Author Topic: Advice welcome  (Read 3736 times)

Offline Amanda

• Adult Cat
Re: Advice welcome
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2010, 19:16:01 PM »
Thank you all so much for your thoughts and advice.

Well ...... this morning I opened the front door to put out some rubbish and Dru was out like an exorcet missile  :sneaky:

Thirty minutes later after lots of hunting I found her on the roof (flat roofed building) which is where the pigeons hang out. :innocent: - of course - silly me - where else would the fantastic hunter go.

Have spoken with a neighbour who also has a cat and she says her cat goes in and out at will through the cat flap. Because we are some distance back from the road she says it has never been an issue so that sounds positive.

I let her out for about 20 mins when I got back from work this afternoon - she wasn't out too long as it was cold and still snowing a bit (she likes her comforts does my girl). The balcony is toitally cat proof because of the pigeons here so she could access that freely but I know it's not the same as a free reign to wander.

Currently she is reclined on the top of the welsh dresser - settled and purring but not happy about the Sainsbury's cat food as opposed to Felix "As Good as it Looks". Credit crunch is now affecting her too.....
"Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it"
Ferris Bueller

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2010, 19:55:19 PM »
My best friend cat went out when she lived next to me out of town . when her and her husband split up she moved into a one bedroom  top floor flat with her cat and she just kept her inside from then on. she entertained her and provided her with lots of nice things. Now she lives in a two bedroom rented flat in Glasgow city centre and we lucky is now quite happy being indoors. I definately can work out. entertainment defo helps
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2010, 19:43:27 PM »
I wouldnt take the chance if theres a road near by especially as being upstairs you would have to shut her out. I'd try to 'convert' her to indoor living but if it really didnt work out then if it were me then rehoming would be preferable to risking her on a road.

I agree with this too  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 17:52:38 PM »
I wouldnt take the chance if theres a road near by especially as being upstairs you would have to shut her out. I'd try to 'convert' her to indoor living but if it really didnt work out then if it were me then rehoming would be preferable to risking her on a road.
With time and imagination you can have good results, many will accept outdoor to indoor changes, i hope she stays happy and chilled  ;D

Have a look in the purrs shop  ;)
And for a multi tier cat tree theres a link at the bottom of the page to zooplus, they have loads of different shapes and sizes to fit most rooms

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2010, 13:45:48 PM »
Cats can and do adapt to indoor living - You just have to say no more often and they soon get the message - they may demand more food and attention but we had diet biscuits for treats for a while and all now know when we say no we mean it

I also took on a previous foster 3 years ago who had his human so well trained it was scarey - he came to us as she down sized he then spent 6 months on the inside having had previous access 24/7 and a human who pandered to his every whim - he survived the incarceration and now can be found most days inside all the time and he gets privilages of outside access!

It may be an idea to see about cat proofing the balcony so your wee one can get "outside" access that way

Where there's a will theres a way - and I have A ragdoll who has access during the summmer months but spend the remaining 6 months inside due to having only one coat and she isn't fussed either way still she is the "Blonde" of the family so not sure she notices that much she just has a smaller leaf collection in the winter! :rofl:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 12:43:48 PM »
This thread has gone wildly off topic!

Its question is about an outdoor cat who is now having to live in a flat with a balcolny  :shify: :shify:

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 12:39:52 PM »
I still remember watching a documentary in the late '70's about a man whose job it was to go and shoot ferals. Blubbed all the way through even then....

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 08:52:56 AM »
OMG Jullie, that's just heartbreaking! I too love ferals-looked after some at work for years and visit Cramar cat rescue near Birmingham-they have an amazing feral paddock with over 110 cats in there and heated pens etc. Just brilliant!

My GB (Charlie) was supposed to stay there, but was too scared of so many cats! He'll be 7 in March and has spent all his life outdoors, but has been with me for nearly 9 weeks now and hates this cold weather! I leave the door open for him to go out (and freeze to death myself!) and he'll dash out for 2 minutes , then back again!  He prefers the warmth and comfort now lol!  :rofl:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 08:57:34 AM by Shirley »

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 08:40:32 AM »
I live in a flat and have a cat. I had 2 but Mogs died on NYE. Mogs was a rescue cat who didnt like being outside, didnt like people etc so she was perfect as a house cat. My other cat Amber though was a stray and she took some time to adjust. I had the balcony netted in and she would clime the netting looking for birds which scared me and even now 10 years later I dont dare leave windows open as she has a fascination with them. Im 4 floors up though and scared she would fall.
Amber loves to play with laser pens and will happily play by herself with little mice toys and foil balls. Shes getting on a bit now and doesnt play much but they can adapt
Your hamster doesnt look very bothered by Dru  :evillaugh:
love
Tab

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 08:39:33 AM »
  ' Phot is of 3 feral who had lived outside all their lives till we adopted them 19 months ago as their last resort as someone poisoned their whole colony'

How can anyone do that???? I don't know how they sleep at night!

