Author Topic: Would 3 kittens be too much?  (Read 6129 times)

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
Re: Would 3 kittens be too much?
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2006, 21:44:41 PM »
I have 4 and have to say that I think that as long as you have the funds time and space for them go for it :)
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

Online Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2006, 16:13:31 PM »
For Iain McT - all are wanted and mainly lifes rejects but they have us well trained and seek us both out a different times although one can get 4 boys on ones knee when they want to also the ferals have quality laser pen time and most of our ferals are people cats but don't do touchy feely but are now working up to head bashing legs in the kitchen should roast beef be involved - not bad for 2 years of very hard work!

Others like to interact but don't do the human thing but live happily with the other cats and the dogs, in fact most people can't tell our domestics from the ferals unless they move suddenly or try to stroke them then the cats leave the room but come back as they like "laser pen time".

Feeding takes 32 mins from uplift of old bowls to new bowls with biscuits and wet food in 20 double bowls, also includes washing and drying of said bowls - 18 litter boxes 20 mins or so and having done it for over 10 years it is a habit that I wouldn't swap for the world.

By the way they are 20 ferals, 16 domestics and 1 rescue raggie - ages from 21 to 1 and with varying degrees of issues some ferals are nicer than the domestics and visa versa oh also walk the dogs 5 miles a day including before work so it can be done and I would have them unless we could cater for their every need - and we do!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline IainMcT

• Adult Cat
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2006, 11:32:56 AM »
And the EU want to ban cat furr. No chance says little Sid. He had a bit of his back shaven at the vet the other day and says that's drafty enough thank you very much. He's hanging onto his furr.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2006, 11:25:37 AM »
Cats do things when you are sleeping and when you are out...............just look at my name cos it sums it up  :rofl:

I thought till two nights ago that Sasa never came near the computer but came down in the night and caught her with a very guilty look round by my computer chair where I never ever seen her before. Then suddenly Misa gets hypo cos he has seen something moving and is rushing along the back of the sofa, which now has claw marks all over the leather..........sigh. Then I go in front room and Sasa is searching for something behind the curtains and all her 5kg plus is swinging on them.

The birmans guard the stairs from the top at night to stop the other two sneaking upsators but I often see Misa hanging round the top when I get up cos birmans are asleep on bed by then.

Of course then there is ginger from up the road who sneaks in at night and eats the food!!!!

Cats will be cats and there is furrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr everywhere even in the car cos I wear fur all the time, fur in the keyboard I have just found and when I was at my watercolor class, fur was in my brushes and they were in a brush bag and hadnt even been out in the house...........groan. Now they want us to stretch the paper.....involves soaking it , attaching it wet to a board flat and then letting it dry horizontally without the surface getting damaged!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where I ask you can I do this without it having pawprints and indentations and maybe rips...............horizontal board  will be far to challenging for my cats not to get on top of...............groan.

But they are cats and I love em....................at the moment !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :grr: :catplay:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2006, 08:11:42 AM »
With the 2nd para I agree
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline IainMcT

• Adult Cat
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2006, 07:55:30 AM »

No cat hair in the bedrooms as the kittens are not allowed and won't be when they are adults as well.  they will be used to sleeping downstairs.  I start as i mean to go on, the kittens don't know there are bedrooms upstairs as the doors are always closed. 
Isabel

You say that but as a recent former kitten myself I know I would discover the bedrooms. That's just a challenge. And you must be out when childre are in some of the time. Bet there's plenty of kitten bedroom adventures when you're not around.

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2006, 23:39:28 PM »
I've spent the last five months with my 3 bengal kitties (now aged 8 & 9 mths) - would not be without them, their my babies  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Kimberley

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2006, 22:43:38 PM »
Cost is obviously a consideration but there are other things to think about. For starters how big is your lap? Can it accomodate three cats? How much cat hair can your computer key board take? How much naughtiness can you put up with? How much cuteness can you deal with on a daily basis? How much cat hair can you inhale when you are asleep and they sneak up and sit on your pillow?

Well there are 4 laps for the kittens to choose from with my three children :) No cat hair in the bedrooms as the kittens are not allowed and won't be when they are adults as well.  they will be used to sleeping downstairs.  I start as i mean to go on, the kittens don't know there are bedrooms upstairs as the doors are always closed.  They are not allowed in the kitchen either, never.

