Author Topic: Friend's cat started having fits  (Read 3614 times)

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
Re: Friend's cat started having fits
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2010, 17:14:47 PM »
Hiya , weakness in the hind legs is a side effect. My Ollie had that for some time and even now he falls over at times. They defo need to check the level of the Pheno in the blood. I have the other problem re agression. Ollies sister Tyler has been the aggressive one. Think it is as she sees her brother different now.

I would be interested to know how she is and re doseage etc. its a bit worrying in an older cat

:hug: :hug: to Poppy
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2010, 13:39:54 PM »
Hi, thanks for asking,  :thanks: sorry not responded before, not been online much recently.

Apparently, Poppy hasnt had another fit since starting the phenobarb. I'm not sure of the dosage, but I think they have noticed some possible side effects? like weakness in the back legs ? she's also been particularly aggressive to one of their other cats in particular - I mean, she always has been the 'matriarch' of the familyl! and at food times she will often bash the others if they come near her LOL! but never quite as aggressively as this. Not sure if this has settled down now though. Not sure about the bladder control when fitting - I will be seeing my friends soon, so will find out a bit more then - I don't think theres been any mention of regular blood tests for the effect of the phenobarb on the liver - I will mention this when I see them.

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2010, 09:37:13 AM »
Gillian, how is your friends cat getting on???
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 13:04:31 PM »
What doseage of phenobarbitol has the vet given Poppy.

My cat has epilepsy and the Small Animal Hospital and the vet told me that unless a cat has more than about 6 fits in less than 6 months they do not usually recomend phenobarbitol as it has serious side effects and also can cause a lot of problems with the cats liver. You will have to get blood tests done every two, then a month and then every 6 months or two weeks after every dose change. I have spent several hoursa talking to an animal neurologist regarding the whole epilepsy thing. It scares me that a cat of that age has been given phenobarbitol as my we Ollie is only six and i have been through hell with him because of his epilepsy and the side effects.

The small animal hospital in glasgow advised they dont like giving phenobarbitol unless really necessary as side effects can be so bad.

Gill will prob back me up in this as she gave me a lot of support with Ollie. He pretty much had no quality of life for about a month.

Personally i hope it is a very low dose of phenobarbitol and please make sure u get blood tests done in two weeks as you dont want poppys liver damaged

I totally agree with gill but does not sound like epilepsy to me. Does poppy loose control of her bladder when fitting?
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2009, 16:45:29 PM »
Fingers crossed
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2009, 07:02:25 AM »
Hope that the meds help her xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2009, 01:34:39 AM »
Vet has given Poppy phenobarbitol for the fits.

That seems overkill to me and she is assuming epilepsy which to be honest is unlikely I think.

I do hope Poppy will be Ok  :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 23:14:32 PM »
Loads of positive healing vibes to Poppy from us here and hope she doesn;'t have any more and has lots more years left yet  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline CoolCyberCats

• Adult Cat
    • CoolCyberCats
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 20:54:17 PM »
No possible explantion on the cause?

"Cats Nap. Only Humans Put Them To Sleep." : Sterilize, Don't Euthanize!

Monthly contest with prize for winner cat: www.CoolCatPix.com

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 20:29:51 PM »
Vet has given Poppy phenobarbitol for the fits.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 16:46:19 PM »
Thanks all  :thanks: I've just been round to see them, they've got an appointment at 5pm. Poppy looked ok when I saw her, seemed to have recovered from the fit this morning. Apparently when they phoned for an appointment, brain tumour was mentioned - thing is, what is the vet going to be able to do today? - and with no surgery tomorrow or boxing day, wonder if she will be kept in? They use the same vet as me and the vet lives above the surgery, so is on hand if Poppy needs to be kept in I guess. Anyway, we will know soon what is going to happen.

Tell the owner if the vet is ummming and ahhhhhing to tell him about the marbocyl, I can give you the dosage that franta ahd and he is a small cat or now under 4kgs.

Thanks Gill, I would imagine Poppy is under 4 kg, she was quite thin at one time, but in fact over the past 6 months or so she's put on a bit of weight and was looking the picture of health  :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 15:45:03 PM »
Could be the teeth that have saused an infection and other than that it will be hard to tell.................I would recommend a very strong ab like marbocyl for 7 days and injectiona are the best way.

As she has had only two in 24 hours does not sound like epilepsy but could be a tumour in the brain but most vets do not have the knowledge to deal with and 18 is quite old.

Tell the owner if the vet is ummming and ahhhhhing to tell him about the marbocyl, I can give you the dosage that franta ahd and he is a small cat or now under 4kgs.

It should not be left cos it wonrt go away if its an infection but just get worse and at 18 like Franta at 16 there is no harm gonna be done by trying the marbocyl although she will also need lacto B in a bout 4 days cos it is so powefrul it will upset her tummy

Lots of love to Poppy and hope this can be sorted very quick  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 15:41:53 PM »
Sending tons of positive healing vibes her way!  :hug: :hug:

Offline CoolCyberCats

• Adult Cat
    • CoolCyberCats
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 14:40:29 PM »
Poppy is a lovely cat. I will keep her in my thought and prayers and I hope they find out what is wrong quickly.

"Cats Nap. Only Humans Put Them To Sleep." : Sterilize, Don't Euthanize!

Monthly contest with prize for winner cat: www.CoolCatPix.com

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 13:23:48 PM »
 :Luv2: She's lovely Gillian, not sure what could have caused the fits but hope that the vet visit goes well and she'll be ok  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
Friend's cat started having fits
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 13:15:37 PM »
My friends who I cat sit for came round yesterday and said that their old cat Poppy had a bit of a 'funny turn', they'd thought at first she'd had a fit because she was on the bed and then suddenly she was on the floor on her back - but she seemed to recover and then came into the kitchen with the rest of the cats and ate her breakfast like nothing had happend - and even wanted more to eat! I must admit it did sound like a fit to me, but they thought it was just a one off.

Anyway, they've just phoned me to say it must have been a fit because Poppy's just had another one so they are trying to get an appointment with the vet today - they are scared about what the vets going to say - Poppy is 18, and apparently her teeth are pretty bad, but apart from that (and the fits of course) she has been fine, always eats well and still has 'mad five minutes' most days, still goes outside etc.

Wonder if her bad teeth have caused toxins - and that could be causing the fits? Or could it be something else? I can't think - high blood pressure perhaps? Please send vibes for Poppy, I love her like she was one of my own - she's such a character.

Link to CatChat