I'm sure Liz won't mind me saying.... Poisoning and gassing was the standard way many local councils used to deal with feral cats. I certainly remember whole colonies being dispatched this way when I was a child. Even now, many private companies and farmers call in pest control to deal with ferals and many end up drowned in their traps. Pest control people can't get hold of them to give them a nice little injection you see! :tired: That's why people like Liz and I (and other fellow nutcases here who love ferals  :evillaugh: ) do what we do because if we didn't the gassing and poisoning days would return wholesale.  :'(

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 07:55:14 AM »
  ' Phot is of 3 feral who had lived outside all their lives till we adopted them 19 months ago as their last resort as someone poisoned their whole colony'

How can anyone do that???? I don't know how they sleep at night!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 01:00:16 AM »
I think you should change the title to something more helpful cos Wibblechick lives upstairs and has a balcont which her two cats love to go onto and am sure they are protected in some way from bering able to jump out, so sure she could give you a few tips . I know she grows things so you could grow a couple of seed trays of grass.

Trying to think of a title....how about

Moved to a flat with balcony from a house with garden...advice please

You go back to first post and change title there and then put on a new post which will come up with new title and its changed  ;D

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 23:01:46 PM »
Noah recommends a couple of sets of the Bergan Turbo Track for when he is left home alone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIgdVucDeVU
As I only have a flat, our setup is sited in the hallway!

Also if you are having toileting problems you might try a second litter tray as some cats prefer to pee and poop in different places.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 21:33:07 PM »
Pinkbear Julie its 46 Clan Cats presently ;D living in the house with us and several outside who prefer it that way

OH does advise there will be no more but he is due to travel again after february so who knows as Aztec and Maya had their paws well under the table when he came home from Trinidad last November :evillaugh:

Amanda - Phot is of 3 feral who had lived outside all their lives till we adopted them 19 months ago as their last resort as someone poisoned their whole colony

The are the tabby one Miss Cissy now 16 and her kids Ragamuffin the grey and white Fluffy one and Smudger her son both aged 10 - the colony had been well managed by a lovely lady who had documented every cat - they have all been to the vet and pronounced hale and hearty - Cissy and ragamuffin have had dentals and Smudgers teeth were declared fine after he bit my OH Robin through the welding gauntlets! :evillaugh:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 20:43:03 PM »
Well that's good news!  :)

You must have a good council though.  :wow: I'm afraid round here (Dover) you'd only get 2 bedrooms maximum, or if no 2 beds available and the child is female and under 12 you may be expected to share 1 bedroom.  :tired:

Good luck anyway.... there's loads of experienced folks here so stick around and someone is always bound to offer an answer to a problem.   :) :hug:

Offline zoe (tiggy + pipins mum)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 20:38:13 PM »
I have 4 indoor cats here (2 bedroomed house) 2 i got from kittens so have never known any different but patch is an ex Ferel who now loves nothing more than sleeping in her radiator bed & Sooty was abandoned as a kitten so he was outside alot he doesnt mind bein indoors. I have 2 big cat trees & loads of toys & spend 30mins in morning playin with them & 30mins in evening at the least xxx   

Offline Amanda

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 20:33:01 PM »
I think it's also worth knowing that Liz has 40 (40 last count, isn't it, Liz?) cats so therefore has a house a bit bigger than the average 3 bedroom masonette.  :evillaugh: Space is everything.  :innocent:

WOW! And Wow again!  ;D

My three bed is fairly roomy as there is only me, my 7 year old, Dru and the hamster -  although if Dru had her way the hamster would have been supper some time ago.
"Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it"
Ferris Bueller

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 20:15:00 PM »
I think it's also worth knowing that Liz has 40 (40 last count, isn't it, Liz?) cats so therefore has a house a bit bigger than the average 3 bedroom masonette.  :evillaugh: Space is everything.  :innocent:

Offline Amanda

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 20:10:46 PM »
Oh thank you so much Liz - that's really reassuring. I am comforting myself with the fact that just before we moved Dru was staying in much much more as the weather had turned cold so I know she wouldn't be out much even if I was to allow her at present. The summer will be a whole other issue of course.........
Ferris Bueller

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 20:08:10 PM »
Amanda I have house cats only here at the Clan as well as Indoor/outdoor and outdoor only - Our house cats range fro  16 years young to 4 coming up 6 months - they tend to be active in the evening as they tend to sleep most of the day when we are at work - they don't cope well without a full days sleep as the bad weather has proved as all of ours have been grounded due to the 3 foot of snow currently in situ

Ours do love the laser pen and will chase the red dot for hours!  We tend to do as you are doing and in the end you just have to say no - we have had many hours of teh NO word and all now even go to the right end of the house for grounding in the morning!