Isabel

I've had to take the curtains upstairs until the kittens are adults  :innocent:

Offline IainMcT

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2006, 22:12:43 PM »
Liz, are you serious? 37? Now if you don't mind me saying so that's cat craziness. I wash two wet food bowls, one dried food bowl and fill a water bowl twice a day. That's for two cats. You must spend your whole day feeding and washing cat bowls.

And can you really cuddle 37 cats each day? I know some are ferral but if I'm feeding a cat its going to have some lovin' whether it likes it or not. Mandu can be a bit of a wriggler when it comes to cuddles but I find a firm grip and a kitty headlock does the trick.

Offline isabel

• Adult Cat
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2006, 21:51:38 PM »
Just to give the unpopular view...
Maybe it's good that someone else took her? Three kittens swinging from the curtains sounds completely mental to me!
I've got one and that's all I could handle. Maybe an older, more chilled out kitty would be the way to go if you wanted another? They might be a good influence on the kittens!

Give blood! They'll give you biscuits...

Online Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2006, 21:51:05 PM »
As a mother of 37 currently I remember the days of our fab 3 - Sweetie, Toerag and Tiger, now Sweetie is still in charge and Tiger is oour alpha male and Toerag lost his life to an RTA aged 7.

Now they are leading another 35 of our own - feral, domestic and the posh tottie Ragdoll.

We work to keep them and if you can afford it go for it your life will be more fun but 3 does lead to 4 and beyond!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline IainMcT

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2006, 21:10:33 PM »
Cost is obviously a consideration but there are other things to think about. For starters how big is your lap? Can it accomodate three cats? How much cat hair can your computer key board take? How much naughtiness can you put up with? How much cuteness can you deal with on a daily basis? How much cat hair can you inhale when you are asleep and they sneak up and sit on your pillow?

Offline Kimberley

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2006, 18:55:57 PM »
Thanks Helen, thats a great help :)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2006, 18:52:16 PM »
Yes thats where i get the frontline from, i may also get the worming tablets from there also as the vets gave me worming paste, it's messy trying to give the kittens it. How do you give tablets to them?

My two growing up :)

I hide mine in various treats but you have a blank canvas with them being so young (really wish I had mastered it when Tiggy was a baby).  Here is a video on how to give tablets...

http://www.felinevideos.vet.cornell.edu/pill_or_capsule/2.htm

Just checked the Drontal packet, which deals with tapeworm and roundworm, and it says 'Not intended for use in kittens less than 6 weeks of age' so should be fine to give your little ones.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 18:56:08 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline Kimberley

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2006, 18:48:00 PM »
It is prob a good thing that you have worked out now if you can afford it, then if one comes up again, you know. I have to say that insurance sounds high for kittens - I had a 14, 13 and 11 year old insured for just over £24, and now it is just the 13 and 11 it is just over £14 I think.

The insurance is with Nil excess amount.  £24 would be for 3 kittens, at the mo it's £16 for my two.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2006, 18:42:09 PM »
It is prob a good thing that you have worked out now if you can afford it, then if one comes up again, you know. I have to say that insurance sounds high for kittens - I had a 14, 13 and 11 year old insured for just over £24, and now it is just the 13 and 11 it is just over £14 I think.
Please spay your cat

Offline Kimberley

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2006, 18:40:22 PM »
If you can afford it financially then I'd say go for it.  With regards the frontline and wormers did you know that you can get it online, without a prescription, much cheaper than at the vets?  I use vetuk for all my cats tablets etc.  If you click on the vetuk link on this website www.chesterfieldcats.co.uk  (Cats Protection at Chesterfield)they get a donation from vetuk too!

Yes thats where i get the frontline from, i may also get the worming tablets from there also as the vets gave me worming paste, it's messy trying to give the kittens it. How do you give tablets to them?

My two growing up :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2006, 18:37:07 PM »
If you can afford it financially then I'd say go for it.  With regards the frontline and wormers did you know that you can get it online, without a prescription, much cheaper than at the vets?  I use vetuk for all my cats tablets etc.  If you click on the vetuk link on this website www.chesterfieldcats.co.uk  (Cats Protection at Chesterfield)they get a donation from vetuk too!

