Author Topic: i am looking for a great cat picture.....Pastel has commenced WIP  (Read 28259 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: i am looking for a great cat picture.....Pastel has commenced
« Reply #202 on: February 04, 2010, 19:30:26 PM »
Thanks Teresa  ;D

In the gallery is a battered Tom although maybe not as battered as you mean, its Sylvias Tabs , I think his name is.

I suppose I would have to have a real reason for doing a cat who is seriously battered and permanently disfigured but I am sure it would be a challenge just the same as any other cat.  ;D

One spends so much time doing these that its hard not to become attached and right now I dont think I am attached to Winston but only about 10 hrs in!

Timothy and especially Zephyr, I was so attached to, probably also cos they were the first two I have done really serioulsy and both have been hung in an exhibition. The thought of Zephyr going up for sale made me ill and thankfully he wasnt accepted for that exhibition.

When I put them into the Art Societys Show both went in Not for Sale.  ;D

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #201 on: February 04, 2010, 19:22:40 PM »
Love the see through ear Gill  :evillaugh: :naughty: :rofl: :Luv2: :hug:

It's looking brilliant, well done you.

Mary
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 19:23:23 PM by maryas »
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #200 on: February 04, 2010, 19:16:41 PM »
Gill you are very talented pic is brilliant,

I would love to see you attempt a pic of a battered old tom though, maybe not as pretty but full of character if you understand  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #199 on: February 04, 2010, 19:14:04 PM »
If you go into the gallery through one of the top buttons , you will find Timothy that was done two years ago and he is framed now and in my bedroom. Thats why I am out of practise with cats. I did a big owl last year which has been waiting to be framed since July.....sigh

There is also Zephyr who is framed and in pencil and a couple of other things  :rofl: :rofl:

You will also see Gillians work and she works her pastels on a different paper to mine and once the current paper is finished I will be changing to a yet more expensive paper that will work even better.

All of us have different styles and I know you will not believe me but I only started learning to draw 3/4 years ago and took a beginners art class with a great tutor, the good side is that I learnt loads and some of the work like the wolf were in the first year, the down side or not, is that she teaches across the mediums so I dabble in pencil, pastel, pen and ink. watercolour, acylic and oil! The later two she hasnt taught me, oh I did one session on acrylic with her but that was it.

She runs the club class that I am going to on thursdays where Winston is being done but she lets me get on with it and knows I dont like her dabbling with my pictures unless I ask for help. For me part of the wonder is learning how to do things by watching and especially just doing.

BUTTTTTTTTTTTTT anyone can draw with the right tutor and I watched about 15 of us all start from nothing in Year 1 Art and watched as everyone grew......we were shown pictures done by the previous year 1 and we all gasped and muttered we will never be able to do anything like that......and how wrong we were. It was a wonderful journey  ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #198 on: February 04, 2010, 18:59:25 PM »
Seeing the picture on here the bloomin nose still needs to move across a bit......sigh

Yes that is why I was critical of the first one cos I knew it was not  going to end up how I wanted it to be.

I am very slow at doing these cos like to study them between each attempt, one sees so much with a break. If I get stuck or fed up now, I will put it away for a few weeks and go back to it and start another one of another cat  ;D

One of the big challenges will be Winstons bib cos I want to put that in with fat fur lol, and havent done fat fur before. The final challenge will be the back ground colour and then the finishing touches to the edges of the cat after background has gone in. However that is so far away  :rofl: :rofl:

Oh I forgot, the nightmare of the whiskers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Mollys Slave

• Senior Cat
« Reply #197 on: February 04, 2010, 18:51:14 PM »
There is a huge difference between this latest WIP  and the one you posted earlier - this is remarkable - I really do admire those with talent like this - it must be the most amazing feeling to be able to create from scratch - I am enjoying seeing the (many) changes - there is a lot of work going into this Gill -  the attention to detail is beginning to show now - and yeah, I agree, the nose on this WIP is  better, now that there is the comparison with this and your earlier one (which I still though was very good),  I can fully appreciate you being critical of yourself - it's clear you are very skilled and 'knew' you could make it even better.     ;D   I'm mortified at my own earlier (very genuine btw :rofl: attempt!)

