Author Topic: i am looking for a great cat picture.....Pastel has commenced WIP  (Read 28258 times)

Offline kel1982

• Adult Cat
Re: i am looking for a great cat picture.....Pastel has commenced
« Reply #162 on: February 02, 2010, 11:48:09 AM »
he is isnt he, even with his tongue poking out after he just woke up  :rofl:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #161 on: February 02, 2010, 11:46:40 AM »
Mr Dudley is gorgeous  ;D

Offline kel1982

• Adult Cat
« Reply #160 on: February 02, 2010, 11:45:37 AM »
Mr Dudley  :Luv:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #159 on: February 02, 2010, 00:35:16 AM »
Your artistic lecense allows you to portray Winston as you 'see' him  :rofl:

Quite right! I know you want your painting to look exactly like the photo - but a painting isnt an exact copy. Of course, you want to get everything in the right place LOL! - but from that, comes your interpretation of Winston, thats what makes artists artists after all. I mean if you got lots of artists to all draw a picture of the same thing, all the pictures would look different, but they would still all look like the thing they drew - if you catch my drift?!!

Oh yes that is absolutely right and no I dont want an exact copy of him but I need less artistic licence at the moment and more looking like winston  :shify: :shify:

Getting the nose in the right place in relation to the eyes hopefully will sort it   :innocent:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #158 on: February 01, 2010, 22:49:50 PM »
Your artistic lecense allows you to portray Winston as you 'see' him  :rofl:

Quite right! I know you want your painting to look exactly like the photo - but a painting isnt an exact copy. Of course, you want to get everything in the right place LOL! - but from that, comes your interpretation of Winston, thats what makes artists artists after all. I mean if you got lots of artists to all draw a picture of the same thing, all the pictures would look different, but they would still all look like the thing they drew - if you catch my drift?!!

Offline Mollys Slave

• Senior Cat
« Reply #157 on: February 01, 2010, 17:18:11 PM »
you are not getting any  :rofl:

I started it again on Thursday from scratch and its bigger and still rubbish...have to move the nose up again, did it once on Thursday , cos Winston is looking like a tiger not a persian LOL.

I am hoping with that change and also moving it slightly across will solve the problem.

It wouldnt be so bad but peeps in class thought it looked like the photo and now its home and I walk past it every time I go up stairs, its definately wrong.......wish they would just tell the truth!

Even my teach is wrong about it and just adding long fur will not do it.........if I can get it starting to resemble Winston I will take a photo but until then..................no LOL

If I cant get him much better on Thursday then probably will leave it for a while and start a different cat!

At least you are able to give it a bash -  and at least are attempting - you'll find your zone when you least expect it - then there will be no holding your back.  Your artistic lecense allows you to portray Winston as you 'see' him  :rofl:

STOP pulling yourself down woman!!!!    I imagine you are a lot better than you may think you are.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #156 on: February 01, 2010, 16:57:51 PM »
you are not getting any  :rofl:

I started it again on Thursday from scratch and its bigger and still rubbish...have to move the nose up again, did it once on Thursday , cos Winston is looking like a tiger not a persian LOL.

I am hoping with that change and also moving it slightly across will solve the problem.

It wouldnt be so bad but peeps in class thought it looked like the photo and now its home and I walk past it every time I go up stairs, its definately wrong.......wish they would just tell the truth!

Even my teach is wrong about it and just adding long fur will not do it.........if I can get it starting to resemble Winston I will take a photo but until then..................no LOL

If I cant get him much better on Thursday then probably will leave it for a while and start a different cat!

Offline Mollys Slave

• Senior Cat
« Reply #155 on: February 01, 2010, 16:49:06 PM »
We DEMAND  W.I.P. piccies.   ;)

Please!  ;D

How is it moving along Gill?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #154 on: January 26, 2010, 02:23:34 AM »
On the art forum I'm on, we show 'work in progress' and describe what colours we used, how we are achieving what we are achieving, or not, as the case may be LOL!  (well, when I see 'we' - actually some of the others do, I just watch and read LOL!) So maybe we can have WIP on this thread Gill  ;)

I would love a  WIP update/report on this thread.    My father was a wonderfully talented artist ,,,,,,,,,,,,

I think that rules me out  :rofl: :rofl:

Yes MS you have the right idea and it is about watching it come to life and that was one thing I was worried about cos didnt know if peeps would expect it to look sorta finished at the beginning  :scared:

The painting starts with the eyes in animals and thats why I know its not right, once the eyes are right then the rest goes on around it and the shades all start light and then get built on.

