Author Topic: Help appreciated with my survey about cats!  (Read 3205 times)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
Re: Help appreciated with my survey about cats!
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2010, 00:30:27 AM »
Done - the best I could

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2009, 16:12:19 PM »
Done.

I found it difficult to estimate how long I interract with them each day as it does vary a lot.  Some evenings if I'm busy and they are being good, I probably don't spend that much time actually interracting (but always some time) whereas other evenings seem to be dominated by contant play and fuss!

I also found the 2nd page of questions a bit tricky as my views are not clear cut and for several questions I couldn't actually agree or disagree as my view tended to be "sometimes" or "sort of but firmly agree or disagree"!  However, I just chose the one I felt was nearest to how I think.  Hope it helps.

Offline Kucinta

• Adult Cat
  • Milo & Remy
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2009, 16:40:23 PM »
I have 2 beautiful cats, a female Oriental chocolate tortie called Tink and a male Singapura called Milo.

Have completed the questionaire, but my Singapura called Milo is a little miffed to hear he's not the only Singapura of that name!

Offline Tinkmilo

• Kitten
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2009, 20:57:46 PM »
Hi

I appreciate your attempts to be very specific! Of course it will vary day to day and between cats etc. However an approximation is absolutely fine and won't skew the results - that's my job to sort out  :)  When we piloted the questionnaire, the overall response from the vast majority of people was that this format was best as it allowed people to be as specific or 'general average' as they liked.

The last thing I want to do is create complications for people over the holiday period :) If the questions bother you, please feel free not to fill it in. For anyone who is happy to give their opinions where sometimes it may be a 'best guess' or 'overall' approach, I welcome your input and thank you very much!

A very merry Christmas to all
Nikki

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2009, 20:11:37 PM »
That is what stumped me. I started answering the questions but I couldn't possibly guess how much time I spend with each cat and if I thought about it too much, would have to admit that Alice gets more time than the others - but partly as she rarely leaves her bed next to me on the sofa  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2009, 19:41:30 PM »
Time interacting is not something you can guess. If I did do a wild guess then it would totally skew the results, which wouldn't be helpful. My cat spends an enourmous amount of time with me ... So much so I am thinking about getting a restraining order out on him  :evillaugh: during that time I will talk to him, play with him, stroke him, groom him, pick him up and hug him and ignore him. But it happens throughout an entire day .. So you see I honestly don't have a clue what it would average out to in hours/mins. I only know it's way too much time.

Because I honestly don't know the answer, I can't finish the questionnaire  :(

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2009, 19:21:45 PM »
Done  ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Tinkmilo

• Kitten
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 19:15:47 PM »
Thank you to all of you who have taken the time to complete the questionnaire!  :)

I understand that some of you have concerns about the structure of the questions; there are reasons for the questions being the way they are and I'm more than happy to come back and chat about the study once the results are in!

I realise it is sometimes difficult and uncomfortable to make a judgement if you're not sure, but we would be grateful if people could make their 'best guess' or overall assessment, and approximate time interacting etc.

We are particularly interested in certain factors which affect peoples' attitudes to indoor and outdoor cats, rather than every possible explanation or reason, so sorry if you weren't able to put something you felt was important but we tried to keep the questionnaire focused and not too long!

Have to say these questionnaires fail badly as a real study cos they are pushing to get ceratin answerrs rather than asking for the truth

I'm sorry you feel that way Gill, but I would just say that it isn't always clear as a respondent why questions are the way they are in a research questionnaire, rather than a general information-collecting survey.

If anyone has any further questions please feel free to let me know.

Thanks again so much, and a very Merry Christmas!  :)
Nikki

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 18:55:07 PM »
As gill says the questions push for answers that arent your actual opinion so i didnt complete it as its not going to reflect my actual feelings  :innocent:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 11:12:06 AM »
Done, but some on the last page should have a 'Dont know', or similar - I have never had a truly indoor cat, so i dont know if they will still want to go out.
Please spay your cat

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 10:52:59 AM »
Have done but like others would have liked an option to give a different answer to those provided.

Have to say these questionnaires fail badly as a real study cos they are pushing to get ceratin answerrs rather than asking for the truth

Thats what I thought  :shy:

guestimate

I like that one Den  :briggin:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 06:55:37 AM »
Done  ;D good luck!
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 22:27:54 PM »
Well i tried. It won't let me skip questions but I can't answer Q12 as I don't have a clue. I can't even guestimate - my preferred answer would be an awful lot - but to put it in hours/mins is not possible.

Sorry  :scared:

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 22:15:34 PM »
Done ... good luck with the Masters.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 22:03:14 PM »
I thought some questions were a bit contractive

the first page was straight forward  ;D
but the second  no inbetween for Agree or disagree

i.e. do cats annoy neighbours?? well some they do and some they dont !! answers to pick from YES - NO  :-:

I did try picking both  :evillaugh: it didn't work  :(
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 20:50:28 PM »
Have done but like others would have liked an option to give a different answer to those provided.

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 19:58:07 PM »
Good luck with the Masters  :)

Id have liked the option to qualify some of the answers, but hope they will be of use to you anyway  :briggin:
People Power Works!!!

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 05:02:46 AM »
Easy Peasy, though my preferred option for management of cat access was not given - i.e. they get let out in the morning and come in at night, but I do not open and shut doors for them unless they are driving me nuts. There are a number of options for getting into the house should they so desire.

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 01:45:01 AM »
I thought some questions were a bit contractive, so didn't finish  :shy:

also couldn't put the correct answers to some, like my cats ages for the last 3.
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 01:09:00 AM »
Done that for you.  ;)

It's a very basic Q&A and took about 3 minutes. Go on peeps, give Nikki a hand.... she might even stopt by and give us some help after she's passed the exams!  :evillaugh:

Offline Tinkmilo

• Kitten
Help appreciated with my survey about cats!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 20:34:05 PM »
Hi everyone!

My name is Nikki and I’m doing a Masters degree at Lincoln University with the aim of becoming a cat behaviourist. I have 2 beautiful cats, a female Oriental chocolate tortie called Tink and a male Singapura called Milo.

As part of our MSc in Clinical Animal Behaviour we are carrying out a survey about people and their cats. I would be really grateful if you would consider giving us your views by completing this questionnaire, the link is below. The information that we receive will be treated as anonymous and confidential and thank you very much for your help!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ZYDBQNQ

Merry Christmas!!
Nikki

Link to CatChat