Damn you artistic folks,  I'm away to play nice with my blue ballpoint pen.   :shify:  ;D

Am I allowed to ask to see any of your other ones that you've completed in the past?  (or am I pushing my luck!)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 18:55:25 PM by Mollys Slave »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #196 on: February 04, 2010, 18:28:01 PM »
I do hope the fur is getting better even more now lol and the nose is now in the right place I think, although it will be studied for the next week. More work needs to be done on the eyes still and the mputh and , well most of it ...........sigh

I am hoping he will now be watching me going up and down stairs and if so he is getting there.

This is just WIP and has loads of hours work to go  :shify:

Offline Mollys Slave

• Senior Cat
« Reply #195 on: February 04, 2010, 17:40:14 PM »
I like the fur better in the second one

Me too!    The second one you've post is very good indeed Gill.  ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #194 on: February 04, 2010, 16:26:53 PM »
I like the fur better in the second one

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #193 on: February 04, 2010, 16:26:35 PM »
He looks too much like a tiger now and today I moved the nose again so think its in right place but you can see that later  :shify:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #192 on: February 04, 2010, 16:24:39 PM »
OK cat lovers this is the new version of WIP Winston that was done last week to replace the one you have seen, after you have digested that LOL, I will put up todays revamp of it tonight maybe  :rofl:

It still will have hours of work to be done  but its double the size of the first one  ;D

Offline Mollys Slave

• Senior Cat
« Reply #191 on: February 03, 2010, 23:36:14 PM »
Mary, having seen the piccy that Gill is working on - Gill.... the WIP on 'this' one is excellent - nose, mouth look more than 'exact' to my untrained eye.    ;D   I echo Mary's compliments! 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #190 on: February 03, 2010, 20:43:33 PM »
i am hoping to go to class for a couple of hours tomorrow and see if the move of the nose and other tweaks will make the new one better, i can always fall back to this one if i need to cos its not going anywhere  ;D

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #189 on: February 03, 2010, 20:39:35 PM »
Just looked back at his photo to compare and you're doing very well Gill. :clap: :clap:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #188 on: February 03, 2010, 18:39:54 PM »
This is looking good Gill, I don't think you should abandon this one - think you should continue as its coming along nicely. Persian noses are very difficult to do, I know.  :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #187 on: February 03, 2010, 17:54:09 PM »
thank you both  :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #186 on: February 03, 2010, 17:52:13 PM »
Well , as Winstons slave -i think that is bloody good ! It does look like him - can''t wait to see it when you consider it finished !

Offline Mollys Slave

• Senior Cat
« Reply #185 on: February 03, 2010, 16:35:17 PM »
I've just had a good look at this -  the eyes are so realistic (not your overcritical view of them - but the irises - specifically the irises) - how you (and other artists) are able to capture the depth and composition of the shades and flecks - I see what you mean about getting that as the starting point  -   you undersell yourself Ms Gill - and do yourself a huge injustice.

I bet your black&white pastels are fab!  ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #184 on: February 03, 2010, 15:38:49 PM »
well yes it is remotely like a cat and possible aslo like Winston but the new one had to go onto darker paper, which is disoirting the colours I think and right now looks more like a tiger than a cat bit hope fully a nose change will turn him closer to Winston.

I prefer the colours on this one grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

However loads of hours of work to go  :innocent:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #183 on: February 03, 2010, 15:37:29 PM »
i think it's pretty good too

Offline Mollys Slave

• Senior Cat
« Reply #182 on: February 03, 2010, 15:35:11 PM »
OK , here is the first attempt WIP of Winston lol and is currently abandoned cos of being too small and the newer one looks worse cos nose is too low and not across as much but you will have to wait for that one  :rofl: :rofl:

You must remember that any WIP pic is just that and hours and hours of work to go  :innocent:

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

OMG - the way you were talking Gill I thought it would be nothing remotely like a cat..... this is FAB!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #181 on: February 03, 2010, 15:31:00 PM »
OK , here is the first attempt WIP of Winston lol and is currently abandoned cos of being too small and the newer one looks worse cos nose is too low and not across as much but you will have to wait for that one  :rofl: :rofl:

You must remember that any WIP pic is just that and hours and hours of work to go  :innocent:

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Offline Mollys Slave

• Senior Cat
« Reply #180 on: February 03, 2010, 13:07:17 PM »
Kocka used to just sit or lie there with the tip of her tongue out and against her grey fur looked funny, The only way it went in again was if I touched it LOL

I would love to to do pics of loads of the cats on here and last year didnt do any cats , except failed attempts at Franta but this year I am going to have a cat or two on the go all the time.