Most of our indoors are former feral cats and they have never shown any interest after a time of ever wanting to go out again - we have tried to return several ferals back out and they refuse to go - something about the food I think and the heating of course - it is a great life change for them but if kept active then they can adapt if you put in the time the reward will be worth it

We have a toy hamster in a ball ours are very fond of since the demise of the goldfish - old age not cat intervention and ours of cousrse have their own pets our 2 Border Collies!

Offline Amanda

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 20:00:28 PM »
Thank you for that Julie. If I did make the decision to re-home her it would definitely be through a rescue place rather than a fee ad - and yes although it would be hard I would be able to do so if I thought she could have a better and happier life. 

I am home a fair bit and do interact with her while I am home - we have plenty of cat toys and she can also get up onto high furniture (welsh dresser) which has a good view of the road. I am also putting bits of food all over the place so she can hunt it out. I won't mention her harrassment of the hamster  :evillaugh: who is about to have a new cage which is  - ahem - slightly more cat proof.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 20:08:10 PM by Amanda »
Ferris Bueller

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 18:39:19 PM »
To suddenly confine a cat which has been used to unlimited outside access can be hard, but it can also work if you put the ground work in. Invest in lots of toys, think about the need for stimulation and the need to burn off energy. They will also need extra time spent with them. In general cats which are left for long hours on their own can get into trouble. So interactive things will be good. Have you tried Da Bird (available from the Purrs shop.)? Think about the dietry aspect as well. Cats often eat a blade or two of grass to aid digestion so a tray of cat grass may need to be provided... or you can buys biscuits which have the added nutrients.

If you do decide to allow puss some outside time, make sure it's always with your supervision at first. Maybe use a harness to begin with?

From experience of rescue (which I've been doing a long time now) a cat which fails to adapt to an indoor only life after outside access is perhaps the most heart breaking. Especially with cats who develop an illness or disability and need to be kept in for safety reasons. Such cats can end up PTS for their own sake as they can suffer mentally and the quality of life become intolerable.  :(

So it's hard to know what to advice without knowing your puss's character, the dangers of your area and what obstacles you now have...other than whatever you do, think of the cat first rather than a sense of loyalty which may be too emotional and not founded in common sense. It may be that rehoming is the correct route for puss's future happiness and long term security so you do need to concider this option as a possibility if things don't work.  :hug: :hug:

I would say if you do decide to go with the rehoming route, please go for a good rescue who will carry out all the necessary home checks and apply a minimum standard of care. Please don't resort to Free Ads as I really would worry about where puss may end up.  :(

Offline Amanda

• Adult Cat
Advice welcome
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 17:58:10 PM »
Hello all, I hope someone can advise me with this as I want to help my cat adjust a bit.

I recently moved house as the local council housed me after a long wait. I was in privately rented accommodation before which was horrendously expensive and so I am grateful for my cheaper home and certainly needed it. However, with council housing it is always "luck of the draw" and I have been housed in an upper floor three bedroom maisonette - no garden and rather near a busy road. The result of this is that my 2 year old Tortie has had to go from bei ng an outdoor cat to an indoor cat - something I had hoped to avoid as she just LOVES going out. Currently all I have is a balcony which she can access but is not the same as the garden and the run of the area she had before. We have gone back to a litter tray which she uses but which I have to keep utterly clean - if I miss a clean she will poo elsewhere - usually on a bed! :shocked:

My Mum thinks I should re-home her but I would really rather not do this - not because I want her to miss out on an outdoor life but more because I couldn't guarentee where she'd end up, having had her since 12 weeks I have raised her to expect rather a lot of home comforts and fussing :Luv2: and she is very loved. She is an absolutely beautiful cat in temprement and we adore her so just want to make her life a bit more stimulated.

Should I take the chance and let her out? There ARE cats locally who I see outside and they seem to avoid the road alright. On the other hand her brother (who is my profile picture) was killed on the road at 7 months :'( so I know first hand how horrible that is.
 Here she is below - my beloved Drusilla (Droosie)

« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 18:23:22 PM by Amanda »
Ferris Bueller

Link to CatChat