Offline Kimberley

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2006, 18:33:25 PM »
I've already got M&S insurance for the two i have now at £16 and extra kitty would cost £24 a month for all 3. I can afford that amount as my wages have increased by £53 a month. All i need to find is the frontline money and worming money and for the litter and food of course, which i'm giving them Royal Canin and Naturesmenu. At the moment i'm using Tesco value litter and that lasts me two weeks for two kittens and costs only £1.78, it's pretty good.

I would really like a Bengal girl/boy but with how much they cost i'll have to wait until after the new year, thats why i went for the Bengal X because she looked just like her Bengal mum.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2006, 18:05:11 PM »
I agree with everyone else - what it has to come down to is money.

As for having 3 kittens at once, i had 4 kittens and it was brilliant !!

Offline Yvie

• Adult Cat
  • Pepper
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2006, 17:17:49 PM »
If I had my way I'd be knee deep in cats/kittens.    :luck:However.....it's a responsible job. Can you afford the outlay? The time? It's a balancing act.
Think about it very seriously. Good luck XXX
A cat is more intelligent than people believe, and can be taught any crime.
Mark Twain.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2006, 15:56:20 PM »
I am sure there will soon be another little one desperate for a loving home.

Offline Kimberley

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2006, 15:54:44 PM »
Thanks Guys

Sadly the women who told me about the kitten has let her go to someone who answered her ad  :-[ Bah!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 12:55:25 PM »
I've got my two kittens and Ollie the foster, it's a bit expensive as regards food and litter and you really need to make sure everyone's insured properly... but hey if you can afford it then go for it!  :luck:
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 12:47:44 PM »
I dont think the number is relevant but the cost certainly is, so if you have the space , the time and can afford it..........go for it.

But remember that kittens grow up to be biggggggggg cats and they can be very demanding. I know cos I got 4 and when they all want attention in different parts of house and I trying to work , it can get friustrating.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 11:37:58 AM »
I know lots of people who have 3 cats and that's fine.  I would go for a nice round number (as Ela said) so 2 or  probably 4, (we always have 2)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 09:15:37 AM »

Offline shecat

• Senior Cat
  • Tilly Ollie and Loki
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 09:13:01 AM »
I agree, just think of the costs carefully.  My o/h came home a week ago and said there was a stray kitten who needed a home.  :'( I wouldn't even see it until I worked out we could afford it.  Im glad I did it that way cos when I saw him it was love at first sight :hug: He is now settling in nicely  following Wizz's introduction tecnique .  So go for it. :luck: :Luv:

Offline Mimi (Mewg)

• Senior Cat
  • Phoebe, Nellie & Libby
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 09:02:43 AM »
Hi Kimberley,

As Ela says, if you can afford all the extra outlay that three entail (insurance/vet fees, extra food, toys etc!) I would say go for it! Especially as you will be doing this poor little one a favour!

We have three, all with roughly one month between them - they are approximately 8 months, 7 months and 6 months. We got Libby first at 3 months, then introduced Nellie a month later and so on. Libby and Nellie took to each other immmediately, but when we got Phoebe 2 months after Nellie she was more eager to make friends than the other two were. Initially Libby and Phoebe were curious about each other, which soon developed into playing together. Nellie (like the typical middle child) was less keen on the newcomer and took three or four weeks to become friends with Phoebe (despite Phoebe's best efforts!) Now they all adore each other and do everything together!

If you follow Wizz's advice re:introducing a new puss, which I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will post a link to, I'm sure everything will be fine - go on go for it - you know you want to!

Only trouble is as Ela said - three will inevitably lead to four! LOL! :rofl:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 08:23:59 AM »
If you have the funds for 3 then it would be fine, as long as they get on of course, however, if you have 3 I always think 4 is a  nice round number.

Offline Kimberley

• Adult Cat
Would 3 kittens be too much?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 08:17:04 AM »
I already have two 11 week old kitten boys, but i'm thinking of taking in another who needs a new home.  She is lonely and unwanted.  She is a 12 week old Bengal x Abyssinian. She looks more like her spotted bengal mum, she's really cute.

I would have her, but would i be taking on too much? I know some of you have 3 or more cats, so i'm asking you experienced peeps   :innocent:

I'll catch up on this thread after i get back in from work.

Thanks

Link to CatChat