Problem is with pastels , its no good in the rain and we have so much rain often I cant get them to the car to take to my classes.

Franta is a problem to do cos of his dark face, just comes out one colour in pics a bit like many black cats.

must try and take a photo of Winston today just for the record you underestand  :rofl: :rofl:

*Drums fingers on desk and waits patiently*   :evillaug

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #179 on: February 03, 2010, 12:28:01 PM »
Kocka used to just sit or lie there with the tip of her tongue out and against her grey fur looked funny, The only way it went in again was if I touched it LOL

I would love to to do pics of loads of the cats on here and last year didnt do any cats , except failed attempts at Franta but this year I am going to have a cat or two on the go all the time.

Problem is with pastels , its no good in the rain and we have so much rain often I cant get them to the car to take to my classes.

Franta is a problem to do cos of his dark face, just comes out one colour in pics a bit like many black cats.

must try and take a photo of Winston today just for the record you underestand  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Mollys Slave

• Senior Cat
« Reply #178 on: February 03, 2010, 12:18:03 PM »
if anyone does wish to doodle dudley feel free, i dont mind. bless him, hes speshul lol, im sure no normal cat would wake up, sit there with their tongue out long enough for me to find the camera and take a pic, and still sit looking at me until i poked it back in again! he also snores (he apparently could have slight asthma the vet said  :shocked: ) and he dribbles...as soon as you go near him to fuss him, he just lets it drip off his bottom lip  :innocent:

i love him to bits  :Luv2: just wish i could cuddle him and not swell up and itch  :'(

What is it with 'us' - I have that urge to 'touch' Molly's wee tongue on the rare occasion she sticks it out too   :evillaugh:     One of my old cats, Black, she had a raised palate and snored louder than any human - so badly that she would wake me up with the noise, and I'd have to prod her to get her out of her  very deep snoring sleep so I could get back to sleep myself   :rofl: - her normal breathing was super loud too.

The more I hear about Dudley, the  more I am falling inlove with him.

Offline kel1982

• Adult Cat
« Reply #177 on: February 03, 2010, 10:38:22 AM »
if anyone does wish to doodle dudley feel free, i dont mind. bless him, hes speshul lol, im sure no normal cat would wake up, sit there with their tongue out long enough for me to find the camera and take a pic, and still sit looking at me until i poked it back in again! he also snores (he apparently could have slight asthma the vet said  :shocked: ) and he dribbles...as soon as you go near him to fuss him, he just lets it drip off his bottom lip  :innocent:

i love him to bits  :Luv2: just wish i could cuddle him and not swell up and itch  :'(

Offline Mollys Slave

• Senior Cat
« Reply #176 on: February 02, 2010, 22:43:39 PM »

In an effort to show how little talent I have -  this is my best effort.   :rofl:    I don't expect any replies until you all recover and pick yourselves up off the floor laughing at me!

It take it this is your 'blue period' ?  :evillaugh:

LOL!  I'll have you know I used my very best 5* medium nib blue ball pen with rubber grips.  t'is my  5* Blue period.   :rofl:

I'd love to see someone do Mr Dudley with his tongue out - I mean someone who can actually draw - not my valieant but rubbish effort!- it's a cracker of a photograph of dudley!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #175 on: February 02, 2010, 22:36:46 PM »

In an effort to show how little talent I have -  this is my best effort.   :rofl:    I don't expect any replies until you all recover and pick yourselves up off the floor laughing at me!

It take it this is your 'blue period' ?  :evillaugh:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #174 on: February 02, 2010, 21:39:15 PM »
we shall see  :innocent:

Offline Mollys Slave

• Senior Cat
« Reply #173 on: February 02, 2010, 21:36:38 PM »
You know..... when I mentioned the hind leg, I realised Molly was transparent in places.      What a special cat I have!   :briggin: :briggin: :rofl:

Somehow Gill, I think  the only drawing bringing about smirks of mirth  - will be mine.    :shify:  :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #172 on: February 02, 2010, 21:24:42 PM »
The only thing that worries me about your drawing is the see through body  :rofl: :rofl:

I am ,if I get a chance going to take pictures of the attempts amd maybe when something more reasonable has started then we can have a laugh  :innocent:

Offline Mollys Slave

• Senior Cat
« Reply #171 on: February 02, 2010, 21:22:04 PM »
PMSL !!! 

