Author Topic: Spent the evening at the vet's with Leo  (Read 4250 times)

Offline Karon

• Adult Cat
Re: Spent the evening at the vet's with Leo
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 18:11:54 PM »
Poor Leo, I hope he's OK soon.   I can so sympathise with the paw prints in poo, one of ours is incontinent and, until we sorted his diet, would get the runs then trail it everywhere.  Lovely....

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 15:35:29 PM »
Hope Leo feels better soon - healing vibes are being sent to him  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 15:00:39 PM »
Aw hope Leo's tum feels better soon!  :Luv2: :hug:

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 13:17:38 PM »
Poor Leo, hope you are beter soon baby
xx
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 16:22:56 PM »
Poor Leo  :hug: :hug:

Lacto B is great for settleing their tums when abs cause a problem and its a fine powder that can be mixing with wet food. You can start it immediately and it will have no effect on the abs cos it just gets the good bacteria working again. Its a probiotic powder.

I buy mine from Vet Uk but suspect you will have an online source too.

I had Franta on it for months and months after the narbocyl caused him real probs tummywise cos they are so strong. He is no longer on it as his tummy finally cleared a couple of months ago.

Offline CoolCyberCats

• Adult Cat
    • CoolCyberCats
And the story continues.
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 15:09:54 PM »
And the story continues.
I wake early this morning to the smell of poop in the room. In know Leo has problems getting into the litter box sometimes especially if he has diarrhea, so I know he likely went in the box and failed to bury it or he missed the box. There is a puppy training pad outside the litter box because of this, but the pad only extends out about 8 inches. Any more and Nova likes to claw it up and into the box as he shreds it. (don’t ask me why, I’ve no clue) I get up and hit the light and see poop cat prints from the bathroom to the bed! The antibiotics shot yesterday gave him diarrhea (which antibiotics do to him) and he went outside of the box and off the pad! He did it onto the tile floor then stepped in it with his back 2 paws and tried to shake the stuff off, which then spattered it all over the wall, floor and carpet outside the bathroom! If I was not so upset it would be almost comedic. Leo was on the bed with brown rear paws looking upset too! So I grabbed him and took him to the other bathroom and ran a sink full of warm water and had to wash him. He was really very upset with this and made it very hard. I ended up with poop on my t-shirt and a pissed off Leo. Still, I cleaned him off and then had to tackle the bathroom and carpet. We have an automatic stain remover/steamer by Bissle called Pet Spot Bot, and I had to set it up on at least 15 spots on the carpet to clean it all well. I then cleaned out the litter box, made a bleach solution and cleaned off the walls and floor. Then I had to fill a bucket with disinfectant and floor cleaner and mop up.

It was not a fun morning at all!

Leo had to be closed in the computer room alone today as we have to keep the other cats away from him a few days while the wounds heal. Here is the live cam view of the couch, where he is likely to be laying on the heated mat most of the day.

If it seems bright in there, I left the lights on for him.

If you look closely and he is laying right youc an see the area of his tail that the vet shaved.

"Cats Nap. Only Humans Put Them To Sleep." : Sterilize, Don't Euthanize!

Monthly contest with prize for winner cat: www.CoolCatPix.com

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 14:22:18 PM »
Hope Leo feels much better soon!  :Luv2: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 12:11:57 PM »
:get well: Leo :care:

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 10:25:05 AM »
Oh no!! Poor thing.

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 10:04:04 AM »
Ouchy poor leo - I bet he is reluctant to sit down at the moment! :Crazy:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 09:44:13 AM »
Awwww poor Leo, hope his poorly tail is much better soon  :hug: xxx

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 06:41:41 AM »
 :( Poor Leo, hope his tail is better soon  :hug: xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline CoolCyberCats

• Adult Cat
    • CoolCyberCats
Spent the evening at the vet's with Leo
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 05:54:05 AM »
This has just been “one of those” nights. It started as we got home from work. I opened the trunk of the car to get out the mail bins I should have in there (empty) and I realized that I failed to make the last trip to the post office with the tubes for mailing and had no bins! I had to rush back 30 minutes to the post office and do that. When I got back home it was about 6pm and I started my packing of sales. About 8pm it was time to give Leo his fluids and so I put him on the bathroom counter and as per our usual routine I put a small dish of food in front of him and took out my brush and began to brush him. I noticed some dried crud on his tail, about 2 inches or 3 from the base. I thought it was dried on poop and ran the brush over it. Leo got very upset and I noticed it flaked like dried blood. After using a washcloth to gently try and remove the blood, I noticed there was a lot more of it and Leo was really very upset. For him to hiss and growl loudly is so rare I knew something was not right. I could tell there was a wound but I could not clean it enough without upsetting him way too much, so I called his vet and had him come in after hours to meet me at the office. I was there till about 9:30pm. Seems one of the cats chomped his tail, I mean his whole mouth around the tail so there are 2 rows of teeth marks around the entire width, all punctures! And Leo’s anus was gouged with a claw! Leo is on antibiotics now, I have to use a warm compress 8 times a day on the wound and keep some cream on his anus scratch. Poor little guy. :(

I have check around well and under the master bed in the front I found more dried blood in the carpet. I am sure it happened there. There are only 2 possible scenarios…
1. Leo had a seizure under the bed today and it upset another cat who attacked.
2. Something made one of the cats attack him under the bed.

The area only had blood on the carpet, no urine, but Leo had had some seizures and not urinated, so I cannot rule out that he had a grand-mal. Orion and Apollo generally freak when he has a seizure too. Either way the most likely culprit is Orion followed by Apollo.

Leo will need to be separated from the others for a couple days, when we are at work too. Now we just have to make sure his tail or anus does not swell and become infected. Poor little guy :(.

"Cats Nap. Only Humans Put Them To Sleep." : Sterilize, Don't Euthanize!

Monthly contest with prize for winner cat: www.CoolCatPix.com

Link to CatChat