I have a part drawing I started on Friday and the pastel that was started on Thursday and ironically they are about the same size........I dont know why that is cos wanted them both bigger! Have to say that pencil is so much easier once in full flow cos its getting the colours that often make it start to go wrong.

will think about talkng a photo of each tomorrow although they are both fairly light so dont know how they will come out, just for you MS  :innocent:

Just have to say that when I did Zephyr and Timothy I was so emotionally attached to them after a certain point and so much work, there was no way I could sell either......well if someone wanted them  :rofl: :rofl:

I tried to get Zephyr into a show where the paintings had to be priced for sale and had advisors telling me the price to put on him that put him at the top end to hopefully stop him being sold....he wasnt selected for the show in the end but I was ill for two weeks till I heard I could go and collect him and what a relief to have him back in my possession  ;D I think I grinned all the way back home  ;D ;D

Offline Mollys Slave

• Senior Cat
« Reply #153 on: January 25, 2010, 18:15:50 PM »
On the art forum I'm on, we show 'work in progress' and describe what colours we used, how we are achieving what we are achieving, or not, as the case may be LOL!  (well, when I see 'we' - actually some of the others do, I just watch and read LOL!) So maybe we can have WIP on this thread Gill  ;)

I would love a  WIP update/report on this thread.    My father was a wonderfully talented artist - I am pushed to draw a stick man, I missed out on the good genes I think!.   Something I always have envied, the ability to draw and craft-  I cross stich but seeing a picture being drawn, watching it come to life by hand, it's a true talent and you either 'have it or you don't.

I agree with Mary - you should not be so hard on yourself.  High 'self expetactions' are fine and dandy - but don't pull yourself down.  You have a talent many of us, me for sure, are very envious of.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #152 on: January 25, 2010, 14:26:17 PM »
I do agree with your last comment CC and this was not about who was most handsome to be honest but about which picture would most likely work for a pastel by an artist in training  :rofl: :rofl:

I think every cat was without exception wonderful and love all cats as you know and think there will be more than one pastel.....no, I know there will be...................its just some will be easier than others and Winston was chosen cos of the quality of the picture and the challenge to said artist who actually would love to be doing Marley right now  :rofl: :rofl:

Marley would also be hard to do and the quality of the photo is brill cos as a black cat often looks like a black blob, this picture has all the colours in that go to make up black and dont think Sue was looking at that, just that he was really square on and looking into the picture. Mosi who I have loads of pics of wasnt as shaded in colour as others but have not ruled out any cat that was on the thread to be honest..........nobody is safe  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #151 on: January 25, 2010, 13:58:14 PM »
Well done Winston, I remember him from the photo comp what a lovely boy  :Luv2:

I know what you mean Manc cat, the pics of my Ollie hardly ever show his real handsomeness  :shy:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #150 on: January 25, 2010, 13:45:34 PM »
A WIP lol ummmmmmmmmm..........will think about it but am very shy with WIP or even finished LOL.

I know in Swansea they cant resist trying to tell you to do this or that , when you have only just started although with me they have moreorless given up cos they dont understand what I am doing most of the time  :rofl: :rofl:

Have to say there are currently two maybe 3 people trying to do things as I have done but they just dont get it............each person is different and although you may see things you like or pick up tips, it doesnt always work with another persons way of working.

Am still walking past Winston many times a day and thinking, and current thought is that Sue who cannot resist dabbling , especially in pastel, does not understand cats eyes and she has made the eye she moved for me far too human and cats eyes are not the same as ours.

I am fast getting to the thought that the best way to do this is to start again and do it bigger as I was trying to the first time.......I am not doing this as freely as usual and just need to go for it! Its the usual problem  the more you think you know, the harder it is to do things cos you start to imprison yourself.

Yes am very self critical Mary and no artist is happy with what they have done, although somethings look better with time  :rofl: :rofl:

Whats the forum Gillian?

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #149 on: January 25, 2010, 13:33:16 PM »

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #148 on: January 24, 2010, 23:28:43 PM »
Maybe you're trying too hard Gill and putting yourself down for no reason.

You'll get there chuck.

Mary  :hug:
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #147 on: January 24, 2010, 23:22:42 PM »
I imagine the faces you have pulled while doing this pic would win you many a gurning contest!  :naughty: :rofl: :hug: :hug:

Do what you feel you need to.....You know its at your own pace and you will get there Im sure!  :Luv2:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #146 on: January 24, 2010, 14:29:45 PM »
At present the pastel is only attacked once a week on a thursaday and on thursday will have to decide whether to start all over again cos can see some real differnces on the drawing to the pastel and really wnat him bigger and that will make him easier to do.....maybe!  :shify:

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #145 on: January 23, 2010, 15:41:52 PM »
Hows the Pastel coming along now Gill??
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #144 on: January 23, 2010, 14:56:05 PM »
Dave is shocked that anyone can resist his handsome charms :shify:

I on the other hand am saying well done to Winston, a well deserved winner :Luv:

Offline Mollys Slave

• Senior Cat
« Reply #143 on: January 23, 2010, 14:48:53 PM »
Well done to Winston!   ;D   Some of the pics on here were fab, the ginger kittens' photos were superb (can't remember who without looking back on thread).