I am  however somewhat concerned about the swelling on her right hind leg and the ratherr severe angle it sits at  - I wonder if I should take her to the vet?   :rofl:

Now you see what I mean though -  hence why I AM looking forward to when your inspiration comes, that you do the WIP.   
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 21:37:33 PM by Mollys Slave »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #170 on: February 02, 2010, 21:15:22 PM »
Noooooooo they are all bent up and Frantas paws look like that if he is on his back and he can walk fine  ;D

Offline Mollys Slave

• Senior Cat
« Reply #169 on: February 02, 2010, 21:04:20 PM »
Thank you for the laugh , I need some today  :rofl:

I love Mollys picture  ;D

I've don't have sense of artistic perspective have I, never mind artistic ability

If Molly  'was' my drawing and an accurate one, if she tried to walk - I've just realised that her face would batter off the ground - so short I've made her front legs.    :censored: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #168 on: February 02, 2010, 20:51:21 PM »
Thank you for the laugh , I need some today  :rofl:

I love Mollys picture  ;D

Offline Mollys Slave

• Senior Cat
« Reply #167 on: February 02, 2010, 20:47:07 PM »
*cough*  Picasso  *cough*   heh heh   http://www.sgallery.net/artnews/data/upimages/2007/08/picasso.jpg   :rofl:

I know what you mean!!

Ah, yes well, of course, except if you are Picasso LOL!  :evillaugh:

Yeah, but didn't he have to die before his talent was recognised?    !!!  (sorry.....Sneakiefeline...... that DID NOT come across right!).  :rofl: :rofl:

I think I'll shut up before I start needing a bigger shovel for the hole I am digging myself into here!

No competition eh Gill SF!!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 21:10:56 PM by Mollys Slave »

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #166 on: February 02, 2010, 19:46:40 PM »
*cough*  Picasso  *cough*   heh heh   http://www.sgallery.net/artnews/data/upimages/2007/08/picasso.jpg   :rofl:

I know what you mean!!

Ah, yes well, of course, except if you are Picasso LOL!  :evillaugh:

Offline Mollys Slave

• Senior Cat
« Reply #165 on: February 02, 2010, 18:00:01 PM »
Your artistic lecense allows you to portray Winston as you 'see' him  :rofl:

Quite right! I know you want your painting to look exactly like the photo - but a painting isnt an exact copy. Of course, you want to get everything in the right place LOL! - but from that, comes your interpretation of Winston, thats what makes artists artists after all. I mean if you got lots of artists to all draw a picture of the same thing, all the pictures would look different, but they would still all look like the thing they drew - if you catch my drift?!!

I know what you mean!!  Both of the Gill's I mean - I get you both!  ;)
MR DUDLEY.  You are one gorgeous bit of eyefluff!  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv:  I'm so jealous you got him with his tongue sticking out.   Mols doesn't do this enough.   

Offline Mollys Slave

• Senior Cat
« Reply #164 on: February 02, 2010, 17:57:28 PM »
Your artistic lecense allows you to portray Winston as you 'see' him  :rofl:

Quite right! I know you want your painting to look exactly like the photo - but a painting isnt an exact copy. Of course, you want to get everything in the right place LOL! - but from that, comes your interpretation of Winston, thats what makes artists artists after all. I mean if you got lots of artists to all draw a picture of the same thing, all the pictures would look different, but they would still all look like the thing they drew - if you catch my drift?!!

I know what you mean!!
MR DUDLEY.  You are one gorgeous bit of eyefluff!  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv:  I'm so jealous you got him with his tongue sticking out.   Mols doesn't do this enough.   

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #163 on: February 02, 2010, 16:27:13 PM »
OMG where's Dinah????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh.  :phew:  Panic over.  Thought you'd nabbed her for a minute  ;)

Link to CatChat