or less squeeze it in a ball and then straighten it up again (before pasting on the walls of course). We had to decorate and patch up so many times as the cats loved it, in the end we just gave up on wallpaper for the sake of peace and harmony.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2007, 15:40:23 PM »
Will they cope with moving house & then moving again to the cattery a few days later?

Stripping old wallpaper is as dusty as the plastering, least it was in our house, lumps of old plaster came off with it!!

Ultimately you know your kittys best, mine are all nutters lol

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 21:01:23 PM »
we will be moving everything ourselves too  :wow:

i think cause we have to plaster the whole house then we are going to move just our beds sofa a tv in
put the rest of out stuff in the big garage
strip off  the awful wallpaper which might take a few days

then put them in the cattery for a wk while the plaster is done and dry and skirts on and carpets down  then they can come back ( we can paint a room at a time ) mangos asthma is the most important thing  , otherwise they will be in the cattery 2 wk  :'( i cant stand that

it will be hard i will be telling everyone to keep te door shut but if i put our bed in and the litter tray , least they will be there to have a cuddle with

they are chipped i will have to change the address

dont know how moomin will go withthe litter tray i am worried about that as she will not use one , she used to wee next to it as a kitten and had no probs when we let her out i might wait to get the new carpets untill her imprsonment is over 

just have to find a babysitter for the toddlers for the day an somewere for us to sleep while the plaster drys  :( its soooooo stressful

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 20:12:22 PM »
We put Paddy in the spare room with a litter tray.  He settled in very quickly, and he's a cat that doesn't like change much.....

ccmacey

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 19:06:32 PM »
Removal men, gosh thats posh. Me and my OH moved our things.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 18:58:22 PM »
I shut 2 of them in the kitchen and one in the attic with ordedr for the removal men to keep the front door closed. Needless to say it fell on deaf ears! - If you can, I would say make the bed up with used sheets and some othe worn clothes around so they have familiar smells. I think a cattery wold be more stressful for them.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

ccmacey

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 18:51:07 PM »
Yeah and you end up constantly shouting close the door, lol

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 18:48:56 PM »
If/when I move (hoping to soon but I've been saying that for about 2 years  :rofl: ) I plan to put mine in the cattery for a few days then take them straight to the new house.  I think being shut in a room with a lot of moving going on around them will be very stressful and there's always the chance the removals people will open the door and let them out.  I think I'd find moving marginally less stressful if I didn't have to worry about the cats too.  I suppose it depends a lot on what you think will be the least stressful option for your 2.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 17:17:14 PM »
When we moved we just had the one and he came with us and was put in one room whilst all the unpacking happened. We didnt do a big DIY job tho.
I would use a cattery in this circumstance, kittybabe is right about the plaster dust, it gets everywhere and is a butter to clean!

Have you got your girls chipped? As your moving it would be a good idea to do so if they aren't. (making sure the right address is on there!)
If you can manage 4 weeks in regards to keeping Moomin in it would be good.

Good luck with your move, its exciting isnt it!

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 16:56:08 PM »
Cosmic I feel for you. I am in a similar boat. If all goes well with my sale we'll be leaving our house soon as well, but we have made the decision that Lexy will stay with my sister during the move. She will go before we start packing, and she will be picked up after we have unpacked and removed boxes.

Having moved her into this house a week after we moved in a year ago, and then proceeded to move furniture, plaster the living room etc etc, redecorate and disturb her home essentially for a few months, she didn't settle well into the house as she could have. She still has nerves about going to the back of the house. She prefers the front of the house.

I would recommend the cats don't stay in the house. The plaster dust gets into everything, even in parts of the house where the plastering isn't happening. If Moomin has asthma then the dust particles will disturb her.

I know sometimes its not practical to do this, but if you can keep the cats out of the house, even a cattery, the moving process won't stress them as much as leaving them in the house when all the goings on are happening. It is very stressful for cats, even when you are moving things in the house, boxes everywhere. This is only my opinion of course, but I know which one I would choose.

ccmacey

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 16:37:58 PM »
When I moved I just put all my cats in 1 room then worked around them, I think your cats would be more stressed being away from home and then going to a new home and also save your money they will be fine. I also think when the cats see you bringing all of your stuff into the house this settles them so they know your coming to.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 16:35:14 PM »
Personally I'd put them in a cattery for a week or so.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
what shall i do
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 16:27:48 PM »
we are moveing home in the next 4 wk and i was wondering what to do about moomin and mango

shall i put them in the cattery for a few days or just put them in the new houses bedroom wi a litter tray

we have to have the new house plastered throughout after about a wk so thought it would be better to put them in the cattey then because of the dust ( mango as asthma )

dont know how moomin will take it as she hates staying in and will not use a litter tray , i know i have to keep her in the new house for a couple of wks though so she doesnt get lost

Link to CatChat