Molly has retired to her basket since the news, I noticed though that when she was making her way to her bed, that she tripped over her petted lip several times.    :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #142 on: January 22, 2010, 09:19:50 AM »
Nova will be chuffed he was in the running

Offline Baby British

• Adult Cat
« Reply #141 on: January 22, 2010, 09:10:40 AM »
Marley is shocked but thrilled that you liked one of his pictures too :)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #140 on: January 21, 2010, 23:36:46 PM »
So Winston in pastels will be ready by March 2011  :evillaugh: :rofl:

Good luck Gill - lots of detail there for you and I believe I can see a relection of a window or something in his eye - don't forget to capture that too  :naughty: :rofl: :hug:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #139 on: January 21, 2010, 23:31:58 PM »
I know it will take time Gilly, please dont rush for our sakes!! (yes my usual added sark lol!)  :evillaugh:

I admire you though for having a shot....I used to be able to draw when I was younger, just lost the knack for it now....Maybe I need to regain my childseye view!  :sneaky: :evillaugh: :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #138 on: January 21, 2010, 23:29:18 PM »
:wow: Well Done Winston..... Gill I hope you love a challenge!  :evillaugh: :hug: :hug:

Would love to see the outcome, will you put it in the Gallery Gilly or on this thread?  :sneaky: :Luv2:

at present the only place for it is the dustbin  :rofl: :rofl:

however will see what can be done to change the eyes again.........sigh

dont expect it any time soon, i like to take my time over these things  ;D

i am thinking of drawing it first now to see if i can sot out the eyes  :innocent:

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #137 on: January 21, 2010, 20:22:51 PM »
Looking forward to seeing pastel ;D

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #136 on: January 21, 2010, 20:18:38 PM »
 :wow: Well Done Winston..... Gill I hope you love a challenge!  :evillaugh: :hug: :hug:

Would love to see the outcome, will you put it in the Gallery Gilly or on this thread?  :sneaky: :Luv2:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #135 on: January 21, 2010, 19:09:16 PM »
Winston is very honoured to be "The Chosen One " :rofl:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 22:25:33 PM by bunglycat »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #134 on: January 21, 2010, 19:07:41 PM »
Oh dear and she is so lovely  ;D

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #133 on: January 21, 2010, 19:05:35 PM »
Sage showing her disdain that she wasn't chosen.... :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 19:06:22 PM by JackSpratt »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #132 on: January 21, 2010, 18:34:30 PM »
my goodness i am out of practice with pastels lol

sue chose two pictures and i picked one of them and am already regetting it lol.

its turning out to be very hard and cant get the eyes right after 3 hrs!

who is it? well it was between winston and nova and i decided to go with winstons head...i wanted tp do a ginger and now think......why on earth cos there is no ginger pastel and not only are the eyes not right but also not happy with the colour lol.

its not coming out as big as i wanted either and feel like starting all over again!

the frustrations of art,

my own favorite because this is one of the best pictures of a black cat i have seen is marley and am thinking of starting him now lol.

however think a number of cats will be done but what order they will be finished in is another matter altogether  :rofl:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: i am looking for a great cat picture
« Reply #131 on: January 16, 2010, 01:01:01 AM »
I have had to print the pictures today cos may not get another chance....yes pleasee email me the picture  :innocent:

The sad news is that the machines are so limiting and because most did not send me the full original picture some cats are going to be eliminated cos couldnt get full cat on the space they will allow cos the machines work strictly to set sizes unlike out puters.

I have tried to whittle the number of cats down with little succes, except cos of the machine and unless something happens before Thursday , I am just gonna have to discuss the cat with my tutor.

Have to say I am drawn to three inparticular now I have seen the prints, well maybe 4 and a 5th I think is out cos of the photos, which is really annoying.

So thats it really until Thursday and there could be a surprise  :innocent:

Offline Manc Cat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #130 on: January 15, 2010, 13:50:43 PM »
They are indeed and would love to see a big one of the little picture  ;D

I have one I could email thats full size.

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #129 on: January 15, 2010, 08:52:54 AM »
Well to bump up his chances Nova has a ginger mush  :evillaugh:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #128 on: January 15, 2010, 03:37:46 AM »
Late entry from Downunder ... just to confuse you further... ;)

Oh wow! Skippy!  :evillaugh: Lovely to see him Jo!  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #127 on: January 14, 2010, 14:44:58 PM »
They are indeed and would love to see a big one of the little picture  ;D

Offline Manc Cat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #126 on: January 14, 2010, 14:00:09 PM »
Here are 3 I have on work computer. Black cats are hard to photograph!!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #125 on: January 14, 2010, 13:38:45 PM »
Yes I can see there have been nearly a 1000 drools on this thread LOL

I would never ask them to go nude :shocked: I only do with fur suits  :rofl: :rofl:

I am gonna need a lot of luck with this project  :innocent:

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #124 on: January 14, 2010, 13:34:23 PM »
Good luck Gill, I am envious of anyone who can draw and paint cos I'm rubbish  :rofl: This thread also gave us a perfect excuse (as if we needed one) to drool over some fabulous cats  ;D

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #123 on: January 14, 2010, 13:30:22 PM »
Good luck Gill - you've got some brill cats to be working with - hope you don't ask them to go nude  :rofl: :rofl:

Mary

Link to CatChat